Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Parents need to control their children. Restaurant managers need to immediately invite those who don't to leave for the safety of all.

edited to add: A civil suit against the parents for medical expenses/lost wages would be appropriate, IMO.
I like the way you think. Most restaurant managers though seem to be unwilling to do the right thing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
BRAT??
Why would you call a kid a brat?
Name calling isnt necessary, I blame the parents,
I would of went up to the parents and asked for their information, and let them know they will be contacted into paying the doctor bill for having their child unsupervised.
But too many parents do let their kids run around,
My daughter was once in a dressing room and some little boy kept crawling under the door, his mom wouldnt say anything so she took the little boy to his mom and told her she needed to watch her son and she also told the manager of the store.
I would not call him a brat to his face however, I feel my use of the word is appropriate here because I'm venting my frustration in a non-harmful manner.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
Children and restaurants can often be a bad combo, except for the parents that absolutely make their children behave.

I love children, but if you can't keep them quiet and in their seat then you shouldn't really be taking them to restaurants.

I didn't agree with the public pool thread, that was ridiculous, but restaurants are different unless were talking about Chuck E Cheese.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,082 times
kicking the booth and making my water splash? OHHH somebodies kid is gonna get watered if it was me .. theres a limit .. I am likely to ask to be moved to a diffrent table/booth because of the kid but if thats not gonna happen then the kid will get told by me the one who is being annoyed that its time to stop .. pfft on mom for not taking her brat out and going to the car .. or the kid gets doused ..
personally I find that resturant managers will move me if asked and if they cant then I want my meal comped .. I didnt come to that place to be annoyed or aggervated ..
I can understand kids looking over the booth when they are little its normal but to touch my hair or to talk to me after I said no/stop then it becomes the parents issue and I do not care if they are on the cell phone or talking to thier s/o or friends in the booth .. Watch your kid or deal with my rudeness and I am rude .. I pay for my dinner just like them and have a reasonable expectation of dining in a comfortable place.
as for older kids .. sorry they need to stay seated for the meal .. that or find a sitter .. kids know the diffrence in right and wrong .. parents need to enforce that aspect of growing up ..

Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I don't blame the manager, I won't be demanding anything from him other than what I paid for: a decent meal, cooked properly, in a clean facility. It's not his responbility to babysit the mother of unruly children. I feel sorry for the manager, whose cook has just cooked and prepared a meal for someone who hasn't paid yet, and whose child is annoying the crap out of everyone there. He can't kick the customer out - the customer will be gone soon enough, and he -can- tell the customer, AFTER the customer paid, that she and her child are not welcome to return.

The manager can apologize to the other people for the disruption but really, why should he? He didn't cause it. It's not his fault.

As for the mom and her booth-banging kid, this doesn't always happen to -me- specifically - and it doesn't even always happen when I'm at the diner. But inevitably, there will be the visit from mom and her brood, and mom's on the cell phone paying no attention to her kids who are flinging french fries at each other and kicking the seat. Heck I used to kick the seat when I was a kid too. I think it's part of the rite of passage from getting out of the booster chair and onto the regular booth cushion. But you know my mom wasn't on a cell phone (we didn't have them in those days but she can't stand the things on general principal), she was paying attention to her children, and we'd get a smack on the knee the FIRST time - and we would be summarily removed by mom, the second time.

There rarely was a second time during any given visit to a restaurant.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM

638 posts, read 929,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Am I the only parent that has ever considered the many uses of duct tape? Just kidding-maybe.
How about children's benedryl? LOL Just kidding also.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Here's the kicker:

If I am in a restaurant and I see a family with extremely well-behaved children, if they are still there when I am leaving I will walk over to them and compliment them on what lovely children they have and that I think they are doing a great job as parents.

I've had people practically break down in gratitude that someone has noticed and appreciated their efforts. It takes just a second. I'll also commiserate with the parent who is outside of the restaurant or the church, or wherever, who is walking a crying child up and down the parking lot. I'll walk over to them and tell them, "They grow up. This doesn't go on forever. Hang in there."

If one is going to complain its only right to also compliment.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,082 times
with todays kids a lifted eyebrow or a smack on the knee is not enough .. and yes it is the managers job to deal with the unaffected parents when theres a complaint . their kid their problem .. if they cant control the kid then they should leave .. I dont have to eat there at that place, I am likely to get up and walk out and tell the waitress that because the manager isnt asking the parent to control that kid I am leaving BUT I am gonna make sure that everyone knows that the place isnt up to snuff for a good dining experince.
I dont go to McD's to eat because I understand that kids are kids and most parents cant control them in a place like that ( fun room, ect) but going to a place like a Dennys or Perkins entitles me to a meal w/o somebodies feral brat ruining it for me ... and no I am not talking about special needs kids or babies who do cry or get fussy .. I am talking about the booth kicking kid the running dervish or the wandering bored child .. control yer kids folks theres a limit how much others will take befor saying something ..
Waitstaff are NOT the free sitter they are trying to earn a living and your undisaplined feral brat interferes with them doing a hard enough job.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM

638 posts, read 929,966 times
Restaurants are one thing, however have any of you noticed the increased presence of young children in movie theatres? I don’t mean child movies, but the explicit R rated blood and gore rich scripts. During several recent movie experiences children as young as three have been seated in front of me. Of course for one, bringing a young child to a two plus hour movie is never a good idea. They can never sit still long enough to enjoy the movie, and will inevitably disturb most patrons around them. Secondly the subject matter of these movies should not be the front and center experience of such a young child. Dismemberment, gun play, and nudity are not childhood appropriate. What’s wrong with these parents? I for one remember my first movie experience. It wasn’t until I reached eight years of age as my mother didn’t believe that I had enough patience to go before hand.

Movie owners should cut this practice out. I for one should not spend eight to twelve dollars and get to listen to a whaling child. It’s not fair to me or the other paying patrons. Either get a baby sitter or stay home. Additionally anyone willing to subject their child to such subject matter is in a way unfit.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Restaurants are one thing, however have any of you noticed the increased presence of young children in movie theatres? I don’t mean child movies, but the explicit R rated blood and gore rich scripts. During several recent movie experiences children as young as three have been seated in front of me. Of course for one, bringing a young child to a two plus hour movie is never a good idea. They can never sit still long enough to enjoy the movie, and will inevitably disturb most patrons around them. Secondly the subject matter of these movies should not be the front and center experience of such a young child. Dismemberment, gun play, and nudity are not childhood appropriate. What’s wrong with these parents? I for one remember my first movie experience. It wasn’t until I reached eight years of age as my mother didn’t believe that I had enough patience to go before hand.

Movie owners should cut this practice out. I for one should not spend eight to twelve dollars and get to listen to a whaling child. It’s not fair to me or the other paying patrons. Either get a baby sitter or stay home. Additionally anyone willing to subject their child to such subject matter is in a way unfit.
What about disruptive adults in theaters? Often they are worse that the kids. Just one more reason I like the drive-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting