Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

This is interesting.

I'm chosing our healthcare policy for next year. I created a spreadsheet to compare the plans.

There are three plans options. Option 1 has the cheapest premium and Option 3 has the most expensive premium.

For each option, I added the following (assuming an expensive surgery would meet the deductible and out of pocket expenses before physical therapy copays):

Total Yearly Premium
Total Deductible
Total Out of Pocket Expenses
Total Co-Pays for 60 Physical Therapy Appointments (max for our plan)

I got the following totals:

Option 1: $7930
Option 2: $7724
Option 3: $8148

So, the most expensive premium plan (Option 3) is the most expensive plan overall!

The middle priced plan (Option 2) is the plan that costs the least overall!

Isn't that weird? Am I missing something?

(btw, I'm fully aware that Option 1 is the cheapest plan if a family doesn't use the policy, but I know my husband will be having surgery in a few weeks that will require long-term physical therapy afterwards.)

Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ummm... she has a pair of pink bunny footie pajamas grandma got her last year!

We tried them on at the beginning of this winter but they don't fit anymore. They're very very cute. The bunny feet have ears! But she's only 3 so it's ok.

Hideous Christmas dresses, not so much. It had this horrible red and white striped turtleneck to go under it, and then she put green leggings on. She looked like some kind of awful Holiday Elf Clown. Then Nana put a giant red polka dot bow in her hair (dd's) and when she looked in the mirror she yelled "Get it OUT!" at the top of her lungs. She drew the line there. I felt bad, but I don't know what it is that makes otherwise sane women want to dress little girls up like they're some kind of demented ornament.

And don't get me started on the "Charleston Bonnet" we had to endure when she was 2.
Oops my bad. I read it as "he". And I was thinking about a Christmas Story

Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So I spend the later part of the evening in the ER last night. DS and his friends were goofing around wrestling and DS hurt his neck and couldn't feel his fingers or walk ...He's fine but spent 2 1/2 hours and the ER copay making sure. Nothing like getting a phone call from your son's friends telling you that 'he hurt his neck and doesn't look good. We're taking him to the hospital"....to get your adrenaline going.
Did you tell him you'll wring his neck if he pulls a stunk like that again?!

Glad he's okay! That is not a call you want to get for sure.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Oops my bad. I read it as "he". And I was thinking about a Christmas Story
No worries! It was a funny coinkydink that we already had a pair. I don't remember that part from a Christmas Story. I'll have to watch it again (maybe next year. I'm kinda over Christmas ).

Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Did you tell him you'll wring his neck if he pulls a stunk like that again?!

Glad he's okay! That is not a call you want to get for sure.
Ha! That's funny jk.

Poor mm. Glad he's ok too.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is interesting.

I'm chosing our healthcare policy for next year. I created a spreadsheet to compare the plans.

There are three plans options. Option 1 has the cheapest premium and Option 3 has the most expensive premium.

For each option, I added the following (assuming an expensive surgery would meet the deductible and out of pocket expenses before physical therapy copays):

Total Yearly Premium
Total Deductible
Total Out of Pocket Expenses
Total Co-Pays for 60 Physical Therapy Appointments (max for our plan)

I got the following totals:

Option 1: $7930
Option 2: $7724
Option 3: $8148

So, the most expensive premium plan (Option 3) is the most expensive plan overall!

The middle priced plan (Option 2) is the plan that costs the least overall!

Isn't that weird? Am I missing something?

(btw, I'm fully aware that Option 1 is the cheapest plan if a family doesn't use the policy, but I know my husband will be having surgery in a few weeks that will require long-term physical therapy afterwards.)
Wow Hopes! That is weird, I assume all three options are the same company or all three different?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Wow Hopes! That is weird, I assume all three options are the same company or all three different?
They're all options provided by the same employer by the same insurance company providing health insurance for hubby's employer group plan.

I've calculated various scenarios. Every single scenario has very similar monthly expenses when calculating the monthly premium and the copays for physical therapy. The only scenario where the most expensive plan provides more savings is when multiple family members have surgery in the year. But even then, the savings is only 3k. With only 3k in savings, it almost seems worth taking the gamble and buying the cheaper plan. Even Option 2 isn't really worth buying because it only saves $206 per year, but the monthly premium plus monthly copays are almost equal for all three plans.

We're being scammed by these options because they're not really options! LOL

So this tells me to take the gamble and go for the cheapest policy each year. If I lose the gamble, I'm only losing 3k. And what are the odds I'll lose the gamble multiple years? Minimal. The odds of mutiple family members having expensive treatments in one year are small. And it's worth paying an extra 3k if that happens than to pay a high premium for nothing.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They're all options provided by the same employer by the same insurance company providing health insurance for hubby's employer group plan.

I've calculated various scenarios. Every single scenario has very similar monthly expenses when calculating the monthly premium and the copays for physical therapy. The only scenario where the most expensive plan provides more savings is when multiple family members have surgery in the year. But even then, the savings is only 3k. With only 3k in savings, it almost seems worth taking the gamble and buying the cheaper plan. Even Option 2 isn't really worth buying because it only saves $206 per year, but the monthly premium and copays are almost equal.

We're being scammed by these options. They're not really options.

So this tells me to take the gamble and go for the cheapest policy each year. If I lose the gamble, I'm only losing 3k. And what are the odds I'll lose the gamble multiple years? Minimal. The odds of mutiple family members having expensive treatments in one year are small. And it's worth paying an extra 3k if that happens than to pay a high premium for nothing.

You are right about that, they are not really options. It would be minimal if you lose the gamble and I assume you would have at least 3K in savings somewhere just in case for a rainy day. I recently had done our health insurance as well and the options given were not very good. I was told that high premuim = small deductible but the deductibles were still very high for my liking.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
No worries! It was a funny coinkydink that we already had a pair. I don't remember that part from a Christmas Story. I'll have to watch it again (maybe next year. I'm kinda over Christmas ).
Just for you

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YUld5bIBaA...ny+costume.jpg

Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Quote:
Ha! That's funny jk.

Poor mm. Glad he's ok too.
When something really serious happens to your child you go into this weird "parent" mode after the initial shock. You do everything you need to, hold it all together, then lose it later on when everything is all right.

MM did that happen to you?

Not pleasant and you just think how you never want to go through it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting