Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,291,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My posting the picture doesn't reflect what I think about the family.
But I felt the need to expose you all to the picture that circulates the internet.

I'll give my opinion so you know.
I like the duggars and I don't.
At least in life I know if I ever have to deal with anyone from the duggar family that I will be dealing with someone kind and compassionate and that won't try to wrong me.

The part of me that doesn't like them is the jean wearing, textaholic, clothes obsessed, crime fighting part of me.

I have been around religious families, who only listened to what I call "jesus music" in the car and at home and nothing else, who had their kids do the who polos and pants look.

I don't agree with women not being able to wear pants. That's so weird.
I don't agree with homeschooling, how in the world can you get a good enough education sitting at a kitchen table.
I don't agree with those weird swim suits. The point of swimming is to be wearing less, to cool down and swim, plus have you ever saw in clothes before? I felt like the t-shirt I had on was going to eat me and pull me down to the bottom of the pool and then devour my soul....and maybe thats a smidge over kill but you get the point..

Mostly I couldn't fathom living that life.
I LOVE jeans.
I love getting my hair cut.
I love two piece swim suits.
I love my blackberry.
I love my college education.
I love being a little wild child.

Why you would live so sheltered and closed up and limit yourself like that is beyond me.
Always covering up, censoring, abstaining from a lot, doesn't seem like a fun life.

Thank you for replying in a very civilized manner, that being said, their life is not for me, but if I am trying to teach my children tolerance, then it would be two faced of me to not reply to some of the nastiness I see not only on this board but in other places also. If I try to teach my kids to accept others, yet they see me not accepting someone based on my perceptions then my teaching has failed and I run the risk of having raised intolerant kids, that have total disregard for others feelings. It just bothers me to see the attitudes people express towards this family, just because they aren't the norm. You don't have to like them or agree with their parenting and if you don't just keep it simple, no need to be hateful. BTW this is not directed at you, just merely in general.

Obviously their life works for them and I am pretty sure they really don't care what others think of them, they live their life according to their beliefs, they embrace them whole-heartedly and I am sure the person the seek to please the most is God.

Do I agree with them having a 20th child, no I don't, for me if this had happened I would probably take it as a sign from God that my baby bearing days were over. But I am not going to go on a public forum and poke fun at them, that is just not me, maybe that is why my kids are so accepting of others regardless of race, religion, sexual preference or social status, I try very hard to practice what I teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My posting the picture doesn't reflect what I think about the family.
But I felt the need to expose you all to the picture that circulates the internet.

I'll give my opinion so you know.
I like the duggars and I don't.
At least in life I know if I ever have to deal with anyone from the duggar family that I will be dealing with someone kind and compassionate and that won't try to wrong me.

The part of me that doesn't like them is the jean wearing, textaholic, clothes obsessed, crime fighting part of me.

I have been around religious families, who only listened to what I call "jesus music" in the car and at home and nothing else, who had their kids do the who polos and pants look.

I don't agree with women not being able to wear pants. That's so weird.
I don't agree with homeschooling, how in the world can you get a good enough education sitting at a kitchen table.
I don't agree with those weird swim suits. The point of swimming is to be wearing less, to cool down and swim, plus have you ever saw in clothes before? I felt like the t-shirt I had on was going to eat me and pull me down to the bottom of the pool and then devour my soul....and maybe thats a smidge over kill but you get the point..

Mostly I couldn't fathom living that life.
I LOVE jeans.
I love getting my hair cut.
I love two piece swim suits.
I love my blackberry.
I love my college education.
I love being a little wild child.

Why you would live so sheltered and closed up and limit yourself like that is beyond me.
Always covering up, censoring, abstaining from a lot, doesn't seem like a fun life.

Homeschooling is a very big movement and with the degradation of our schools over the years it has become an acceptable option for some families. If it is done correctly home-schooled children are just as well educated as their peers who have been traditonally schooled. I have a friend who home schooled their 5 kids, all graduated from high school very early, all have college degrees with very good jobs, and in todays world I would call that a success. Notice I mention done correctly, there are alot of families out there who do not home school correctly and in that case their children are usually behind their schooled peers. My SIL homeschools her two children and it is horrible to see, they are so far behind but she will not hear of putting them back in public school.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,420,258 times
Those older girls can't go to school, they have to take care of the younger kids in the family. If the family was serious about helping their older daughters get an education, they would be seriously looking into doing things other kids their age do, like getting a job, starting college, instead those young women are used as unpaid nannies for the rest of the brood. I bet the new season will show those young women interested in "teaching" and helping their mother homeschool the other kids. Then, getting married, and continuing to help out their mom. The whole family is enmeshed. I loved the show where they all went to the "creationism museum". That is too much. As for Momma, having more kids...go ahead...after all, your older girls can take care of your kids for you.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,872,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
loved the show where they all went to the "creationism museum". That is too much. As for Momma, having more kids...go ahead...after all, your older girls can take care of your kids for you.

I loved that one too.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM

422 posts, read 650,591 times
Nothing sucks worse than a family pitching in and helping out so that the entire family is strong. What families need is more selfishness. How is the creationism museum different than a elementary school teacher taking her class to a gay wedding or a middle school teacher taking the class to a mosque during service and having the children participate in worship? Its all people pushing their beliefs off on children. The difference is that these people happen to be feeding, clothing, and loving these children. People are really quick to defend a person's right to believe in nothing. Believing in something gets you bashed. SAD.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Nothing sucks worse than a family pitching in and helping out so that the entire family is strong. What families need is more selfishness. How is the creationism museum different than a elementary school teacher taking her class to a gay wedding or a middle school teacher taking the class to a mosque during service and having the children participate in worship? Its all people pushing their beliefs off on children. The difference is that these people happen to be feeding, clothing, and loving these children. People are really quick to defend a person's right to believe in nothing. Believing in something gets you bashed. SAD.

Which is wonderful when the the burden is not unfairly places on a small percentage of the family. And your older kids should not be raising your offspring while you are jetsetting around the world doing interviews,speeches,and book signings. As fro creationism....to each his own i imagine.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM

556 posts, read 799,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Which is wonderful when the the burden is not unfairly places on a small percentage of the family. And your older kids should not be raising your offspring while you are jetsetting around the world doing interviews,speeches,and book signings. As fro creationism....to each his own i imagine.

I wouldn't call it "jetsetting" and up until Josie was born most of the time the entire family went.

You must have missed the episodes when the older kids "jet setted" to foreign countries to do mission and charity work.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,524,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
People are really quick to defend a person's right to believe in nothing. Believing in something gets you bashed. SAD.
Very true.
I find those types to be far more closed minded, also, as they insist that your beliefs are completely wrong/nonexistent, etc.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I wouldn't call it "jetsetting" and up until Josie was born most of the time the entire family went.

You must have missed the episodes when the older kids "jet setted" to foreign countries to do mission and charity work.
i don't relate doing mission and charity work with going to swanky hotels to give speeches....or sign books....not my idea of "jet setting".

Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post

you have nailed it on the head, to each his own, just because one does not understand, like, or agree with another persons ways does not make said person or their ways wrong, merely different. Whatever happened to the saying "live and let live"? We seem to prefer to ridicule, put down, and be hateful when we don't agree with anothers way of life. Maybe instead of poking fun and being nasty about this family, one needs to examine one's own self and make sure all is right in our life before we attack another person's lifestyle. While I am sure the Duggar's do not agree with the gay lifestyle, you never hear them saying anything about it, while I am sure they wish everyone was a Christian, you never hear them put down Agnostics or Atheists. It is just a sad commentary on the human race when one can continually poke fun at other and feel no remorse at the hatefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting