Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

Advertisements

So Hopes told me to start a new thread...commence the chair throwing at her.

A) Let's start off with I don't have a set schedule besides Monday and Wednesday from 830-130. That means I need 4 more hours for the week in order to meet my "quota" of hours for the month. Usually I work over the 14 a week I need to get, which leads me to point B.

B) They keep asking or telling me last minute LITERALLY that I will need to work. Like the other day she told me they had a therapy session the next day, then the next day she told me what time 4 hours before the session and told me I would be working right up until 315, when I had class at 330 that day. Or the other night I stayed the night at a friends house and was suppose to have the morning off and I got a text a 8am of all the chores I needed to get done that morning. Like I was suppose to just drop everything on a day I was not scheduled.

C) The car insurance on the mini van, nuff said.

D) They think I should ALWAYS be asking what else I can do, even if I am not working. There is little to no distinction between on the clock and off the clock.

I don't ask for much.
1. I want a set schedule.
2. I want to work my scheduled hours and be OFF when I am not scheduled.
3. They need to ask 14 days in advance if they need me to request off work for a night or two, that's how many days in advance I need to request off work. If they want me to work during my off time, they need to ASK a day in advance and if I have something I am doing I won't be able to and I understand about emergency situations but those shouldn't be happening very often. I shouldn't just be expected to drop everything and rush home to do something. It is a job, it doesn't work that way at BBB and it shouldn't be working that way at this job either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,732 times
It does sound as if you're being taken advantage of, but I think the lines are getting blurred because you're living with them and getting paid off book (under the table, whatever). They may see themselves as doing you a favor? This is a guess. I don't know them. These are the reasons that you should always make sure that you're working legally. When you don't, you leave yourself open to exploitation.

You should talk openly and in a calm manner about what you expect from them and what they expect from you. Start looking for another living situation pronto. This one sounds like it's going south.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:32 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,184 times
TXT, this situation lasted much longer than I had orginally expected. I congratulate you on sticking it out this long but I'm concerned that it seems like everything went south from one day to the next.

I think you can file this under "NOTHING in life is free" when you've posted on here some of the terms and benefits of your employment with this family a lot of us gave you "seems to good to be true" reponses and now you are learning that in fact the terms are too good to be true. It didn't start right away but slowly these people have begun to take advantage of you and I promise you that it is only going to get worse. I do think you should talk to your employers about correcting some of these issues before you quit but don't get your hopes up for a total remedy of the situation. They may completely balk at you and remind you how much they have done for you or they may "yeah, yeah, yeah" you to death and not actually change. I'm guessing they'll probably do a combo of both while they begin to search for the next young girl whose so eager to get out into the "real world" that she doesn't stop to actually consider what she's getting herself into and then when they find her they kick you to the curb.

Any chance you would consider going back to your mom's house?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
It does sound as if you're being taken advantage of, but I think the lines are getting blurred because you're living with them and getting paid off book (under the table, whatever). They may see themselves as doing you a favor? This is a guess. I don't know them. These are the reasons that you should always make sure that you're working legally. When you don't, you leave yourself open to exploitation.

You should talk openly and in a calm manner about what you expect from them and what they expect from you. Start looking for another living situation pronto. This one sounds like it's going south.
I don't think the lines should be blurred. I think I should work my hours.do what is expected of my and that be that. No oh what more can I do for you in my off time while I am starving, need to go grocery shopping and you're child is throwing yogurt on the walls.
I am looking for another living situation, I have some options, not many and my most solid one can't happen till January.

I tried that this morning and it did not work out well. The husband did nothing but yell, cuss and slam his fist in the table at me while telling me my BBB job was not hard and that I shouldn't be trying to say that working till 12am and waking up at 7am is hard and that I need to switch my shifts(which I can't do) and that they don't care about my job and that they think its totally ok to spring things on me without caring if I have other plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
TXT, this situation lasted much longer than I had orginally expected. I congratulate you on sticking it out this long but I'm concerned that it seems like everything went south from one day to the next.

I think you can file this under "NOTHING in life is free" when you've posted on here some of the terms and benefits of your employment with this family a lot of us gave you "seems to good to be true" reponses and now you are learning that in fact the terms are too good to be true. It didn't start right away but slowly these people have begun to take advantage of you and I promise you that it is only going to get worse. I do think you should talk to your employers about correcting some of these issues before you quit but don't get your hopes up for a total remedy of the situation. They may completely balk at you and remind you how much they have done for you or they may "yeah, yeah, yeah" you to death and not actually change. I'm guessing they'll probably do a combo of both while they begin to search for the next young girl whose so eager to get out into the "real world" that she doesn't stop to actually consider what she's getting herself into and then when they find her they kick you to the curb.

Any chance you would consider going back to your mom's house?
I have considered it but she's been a total witch about it all.
Telling me I HAVE to hire movers to move the piano out of my old room and that they go to bed between 10-11 on school nights and that's when I would need to be home if I was coming home that night, which like I don't even get off work till like 10:30 or 11.

Hopefully I can find an apartment and a roommate.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
Nah
txtqueen needs to relax and give a little.
You are going to die of stress and paranoiah before your 21.

You know when you are young, you have to be flexible. You have to be "taken advantage of" because when you are older (like me), you look back and realise that the times I felt taken advantage of were the times when I was being the most selfish.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Nah
txtqueen needs to relax and give a little.
You are going to die of stress and paranoiah before your 21.

You know when you are young, you have to be flexible. You have to be "taken advantage of" because when you are older (like me), you look back and realise that the times I felt taken advantage of were the times when I was being the most selfish.
GIVE A LITTLE?!?!?!
I work 32 hours + A WEEK. I stand on my feet for 8 hours a day, catering to customers whims and bending over backwards to accommodate them. I work till midnight now and then they want me to start work at 8, so I need to get up at 7am and don't forget I get off work at 12, there's drive time home, maybe get food because we all I know I barely eat now, I simply do not have time. When I get home I am practically ripping my clothes off and putting whatever sweats and t-shirt I can find and pouring my self inbetween my sheets just to have a dream about getting to visit my grandmother and being in the beach just for a tidal wave to come out of no where while I run in panic towards the hotel.

The other night I slept away from home just to be woken up by PING PING PING PING (blackberry sonar ping) of my cell phone going off and a list of chores they wanted me to do on my non scheduled day as well as being told that they want me to work every morning till Christmas WHILE I am working every night until midnight till christmas...

I told them it was too short of notice and that I was doing something else at that time.

And how am I paranoid? I get the stressed part and dude I've reached 21 already.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
This is precisely why people (remember Coldjensens who you and a few others were mocking?) draw up contracts. So that everyone understands what is expected and what is given. Any disputes - go back to the contract. These loosey-goosey arrangements very seldom work out. Someone always believes they are being taken advantage of. Your problem is, now you're in debt and you are unwilling to compromise and live with temporary inconveniences, in order to move forward. Your stubbornness and attitude of "but I deserve better" will be your ruin. We have all had to put up with unpleasant situations from time to time to get us to a better place. Heck, I deserve a trip to Paris but, I don't see that happening anytime soon (or even Disneyland LOL!). You need to either suck it up and sit down with your employers and pound out a contract or suck it up and move back in with your mom and her crazy rules until you can afford something better. Either way, you're going to have to suck it up somewhere.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,655 times
I don't read every post here, and I don't want to have to go back and read all of your previous posts - would you mind summarizing what you're talking about? I have no idea what your situation is.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This is precisely why people (remember Coldjensens who you and a few others were mocking?) draw up contracts. So that everyone understands what is expected and what is given. Any disputes - go back to the contract. These loosey-goosey arrangements very seldom work out. Someone always believes they are being taken advantage of. Your problem is, now you're in debt and you are unwilling to compromise and live with temporary inconveniences, in order to move forward. Your stubbornness and attitude of "but I deserve better" will be your ruin. We have all had to put up with unpleasant situations from time to time to get us to a better place. Heck, I deserve a trip to Paris but, I don't see that happening anytime soon (or even Disneyland LOL!). You need to either suck it up and sit down with your employers and pound out a contract or suck it up and move back in with your mom and her crazy rules until you can afford something better. Either way, you're going to have to suck it up somewhere.

There is a difference between a trip to paris and having the time to clean MY OWN ROOM, go clean MY car out, go get MY groceries, cuddle in bed with MY guy who makes me scrambled eggs and toast, you know, everyday shizzit...not extravagant trips to paris.

Good thing about my debt is I am in debt to my grandmother, not the gov't. My grandmother is chill if I have to defer payment once or twice.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And this isn't temporary. This is how it is going to be working with them while I am here, so no it is not temporary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting