Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Well, if you have 19 what's the difference?
I guess all JimBob's think alike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I guess all JimBob's think alike!
Hey now, I'm not that crazy...

Seriously though, how could 20 be all that different from 19?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Well, it's not my place to judge the Duggars and, yes, children are a blessing, but there is one thing I just don't understand:

How do they afford it? Seriously, what kind of job does a guy have to have to support a family that size? My wife and I have four kids and it sometimes gets real tight for us financially. 20 kids!!??!! How, I just don't get it........

I figured I would answer your question since I am actually able to answer it correctly. Jim Bob is my husband's cousin. Jim Bob and Michelle obviously make money from TLC but they also own multiple commercial and residential rental properties. Along with those earnings they have invested and saved money wisely. The Duggar's were doing very well financially prior to the TLC show...given doing the show has only enhanced that.

I also personally do not see what the big too do is about Jim Bob and Michelle having 19 kids....I come from a large family and not to mention my grandmother was one of 21 children. To me its not really that big of a deal.

On a side note we recently had a family reunion which will air on October 19th. I was able to see Josie...she looks really good.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
If they're going to be in the public eye, having a national television show focused on their lives mostly because they have so many children, people are going to have an opinion about it.

People have a right to question it, but they don't have a right to assert their views on them. People still have the right to chose the number of children they have, whether it is 0 or 20 that is still a right. The Duggar's do not live off the government, all of the kids a very well cared for, respectful, hardworking and most of all happy. That should be the only things that matter.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I figured I would answer your question since I am actually able to answer it correctly. Jim Bob is my husband's cousin. Jim Bob and Michelle obviously make money from TLC but they also own multiple commercial and residential rental properties. Along with those earnings they have invested and saved money wisely. The Duggar's were doing very well financially prior to the TLC show...given doing the show has only enhanced that.

I also personally do not see what the big too do is about Jim Bob and Michelle having 19 kids....I come from a large family and not to mention my grandmother was one of 21 children. To me its not really that big of a deal.

On a side note we recently had a family reunion which will air on October 19th. I was able to see Josie...she looks really good.
My husband's grand mother was one of 13. It used to be common. Not so much these days.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My husband's grand mother was one of 13. It used to be common. Not so much these days.
A lot of people think because its not common means its not right. To me just because its not right for one person is no reason to say that it can't be right for someone else. Jim Bob is my husbands cousin...they want to have 19 kids...it's right for them...I however would probably be happy with just one of two (I have zero now).

Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
People have a right to question it, but they don't have a right to assert their views on them. People still have the right to chose the number of children they have, whether it is 0 or 20 that is still a right. The Duggar's do not live off the government, all of the kids a very well cared for, respectful, hardworking and most of all happy.

That should be the only things that matter.
It should be and yet, it's not anymore.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:

This is what I was responding to. I wasn't commenting on the right or wrong of it. Only that it doesn't really matter that your grandma was one of 21 or mine was one of 13. It used to be common. Now it is not. That's what the "big to do " is about. I don't know of anyone who has 20 kids these days. If living like the Duggars was common, they wouldn't have their own show.

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of people think because its not common means its not right. To me just because its not right for one person is no reason to say that it can't be right for someone else. Jim Bob is my husbands cousin...they want to have 19 kids...it's right for them...I however would probably be happy with just one of two (I have zero now).

Old 08-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
This is what I was responding to. I wasn't commenting on the right or wrong of it. Only that it doesn't really matter that your grandma was one of 21 or mine was one of 13. It used to be common. Now it is not. That's what the "big to do " is about. I don't know of anyone who has 20 kids these days. If living like the Duggars was common, they wouldn't have their own show.

I wasn't trying to say that you said it was right or wrong. Sorry if it came accross that way. I was commenting that to many the fact many people view anything that is not the norm as wrong and that is what I do not agree with.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
Sherrenee, will we be seeing you on TV with the Duggars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting