Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It might be a little more difficult but not impossible. I looked into pre-school for dd and found 2 where you had to sign up for the semester rather then the year so children could just do half of a year if that's what the family wanted. One was at a rec center and the other was at a private pre-school. The other two that I looked into would let your child enroll mid year if they had openings.

I'm not so sure I agree that they would be at a disadvantage if all the parent was looking for was an opportunity for the child to learn how to follow directions and be in a group environment prior to enrollment in Kindergarten. 4-5 months is still a lot of time for a 4 year old child.

As far as the comments regarding socialization. Kids may need to attend pre-school so that they can learn how to function in a structured school setting prior to attending 5 day a week Kindergarten but there are plenty of ways for children to socialize outside of school. Children don't need pre-school to learn about socialization.
If the OP could find a school like that, it would be an option. But I wouldn't wait until mid year to decide to do preschool. It would almost certainly be more difficult if not impossible to find a spot. The ones I'm familiar with run on a traditional school calendar. So, it would be like starting a kid mid-year in any other school grade, and a disadvantage IMO. I see no reason not to do the whole 9 month school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If the OP could find a school like that, it would be an option. But I wouldn't wait until mid year to decide to do preschool. It would almost certainly be more difficult if not impossible to find a spot. The ones I'm familiar with run on a traditional school calendar. So, it would be like starting a kid mid-year in any other school grade, and a disadvantage IMO. I see no reason not to do the whole 9 month school year.
I agree that waiting until mid year to see if they have an opening is a really bad idea. You have to plan far ahead in order to sign up for preschool. I started looking into it last December because I thought we would be signing dd up for preschool this coming fall. That's when the preschools were just starting to open up their lists. I probably should have started looking even sooner. In the end we decided to homeschool so she won't need preschool but I'm glad that I got the chance to explore our options. The preschools were very different from one another. A couple of our options seemed amazing and some seemed just OK. I think it pays to look early so that if you need to get on a waiting list for the school of your choice, you'll have plenty of time to do so.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I agree that waiting until mid year to see if they have an opening is a really bad idea. You have to plan far ahead in order to sign up for preschool. I started looking into it last December because I thought we would be signing dd up for preschool this coming fall. That's when the preschools were just starting to open up their lists. I probably should have started looking even sooner. In the end we decided to homeschool so she won't need preschool but I'm glad that I got the chance to explore our options. The preschools were very different from one another. A couple of our options seemed amazing and some seemed just OK. I think it pays to look early so that if you need to get on a waiting list for the school of your choice, you'll have plenty of time to do so.
yes! Ours start registration in December and January!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 PM

556 posts, read 798,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yep, your entire post is what I have been thinking she needs, that I personally won't be able to offer. Do you think it really makes that much difference to get her in before 4? Isn't a year an eternity (and therefore enough time to prepare) for a 4 year old?

My opinion of before 3 was more concerning her receptiveness. My son started preK a few days after he turned 3 and it was so exciting for him and he was so open to everything going on. Where as when he was 4 he seemed to be more apt to do things his way, or kind of question authority a bit. It wasn't a problem or anything bad, just different than the awe he had when he was 3, if that makes any sense.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
My opinion of before 3 was more concerning her receptiveness. My son started preK a few days after he turned 3 and it was so exciting for him and he was so open to everything going on. Where as when he was 4 he seemed to be more apt to do things his way, or kind of question authority a bit. It wasn't a problem or anything bad, just different than the awe he had when he was 3, if that makes any sense.
Oh that's cute, he's jaded at 4! I'm glad you posted that, it would never have occurred to me but I get what you mean.

Dorthy and rkb0305, thanks for your posts as well, I also did not consider getting into a preschool would be a problem. Waiting lists, my goodness. I thought those were only for NYC kids who were already being groomed for Harvard and are being driven around in Bentleys by dudes named Jeeves. Guess it would be a good idea to start looking now, regardless of what I decide to do. Feeling a bit like an amateur at this at the moment.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 AM

556 posts, read 798,508 times
Quote:
Oh that's cute, he's jaded at 4! I'm glad you posted that, it would never have occurred to me but I get what you mean.

Dorthy and rkb0305, thanks for your posts as well, I also did not consider getting into a preschool would be a problem. Waiting lists, my goodness. I thought those were only for NYC kids who were already being groomed for Harvard and are being driven around in Bentleys by dudes named Jeeves. Guess it would be a good idea to start looking now, regardless of what I decide to do. Feeling a bit like an amateur at this at the moment.

I never thought of waiting lists either! Luckily we lived on a military base and had a FANTASTIC school that had no problem with wait lists or crowding.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:00 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
If all you did all day was sit around watching soap operas, then yes, I'd recommend preschool (an all-day program, preferably!).

Since you are educating your daughter in the "real world," however, then a preschool environment is not necessary.

We homeschool, so we never considered preschool for our kids. With that said, we did a lot of "mom and me" type activities at that age, story hour at the library, Children's Church on Sundays, invited friends over and went to friends' houses, etc. It's important for kids to learn how to interact with other children, and IMO, doing so under the supervision of Mom is preferable. Good job, mom!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
If all you did all day was sit around watching soap operas, then yes, I'd recommend preschool (an all-day program, preferably!).

Since you are educating your daughter in the "real world," however, then a preschool environment is not necessary.

We homeschool, so we never considered preschool for our kids. With that said, we did a lot of "mom and me" type activities at that age, story hour at the library, Children's Church on Sundays, invited friends over and went to friends' houses, etc. It's important for kids to learn how to interact with other children, and IMO, doing so under the supervision of Mom is preferable. Good job, mom!
Confused on the stereotyping as I guess it would be ok to assume you are terrified of your kids being in the real world and have an authority complex hence why you homeschool?

One day, the kids are going to be out of sight of Mommy & keeping the ball & chain on them until they are 18 isn't going to help them in anyway.

Stating that those who send their children to traditional preschool sit around all day to watch tv is ignorant at best...again, confusing yet maybe not surprising coming from a homeschooling parent??

Really, one of the best ways to see how your child is doing is their interaction in life AWAY from parents.

Whatever method a parent chooses for "THEIR" family is hopefully best but in no way means that is the one & only right way.

As for wait lists that were mentioned, our preschool only has 24 openings & last year had over 90 apply....

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
If he didn't go to preschool because the parents are fairly uninterested in doing anything that isn't mandatory, then again, K is likely not going to be a huge success whether or not pre-K happened.

I don't think it's so much no preschool though, it's what led to the decision to not do preschool.
So it isn't as much the child as the parent? Parents can opt out of preschool for a million different reasons and none of them should be of concern to the kindergarten teacher who is there to teach the child, not the parent.
Quote:
Ugg Eresh, that's the very scenario I would like to avoid. I'm thinking of sending her next year when she's 4 - does anybody really think 2 years of preschool is necessary? She's going to go to school for the rest of her childhood life - as long as she gets an idea of school structure before she hits kindergarten that should be enough, no?

I have no qualms about her going - .
Remember, the most brilliant minds on this earth did not attend preschool. It is unnecessary. In years past preschool did not exist and kids adjusted to kindergarten. It's a process no matter what year they start.

I would not send a 3 or 4 year old to school. You're right, they have 13 years to go, and 17+ if they go to college. What's the rush to send them away at 3 and 4? It's all they have left of the carefree, uninhibiting time. Once they start kindergarten it's all rules, PC behavior and others telling your child what to do and how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Confused on the stereotyping as I guess it would be ok to assume you are terrified of your kids being in the real world and have an authority complex hence why you homeschool?

One day, the kids are going to be out of sight of Mommy & keeping the ball & chain on them until they are 18 isn't going to help them in anyway.

Stating that those who send their children to traditional preschool sit around all day to watch tv is ignorant at best...again, confusing yet maybe not surprising coming from a homeschooling parent??

Really, one of the best ways to see how your child is doing is their interaction in life AWAY from parents.
I have been homeschooling for a number of years. My daughter will be a senior this year and goes to school only for language and art classes.

Your resentment toward homeschooling sounds a little off to me. Funny how ignorant a lot of people are about homeschooling. They seem to think homeschooled kids are in the house like prisoners and see nothing of the outside world. On the contrary, they see more of real life out in the world than a lot of schooled kids do. They participate in everything, if not more than schooled kids do.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Whatever method a parent chooses for "THEIR" family is hopefully best but in no way means that is the one & only right way.

As for wait lists that were mentioned, our preschool only has 24 openings & last year had over 90 apply....

Umm, I don't think TouchOfWhimsy was entirely serious ...

Interesting about the wait list. What happened to the 66 kids that couldn't get in, I wonder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting