Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM

320 posts, read 481,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Somehow the "religion of peace" will be involved in this. This is just a cold blooded murder of a soldier doing his duty. I feel for his family. It looks like they got one gunman, if there are more of them I hope they round them up quickly. No mercy for people who do this kind of thing. A couple nutcases putting a major city in panic and lockdown, this footage is very similar looking to those from the Boston bombing a few years ago. Its amazing and scary the damage just one or two people can do. Worse however is that this is the national center of government of Canada, so locking it down cost more, has more reprecussions.
At the CBC press conference, the authorities strongly hinted that it was a LONE gunman.

Last edited by Old Monkey; 10-22-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,331,904 times
I fear this will all but certainly continue and spread. It's a wakeup call. Unfortunate.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:10 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
At the CBC press conference, the authorities strongly hinted that it was a LONE gunman.

There has been all this talk on the news about terrorist organizations radicalizing North Americans and Europeans through the internet and other means so they can carry out this kind of attack. They are finding radicalized North Americans in Syria fighting with ISIS. I think this is a real possibility that whoever did this could be a homegrown terrorist from Canada, or possibly the US. I cant figure out what would make an American, Canadian or Brit join the terrorists, but it is happening. The fact that the government of Canada seems to be the target suggest there is an agenda by this person/persons. It could be unrelated to Islam, but with all the threats and other current events around the world it would not surprise me at all if it is. Obviously I don't know, but shorty we will find out. They will be going through the dead gunmans life with a fine tooth comb. We will know why he did it, and who else may have been involved.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM

739 posts, read 1,850,115 times
[QUOTE

I won't light a candle because it is completely useless and serves nobody any good.[/quote]

I disagree. Getting together with people who want to share their sadness is a way of grieving and knowing you're not alone in how you feel. The solidarity of people who share the experience of holding a candle for a person/reason/event can be uplifting at a time when it is meaningful.

People of Ottawa and all of Canada, your American friends are feeling your pain and wishing you strength in this time of sorrow. What happened today sucks.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM

320 posts, read 481,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There has been all this talk on the news about terrorist organizations radicalizing North Americans and Europeans through the internet and other means so they can carry out this kind of attack. They are finding radicalized North Americans in Syria fighting with ISIS. I think this is a real possibility that whoever did this could be a homegrown terrorist from Canada, or possibly the US. I cant figure out what would make an American, Canadian or Brit join the terrorists, but it is happening. The fact that the government of Canada seems to be the target suggest there is an agenda by this person/persons. It could be unrelated to Islam, but with all the threats and other current events around the world it would not surprise me at all if it is. Obviously I don't know, but shorty we will find out. They will be going through the dead gunmans life with a fine tooth comb. We will know why he did it, and who else may have been involved.
By "lone" I did not mean to imply that his motivations were necesssarily unlinked to terrorist literature or whatever. I simply meant, as indicated at the Ottawa press conference, that this attack was not a multi gunmen military attack, which was the initial assumption.

CBC coverage is relatively restrained, especially when compared to the shrill semi-hysterical tone of US cable news. At the same time, it seemed a little much for Mansbridge and Co. to compare the attack to the October Crisis and calling it Canada's "9-11."

Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,132,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The soldier is confirmed dead.
terrible news. Thoughts are with the deceased soldiers family.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
By "lone" I did not mean to imply that his motivations were necesssarily unlinked to terrorist literature or whatever. I simply meant, as indicated at the Ottawa press conference, that this attack was not a multi gunmen military attack, which was the initial assumption.

CBC coverage is relatively restrained, especially when compared to the shrill semi-hysterical tone of US cable news. At the same time, it seemed a little much for Mansbridge and Co. to compare the attack to the October Crisis and calling it Canada's "9-11."

Yea I saw the press conference, and it likely will end up being one man. However the authorities need to be sure about that before they sound an all clear. I agree about our cable news, they make ALOT of assumptions that are unproven, and drive up hysteria in order to bring in viewership. The quality of news reporting has gone way downhill. What is outrageous is how much hysteria one person can cause, what a shame he was not stopped before he took life.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:45 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,542,801 times
I'm not sure this is gonna be related to Islam. Probably some guy mad about some weird Harper policy or something. Wait it out before we make this an ISIS thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm not sure this is gonna be related to Islam. Probably some guy mad about some weird Harper policy or something. Wait it out before we make this an ISIS thing.

Yes this could be true, it could be more politically motivated. However if I were a betting man I would be betting on Islam, as much of the violence around the world seems to be related to this religion. In the end it doesn't matter much for the family of that poor man, he is still gone regardless of what this animals motivation was.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,501,951 times
Sad day for Canada. As a dual with family and friends in ON, some close to Ottawa, I was concerned about my cousin serving in the army, thank goodness it's not him and very sad for the family of the slain soldier.

Thank you RCMP and local police for a great job. What is going on with CSIS? They were tracking that other extremist, and a few days after talking to him he runs down 2 people and kills one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau