Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times

Advertisements

Breaking story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,534,884 times
Default Ottawa attack

The symbolic heart of our country has been attacked, and our people terrorized. This, following the tragic slaying of a member of our armed forces in St. Jean-sur-Richelieu days ago. Now is a time when we should put aside our differences and come together in solidarity with one another. My thoughts go out to the soldier shot guarding the collective memory of our nation at the national war memorial, my thanks go out to the brave men and women of the Ottawa police department, and my hopes go out to everyone on parliament hill as I hope for a quick and bloodless resolution to the ongoing situation there. Today is Diwali, the day that hope triumphs over despair, and I will be lighting a candle for my country.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 10-22-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,242,733 times
We are seeing our future.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Default Shooting At The Parliament War Memorial

Multiple shooters reported in Canada attack - CNN.com

Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM

126,299 posts, read 19,080,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The symbolic heart of our country has been attacked, and our people terrorized. This, following the tragic slaying of a member of our armed forces in St. Jean-sur-Richelieu days ago. Now is a time when we should put aside our differences and come together in solidarity with one another. My thoughts go out to the soldier shot guarding the collective memory of our nation at the national war memorial, my thanks go out to the brave men and women of the Ottawa police department, and my hopes go out to everyone on parliament hill as I hope for a quick and bloodless resolution to the ongoing situation there. Today is Diwali, the day that hope triumphs over despair, and I will be lighting a candle for my country.
Once again a very sad day for us,incomprehensible and utterly shocking.Once again too close to home in our peaceful nation. I too will go tonight and light a candle.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,738,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Once again a very sad day for us, incomprehensible and utterly shocking.Once again too close to home in our peaceful nation. I too will go tonight and light a candle.
sad and shocking yes, but considering the specific location of the attack, it is not that incomprehensible. Peaceful nation, are you sure?

I won't light a candle because it is completely useless and serves nobody any good.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
The soldier is confirmed dead.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 PM

126,299 posts, read 19,080,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The soldier is confirmed dead.
He was a reservist in Hamilton Argyll.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,177,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sad and shocking yes, but considering the specific location of the attack, it is not that incomprehensible. Peaceful nation, are you sure?

I won't light a candle because it is completely useless and serves nobody any good.
Dude if you can't say anything nice, at least show some humility and respect for the dead, candle or no candle. Not incomprehensible? So now you've just put on the detective hat and help us solve this murder Sherlock? I don't know this soldier personally, but at the very least I can show some compassion as a decent human being.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:28 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times
Somehow the "religion of peace" will be involved in this. This is just a cold blooded murder of a soldier doing his duty. I feel for his family. It looks like they got one gunman, if there are more of them I hope they round them up quickly. No mercy for people who do this kind of thing. A couple nutcases putting a major city in panic and lockdown, this footage is very similar looking to those from the Boston bombing a few years ago. Its amazing and scary the damage just one or two people can do. Worse however is that this is the national center of government of Canada, so locking it down cost more, has more reprecussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau