Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm part Scottish! Sounds fun! We have a good Scottish Festival and a good Irish Festival here.
L.A. has terrific multi-day Irish and Scottish festivals. Here in AZ, not so much. I'm sort of tossing around the idea of going back to So Cal for St. Patrick's day. Listen to a lot of great Irish musicians and eat too much corned beef.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Morning! Just heading off to work here...a little snow on the ground and not sunny out....

Txt - can you visit the career counseling office at the CC where you took some classes? I think you need to find out where your aptitude lies and figure out some career options from there. I agree with whomever said it seems to me like she's afraid to apply because then, if she doesn't get in or doesn't succeed, the door is closed. It's easier to keep putting it off and keep the option "out there"....I also agree that with all the issues (health, emotional etc) that "cop" is probably not the best career choice at the moment. Figure out the health issues, visit the counseling office and find out what other things you might be suited for and how to get there. Nothing is without sacrifices...Nothing. You sacrifice things, or time, or money not matter what choice you make. By riding the stationary bike (working a bunch of jobs to pay for stuff you want now) you are sacrificing getting anywhere, in addition to time and money (money from future income if you find something, stick with it, complete it and enter a career that pays more). If your biggest fear in life is having to do without your cell phone for a couple of months (whether for the military or not) that's a huge issue. You have a lot more to worry about than that. If sacrificing that cell phone bill would pay for a doctor visit/labs, you'd be wise to do that and just have a prepaid service for emergencies only. Your health right now should be your top priority.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
What's the one in Estes Park every year? It's a Scottish Festival I think. Have you ever been?
yes, I think it is, but I haven't been to that one. There is a Scottish festival in Highlands Ranch and an Irish Festival in Littleton.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Morning! Just heading off to work here...a little snow on the ground and not sunny out.....
Zero snow here and crystal clear blue skies! Such a huge difference in a relatively short span.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've asked about the application over and over. And always get ignored. I'm not sure she wants to BE a cop, she just wants to hang out with cops. One of my brothers was career military. (Now retired.) As Lisdol said, he most certainly had "stuff". And a wife and three sons and all their "stuff". I doubt she's even talked with anyone about that as an option.
I was military. Then I was a military wife. Yes, one has "stuff" in the military. I mean if you don't have a cell phone or car for all of 3 months during boot camp, one will survive; it can be done.
But txtgirl is not a military person & probably would be the worst place for her. There are many people like her to join just to get a paycheck & make it about 3-4 wks. Others thrive. But from her posts, the military would only draw out her lifestyle choices & probably encourage her to get more involved w/ those who do in the military. I saw some weird, weird stuff at BCT & in the military.
"I" appreciated the lifestyle, but it had its moments. That's life.
It's not for everyone, that is for sure.

Some people just need to hit rock bottom & then crawl their way out on their own terms. You can give people all the advice in the world, but if they don't want to accept it or do anything to make changes in their lives, that is their choice.

Life can either be ok (it is never perfect) or a living hell. It is a personal choice.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Morning everyone!

I've asked about the application over and over. And always get ignored. I'm not sure she wants to BE a cop, she just wants to hang out with cops. One of my brothers was career military. (Now retired.) As Lisdol said, he most certainly had "stuff". And a wife and three sons and all their "stuff". I doubt she's even talked with anyone about that as an option.

Anyone here Scottish? We went to a small Robert Burns Dinner last night. No haggis since it's illegal to import into this country. But there were toasts and speeches and a good time was had by all.

I won't tell you what the temperature is going to be here today.
I got the application awhile back but I need a new one for this year. I will be calling and asking for that soon.
And I do want to be a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
dramaqueen wants what she wants, feels she's entitled to it, and expects to get it without having to actually earn it. Just like most 13-year-old girls who are spoiled rotten by doting grandmothers.
Ok listen here, I am just tired of working two jobs, running myself into the ground and not getting paid anything.
If I am working this hard and yes I am working hard, I was at BBB this morning from 9-12:30 and have to be at my other job by 3 today and I work till 11pm, I do this till Friday. This should be paying off so much more than it is. I should be making so much more money than I am making this is absolutely ridiculous that I don't have any more money than I do that this isn't paying off any more than it is.

I have worked EVERY SINGLE DAY for like the past two weeks, I don't get much sleep. Tonight I have to be at my new job till a little after 11pm and then go home sleep and be back at BBB at 9am.

If I had one day off, if I was making like $10/hr at each job, if it was paying off and benefiting me and not draining me and making me miserable then it would be worth it.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I got the application awhile back but I need a new one for this year. I will be calling and asking for that soon.

Ok listen here, I am just tired of working two jobs, running myself into the ground and not getting paid anything.
If I am working this hard and yes I am working hard, I was at BBB this morning from 9-12:30 and have to be at my other job by 3 today and I work till 11pm, I do this till Friday. This should be paying off so much more than it is. I should be making so much more money than I am making this is absolutely ridiculous that I don't have any more money than I do that this isn't paying off any more than it is.

I have worked EVERY SINGLE DAY for like the past two weeks, I don't get much sleep. Tonight I have to be at my new job till a little after 11pm and then go home sleep and be back at BBB at 9am.

If I had one day off, if I was making like $10/hr at each job, if it was paying off and benefiting me and not draining me and making me miserable then it would be worth it.

No offense but didn't you post this before and everyone told you it was a bad idea. Well see once again the mommies where right.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
No offense but didn't you post this before and everyone told you it was a bad idea. Well see once again the mommies where right.
I may quit BBB but it just makes me so sad to think about leaving there.
I almost quit today.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:

You want to be a cop? Prove it. Call today. No. Drive down today and pick up the application.

You're underpaid? Welcome to the world. You need to understand that most people work very hard THEIR WHOLE LIVES and do not get paid what they probably deserve. That is Life 101. You might as well learn that right now.

You are not the first person on the planet to work seven days a week. You want to not work two jobs? Give up the phone and all the crap you buy and reduce your expenses. Work things out with your mother and cope.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:

you would make much more after 4+ years of college. I made minimum wage + tips all the way through college. That's just the way it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting