Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
They don't have to allow you to tape unless you have a documented disability with that accommodation.
While I have no doubt what you say is true, I still think it's one of the silliest things I ever heard.

Quote:
However, most professors will let you tape,but you should ask just to make sure.
He seems like a decent guy. I doubt he'll say no. I'll definitely ask next week.

I know the majority of the class will want to record the lectures. We were all brainstorming ideas on break, but none of us thought of recording it.

Quote:
Does he use a power point presentation and is he willing to share it? I post my power points to an online course group so that my students can print them out and take notes alongside the slides.
Strangely, he will be posting the powerpoint presentations the day after the class.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,732 times
Yes, Hopes, I agree that it's silly. My only guess is that lectures are considered intellectual property. Fortunately, I've only met a couple of profs who refuse to let students tape, and it's generally agreed upon in the academic community that they're jerks.

I post my powerpoints before the lectures so that students can pre-print them and follow along. I try to have them up a week ahead of time because a few of my students (and usually it's the over 30 crowd) like to work ahead. He might be willing to give the powerpoints to you ahead of time. Most of us try to work with students who show a real interest in the course material.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Okay, I will but why would a professor not allow it? Seems strange.
Most will allow it. It shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
You have to have the permission of the party you are taping if the tap includes voice. That's why. It's a legal thing.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You want to be a cop? Prove it. Call today. No. Drive down today and pick up the application.

You're underpaid? Welcome to the world. You need to understand that most people work very hard THEIR WHOLE LIVES and do not get paid what they probably deserve. That is Life 101. You might as well learn that right now.

You are not the first person on the planet to work seven days a week. You want to not work two jobs? Give up the phone and all the crap you buy and reduce your expenses. Work things out with your mother and cope.
I refuse to give up the phone that's not necessary.
I just need to make a couple more hundred a month and I would be fine.

And if I give up the phone I can't talk with my friends, I can't communicate with people while I am out, I can't get a hold of anyone if I needed to. That's crazy talk to give up my phone....lol...pause for irony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, goodness! You're whining! There are many adults who don't make $10/hour. They're supporting families too. You are just starting out. It's such a shame you don't consider yourself lucky. You really should because you're not only lucky to have a job but you're lucky to be making $10/hour with benefits for your full time job at such a young age and having little work experience.

If you do quit, GIVE NOTICE! I won't even talk to you again if you quit without giving notice. You don't want me to do that!
I'm not making $10/hr. I make 7.50 at the gas station job and 8 at BBB, but I get health insurance from the gas station job and I have A LOT of room for advancement and promotions and will make more at the gas station job once I hit assistant manager.

If I was making $10, I would not be here whining....I'd be moving into my own apartment right about now, taking a bubble bath or something.

I said IF I made $10/hr the jobs would be worth it.
Right now they aren't worth it.

Its PHYSICALLY taking a toll on me. I am so sleep deprived and its making me sick, I have had a headache everyday, my nauseous and light headed all the time, I keep almost blacking out.

This is no way to live.

And Hopes, I would never do that to BBB, I want to go back one day if I ever need to and I really don't want to even leave, it makes me really sad that I won't get to see those people on a daily basis anymore if I did give notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Application /=Acceptance

What world are you living in where you think you will be working LESS hours as a cop but making more money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Wait. You make $10 an hour and thats bad? Thats more than I made at any retail job EVER. When I started at Abercrombie I made $5.50 and hour. Sometimes, if I didn't get a lot of hours that week I would get paychecks that where about $17 after taxes.

My mom got a little job at William Sanoma and made $7.25 and this was just two years ago. She was 50! She never ever complained. Instead she enjoyed getting a discount on nice kitchen stuff.

I did make $30 as a beer spokes girl. But if you can't handle the stress of retail it's not for you at all. You can't punch someone in the face if they touch you, all you can do is tell security and hope they kick him out.
No,I make 8 at bbb and 7.50 at my other job and at 15 and 40 hours respectively after taxes it is not much.

And its not the stress of retail its the stress of not having time to allow my body to recuperate from the day, like tonight I closed alone at the gas station job and then got home at about 11:40 and its now 12:15 and I am winding down to be awake at 7:45am, my body does not function very well on that little sleep, I can't make it function, I was going on energy drinks and started peeing neon yellow from all the B vitamins in it....ANNNND my kidneys have been hurting, I have been peeing EVERY hour and I just want to work 3-11ish We-Su and that be it, maybe We-Mo and have tuesday off, I'd even be fine with that...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm not making $10/hr. I make 7.50 at the gas station job and 8 at BBB, but I get health insurance from the gas station job and I have A LOT of room for advancement and promotions and will make more at the gas station job once I hit assistant manager.

If I was making $10, I would not be here whining....I'd be moving into my own apartment right about now, taking a bubble bath or something.
I could have sworn you posted that it paid $10/hr. I also assumed you got a job at a trendy clothing store, not a gas station. Oh well, guess I was wrong.

Quote:
I said IF I made $10/hr the jobs would be worth it.
Right now they aren't worth it.
The full time job is worth it becaue it's worth it because it's a job. It's not just a job, it's a full time job with benefits. You have to start somewhere. It doesn't happen overnight. You need to STAY at a job for a couple of years to prove you are worthy of higher pay to other potential employers.

Quote:
And Hopes, I would never do that to BBB, I want to go back one day if I ever need to and I really don't want to even leave, it makes me really sad that I won't get to see those people on a daily basis anymore if I did give notice.
I'm glad you won't quit without notice.

Quote:
And its not the stress of retail its the stress of not having time to allow my body to recuperate from the day, like tonight I closed alone at the gas station job and then got home at about 11:40 and its now 12:15 and I am winding down to be awake at 7:45am, my body does not function very well on that little sleep, I can't make it function, I was going on energy drinks and started peeing neon yellow from all the B vitamins in it....ANNNND my kidneys have been hurting, I have been peeing EVERY hour and I just want to work 3-11ish We-Su and that be it, maybe We-Mo and have tuesday off, I'd even be fine with that...
Your stress is related to working two jobs. You have to quit BBB because it's only 15 hours per week and doesn't provide benefits.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
opps sorry- Should read rest of posts before answering. See recorder was suggested for Hopes

Txt- I am done with you. You have been given great advice yet you choose to ignore it time and time again. If your main priority is your damn cell phone (which it obviously is), you are screwed from the get go. You have a lot of growing up to do before you can even begin to reach your goals. If you aren't willing to work hard to reach them, you will be stuck in the same position you see yourself in right at this moment. And since I highly doubt you will make the necessary changes you NEED to make to get to where you want to be in life, there is no point in ANY of us given you any more advice or to even tolerate your constant complaining about how hard you work and how much (or how less in your eyes) money you make. You are a very spoiled, ungrateful child and I will you leave you will that

To the others: Wow! I have another snow day. Any one have any healthy recipes they would be willing to share? Looking for something to whip up for lunch or dinner.
And Hopes, how is the husband doing today?
Lucygirl, what do you teach, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by NEOhioBound; 01-27-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Wow! I have another snow day. Any one have any healthy recipes they would be willing to share? Looking for something to whip up for lunch or dinner.
We could use a snow day! It's sooooo dry here. Supposed to be 58 today then 60 tomorrow. Hard to complain though but I'll have to probably water the trees tomorrow since it's so dry.

I use allrecipes.com a lot. There is a really good vegetarian enchilada recipe on there. My husband and son didn't realize there wasn't meat in it until I pointed it out. I try to have one meatless meal a week, although it doesn't always work out that way. If that recipe sounds good I'll send you the link.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
txt - quit with the energy drinks and the Pepsi. They are horrible for you. Start eating a healthy diet and see a doctor.

Having my coffee. NEOhio -what kind of recipes are you looking for? Have you checked the Food forum - there is a whole section on recipes over there. Also, I posted a link to a recipe back a couple weeks ago when there was a thread over hear about healthy food choices for families. What about soup? One of my faves for a cold snowy day would be homemade potato leek soup (OK so maybe not so healthy but YUM). I love homemade tomato soup too - ok again with the cream soups....I don't eat them too often but I do love them....

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
jkcoop - I know - I was just thinking I'll need to water the trees again this weekend....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting