Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Of course they would have a 20th baby. With each new one they gain more and more attention. With more and more attention comes more and more money from the TV station.

If they stopped having babies, people would very quickly lose interest in them. Can't have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I really don't think they do it for the attention. They had a bunch of kids before they became famous. I do think they'll keep going and if they have a baby that dies or has complications again, or if Michelle dies in childbirth, they'll chalk it up to God's will. Doesn't matter what happens to them, it will be God's will. People talk about personal responsibility, in that this family is financially independent, but what about taking responsibility for Mom's health? How about keeping mom alive and well to take care of the 19 they already have?

Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Actually the risk of uterine rupture is exaggerated because it more convenient for the doctors to schedule a c-section. If you want to read more on the subject International Cesarean Awareness Network.

Really? That just makes me mad. My OB said you could try a vbac if you only had 1 c-section. I'm in Canada though. Maybe its different in the US?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,799,980 times
She's a machine.

Someone needs a hobby.

Enough is enough!! GEESH!!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know. Some docs will allow VBACs, some won't. Mine wouldn't do one, even after 1 previous c-section.
If a woman is so passionate about a VBAC, she needs to find an OB that will perform one & make sure insurance covers it. What Michell Duggar did & others who are very much want a VBAC if possible.

There is no "magical" numbers to allow/disallow a VBAC. Much depends on the doctor, the practice they are with (for example they could be w/ a hospital system that has a SOP for VBACs...thus, the OB cannot just change the rules & so on), and the health/past history of the mom.

Just had 2 friends, one having #3 & one having #4, who both had VBACs and this was their first vaginal delivery.

As for the comment about OBs scheduling a c-sec for "convienence"..being 6 wks out of having a c-sec myself for #3, I highly doubt doctors schedule it for that reason. It is surgery, has a far greater risk factor than vaginal births, longer hospital stay, and longer recovery time. More times, it is the mom who wants to c-sec due to THEIR schedule.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If a woman is so passionate about a VBAC, she needs to find an OB that will perform one & make sure insurance covers it. What Michell Duggar did & others who are very much want a VBAC if possible.

There is no "magical" numbers to allow/disallow a VBAC. Much depends on the doctor, the practice they are with (for example they could be w/ a hospital system that has a SOP for VBACs...thus, the OB cannot just change the rules & so on), and the health/past history of the mom.

Just had 2 friends, one having #3 & one having #4, who both had VBACs and this was their first vaginal delivery.

As for the comment about OBs scheduling a c-sec for "convienence"..being 6 wks out of having a c-sec myself for #3, I highly doubt doctors schedule it for that reason. It is surgery, has a far greater risk factor than vaginal births, longer hospital stay, and longer recovery time. More times, it is the mom who wants to c-sec due to THEIR schedule.
fine, but I wasn't "passionate" about it.

My doc stated that his medical group decided, as a group, not to do VBAC's because of the risk (liability).

I think this is the reason for scheduling c-section, not the convenience of the doctor OR the mom. I've never heard of a mom choosing it for this reason, nor have I ever heard of a doc agreeing to do a c-section for this reason.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
fine, but I wasn't "passionate" about it.

My doc stated that his medical group decided, as a group, not to do VBAC's because of the risk (liability).

I think this is the reason for scheduling c-section, not the convenience of the doctor OR the mom. I've never heard of a mom choosing it for this reason, nor have I ever heard of a doc agreeing to do a c-section for this reason.
Wasn't saying "you" were passionate about it, but some are.

In today's world of liability, it is hard to find an OB who can just make their own rules. They cannot afford it.

I do think inductions are requested; not so much c-sec; can't see why a mom or doc would "want" a c-sec. I was induced w/#2 due to low fluid & have to say it was nice to have childcare taken of; husband got time off of work, and so on. I was suppose to be induced w/ #3 & there was a 4 day wait list when talking to the OB on setting a date. Thus, I would think "most" OBs & "most" moms prefer the natural way.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
There is a time and place for everything, including judgmentalism.
High time for the American people to become judgmental.

Watching them talk, I had to censor my brain, mouth and fingers on the keyboard so badly that now I ache all over.

Oh, the lines that would have come out had I not learned how to become a master at censoring myself in this culture.
I grew up under communism when we were all instructed to never say anything against the government - or else.

Those exercises were nothing compared to the self-censorship I am practicing today in this country.

All the things that need to be said and can never be said - and how seriously it will cost everybody one fine day.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I guess my point was that they at least take care of the kids they have, which is more than can be said about many parents.
What does this have to do with anything? Being able to take care of X number of children in appropriate ways ("appropriate" being a highly subjective concept) has nothing to do with the insanity of insisting to reproduce yourself without limits just because you can - at a time in history when continued population growth is anything but desirable.

This is regardless of the parenting skills of others, as compared to yours.

Suffocating all other billions of souls on Earth (your own children included) with your prolific uterus - is a really bad idea, even if you think you can "'afford" your offspring.

In reality, you can't. No one can. Not even the insanely rich (assuming they still own a drop of ethics).

Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Well, if you have 19 what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting