Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
you have nailed it on the head, to each his own, just because one does not understand, like, or agree with another persons ways does not make said person or their ways wrong, merely different. Whatever happened to the saying "live and let live"? We seem to prefer to ridicule, put down, and be hateful when we don't agree with anothers way of life. Maybe instead of poking fun and being nasty about this family, one needs to examine one's own self and make sure all is right in our life before we attack another person's lifestyle. While I am sure the Duggar's do not agree with the gay lifestyle, you never hear them saying anything about it, while I am sure they wish everyone was a Christian, you never hear them put down Agnostics or Atheists. It is just a sad commentary on the human race when one can continually poke fun at other and feel no remorse at the hatefulness.

I have no real problem with the duggers...i have a problem with them giving their children only one perspective and not allowing them the choice of growth. When you only allow one set of views...and lifestyle the children get no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I have no real problem with the duggers...i have a problem with them giving their children only one perspective and not allowing them the choice of growth. When you only allow one set of views...and lifestyle the children get no choice.
They have choice & they have made theirs just as you have made yours.

Just b/c you do not understand their lifestyle (majority of us do not & that is why they have a tv show) does not equate putting them down.

And as a previous poster said, they are far more open to people than posters like yourself are...

It just boils down to having the strength to stand behind your beliefs rather than taking the easy road & having none & pass it off as "choice"

Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
They have choice & they have made theirs just as you have made yours.

Just b/c you do not understand their lifestyle (majority of us do not & that is why they have a tv show) does not equate putting them down.

And as a previous poster said, they are far more open to people than posters like yourself are...

It just boils down to having the strength to stand behind your beliefs rather than taking the easy road & having none & pass it off as "choice"

Yes they have, but they don't give their children the ability to make their own choices now do they?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,282,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Yes they have, but they don't give their children the ability to make their own choices now do they?
If this is the only life their children have ever known, than they don't know what a select few, such as yourself think they are missing, now do they?

While you may not think they give their children a choice, you really have no clue if that is true or not, you nor anyone else has any idea what goes on behind the scenes. I don't understand why it matters to people if these girls have choices or not, this is their life, it has been that way since they were born, this is all they have ever known. How do you know they don't look at what you or I would term normal people and think they are weird. They have not been brought up like the rest of the world, but the way they have been brought up works for them, no matter how much you or anyone else thinks it is a less than acceptable life.

All I am saying it I see alot of posters on here saying please teach your child tolerance, teach them not to hate, teach them to be accepting of others choices in life and be upstanding, giving members of society and then these same people attack this families lifestyle. It is called practicing what you preach or teach, whatever the case may be.

I read alot of posts on here that leave me shaking my head and thinking to myself, are they crazy? The difference is I understand each person and family must chose their own path in life, and therefore it is not my place to knock their lifestyle.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Hmm, what would happen if one child turns out gay? As for the older girls, they are so busy taking care of the other kids, doing house chores, cooking, I don't see that they even have time to make choices regarding another type of life.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Those older girls can't go to school, they have to take care of the younger kids in the family. If the family was serious about helping their older daughters get an education, they would be seriously looking into doing things other kids their age do, like getting a job, starting college, instead those young women are used as unpaid nannies for the rest of the brood. I bet the new season will show those young women interested in "teaching" and helping their mother homeschool the other kids. Then, getting married, and continuing to help out their mom. The whole family is enmeshed. I loved the show where they all went to the "creationism museum". That is too much. As for Momma, having more kids...go ahead...after all, your older girls can take care of your kids for you.

What do you mean they can't go to school? They all go to school, they are homeschooled. If I am not mistaken the oldest girl is just barely college age.

So they are to be mocked because they went to a creationism museum, you do know there are alot of people that believe in creationism instead of believing that we come from monkeys.

When did being a wife and mother become taboo in our society? Why so much mockery of this choice? For some people this is what they chose for their life, I am a wife and mother, that is my job, my career and I do a very good job at it. I don't have to leave my home to have a career and in living my life this way I am never put in a position to chose family over career.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Hmm, what would happen if one child turns out gay? As for the older girls, they are so busy taking care of the other kids, doing house chores, cooking, I don't see that they even have time to make choices regarding another type of life.
hmmmm I do believe this exact question has been posted before, and the conclusion was that they would love and accept that child just as they do others. Yeah, they are so busy taking care of the others and chores they are just tied to that house day in and day out, yet I seem to recall them all going places at one time or another. You make their life out to be a horrible life, but I doubt very seriously that is what they think of their life.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM

There is nothing wrong with being a wife and a mother. Just that women need to be prepared to support themselves outside of the home if things happen that are unexpected. Staying at home, taking care of kids, is not going to give a young woman alot of options if she needs to support herself and children.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with being a wife and a mother. Just that women need to be prepared to support themselves outside of the home if things happen that are unexpected. Staying at home, taking care of kids, is not going to give a young woman alot of options if she needs to support herself and children.
there is a reason for life insurance policies

Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Can't get one when a guy leaves you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting