Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree with both of these posts. Their choices are different than mine but I'm a lot less concerned with them having another child than some crack-addicted 17 y.o. having her very first one.

"sheltered' is subjective. Compared to many people, you and I and most posters here are very very sheltered. But yet, here we are, living our lives in our own individual ways.
I am NOT sheltered. You may be but I am not.
I am far from sheltered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I am NOT sheltered. You may be but I am not.
I am far from sheltered.
Not sheltered compared to what? Have you ever been on the verge of starvation or not known whether you or your familly would survive the night? There are people in parts of the world who don't know if family members will live through the night due to violence, starvation, rampant disease. People who live in places that have no clean water and pick through garbage in order to survive. I'm sure THEY would consider you sheltered. That is what I mean when I said that "sheltered" is subjective. My guess is the Duggar children, even if their experience differs from our ideals, will do fine in their world. They may even do fine (or better) in "our" world, compared to some with a less "sheltered" life.

Keep in mind, we only see a small part of their lives. I have no doubt they experience their ups and downs just like everyone else.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-03-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Not sheltered compared to what? Have you ever been on the verge of starvation or not known whether you or your familly would survive the night? There are people in parts of the world who don't know if family members will live through the night due to violence, starvation, rampant disease. People who live in places that have no clean water and pick through garbage in order to survive. I'm sure THEY would consider you sheltered. That is what I mean when I said that "sheltered" is subjective. My guess is the Duggar children, even if their experience differs from our ideals, will do fine in their world. They may even do better in "our" world, compared to some with a less "sheltered" life.

Sheltered in the sense of what we have been exposed to.

If someone cussed me out. I wouldn't even be phased.
If this happened to a "sheltered person" some people cry and get all shocked and offended and can't cope with their emotions afterwards.

I can get in a car accident and not even be upset.
Yet I was on a car accident last ride along and there was an 18 year old guy who was like meek and fragile and COULD not for the life of him handle a small fender bender, it was as if he had just watched someone die. The BACK passenger door was dented up.

When bad things happen I don't get overwhelmed with emotions. I figure out a plan and put it into action and get things done.
Some people are so caught up in reacting like fools to things that they can't even function. It's pathetic.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM

556 posts, read 798,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
i don't relate doing mission and charity work with going to swanky hotels to give speeches....or sign books....not my idea of "jet setting".

My "" were there because I don't think either is "jet setting". They are doing their jobs and charity. I doubt the parental Duggars are cleaning out the mini bar in those swanky hotels. They are sleeping there. They'd be just as happy with a Motel6, but that's not what the Today show provides

Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Quote:

If this happened to a "sheltered person" some people cry and get all shocked and offended and can't cope with their emotions afterwards.

Yet I was on a car accident last ride along and there was an 18 year old guy who was like meek and fragile and COULD not for the life of him handle a small fender bender, it was as if he had just watched someone die. The BACK passenger door was dented up.

When bad things happen I don't get overwhelmed with emotions. I figure out a plan and put it into action and get things done.
Some people are so caught up in reacting like fools to things that they can't even function. It's pathetic.
Yes you do- remember you were just recently fretting about being homesick? You are also sheltered in some way- all people are because not everyone gets to experience everything that life has to offer. Why do you give a damn so much about how the Duggars live their lives?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Yes you do- remember you were just recently fretting about being homesick? You are also sheltered in some way- all people are because not everyone gets to experience everything that life has to offer. Why do you give a damn so much about how the Duggars live their lives?
I was homesick but I wasn't letting it control me.
I made NO decisions.
I mentioned something in a few post here.

I went about my day and life when I was feeling homesick.
It didn't stop me from doing anything.

I was unsure about what to do which is why I came up with a plan and told myself I would give myself time to think about it and revisit everything in two weeks, it hasn't even been two weeks and I don't need to think twice, I don't want to go back.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:

You have no idea why people react the way they do. It may or may not have anything to do with living YOUR concept of an overly sheltered life. While their life may "seem" sheltered to you, perhaps they are growing up with more confidence due to other things. Confident people tend to be more succesful than people who lack confidence. The Duggars seem to be raising confident children.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:

You have no idea why people react the way they do. It may or may not have anything to do with living YOUR concept of an overly sheltered life. While their life may "seem" sheltered to you, perhaps they are growing up with more confidence due to other things. Confident people tend to be more succesful than people who lack confidence. The Duggars seem to be raising confident children.
I just don't get why adults would live a childs life.
Its ridiculous.

You are an adult so you CAN do different things than children.
Yet it seems like they live childish, sheltered lives well into adulthood, none of those adults do any adult things, ever.

Just the other night I enjoyed a glass of wine with the people I nanny for, while sitting outside talking about careers.
I lead now, what I would call a very normal life.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I just don't get why adults would live a childs life.
Its ridiculous.

You are an adult so you CAN do different things than children.
Yet it seems like they live childish, sheltered lives well into adulthood, none of those adults do any adult things, ever.

Just the other night I enjoyed a glass of wine with the people I nanny for, while sitting outside talking about careers.
I lead now, what I would call a very normal life.
Let's see...they support their family in a way that fits into their belief system. Yep...pretty childish.

Just because it doesn't fit YOUR idea of a lifestyle YOU would choose, does not make it childish. Having a glass of wine, sitting outside discussing careers is not the end-all measure of adulthood. You have undoubtedly made strides in your own journey towards adulthood. No question there. Happy for you. But there is a whole variety of lifestyles out there that are just as valid as the ones you think you'd like.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
You have to thing about it.
These kids are so sheltered. LIFE IS NOT SHELTERED.
You are going to go through rough things, you are going to see stuff that shocks you, you are going to have things happen you think you can't handle, and if kids grow up the way the duggars have they are not going to be able to handle anything other than their G rated syrupy sweet lifestyle.

They aren't going to be able to handle if anything bad happens to them, they won't know how to cope and people like that are sensitive and easily scarred by stuff..
Whatever. You have no idea how anyone is going to get along in life. People from different backgrounds and life experiences somehow manage to cope with life on life's terms. Some have mainstream childhoods and don't do so well. It's the old nature/nurture argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting