Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Pretty much all of that - it's too contrived and annoying. If one of my kids did like it, they could listen in their rooms or with headphones but so far we're pretty much in tune when it comes to music.
Wow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 PM

I listen to everything from Lady Gaga to Phillip Glass to Harry Connick Jr. to Dvorak to Mozart to Pink Floyd and everything in between. I don't think every.piece.of.music has to be a Great Piece of Musical Art Unparalleled by Any. I like to shake it to Black Eyed Peas when I'm putting away laundry and laze around to Glass while I'm designing.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
My mom never censored, which I am glad because her and I are far from in tune with music taste. I would have never been allowed to listen to ANY music if I wasn't allowed to listen to something she didn't like, because I surely wouldn't have listened to hers and would have been left with nothing. We have bands in common like snow patrol, the fray and U2 but that's it.

I won't censor either no matter what it is...obviously I wouldn't have a 6 year old listening to drake ft nikki minaj but if she wants to listen to hannah montana fine, music is personal, music needs to be thoroughly enjoyed by the person listening to it.

IMO, there is nothing worse or more scary than having personal taste controlled, if you cannot be happy in your own clothes, with the way you look and with what you listen and entertain yourself with then how can you be happy? People of any age should be able to control personal taste in anything.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
I love music, I can appreciate all types. I grew up w/ my mom playing Mario Lanza and Jerry Vale, so learned an appreciation to them at an early age. My favs were probably Pink Floyd and Styx, but also have a sappy side to me w/ Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, even Willie Nelson music. We may start out our day w/ Christian rock and end w/ hard rock. We love it all. I don't forbid my daughter any music. Her fav right now is Taylor Swift. If she could, she'd forbid me listening to Adam Lambert, lol. She doesn't know what I see in him, but I love his music.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM

133 posts, read 183,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I love music, I can appreciate all types. I grew up w/ my mom playing Mario Lanza and Jerry Vale, so learned an appreciation to them at an early age. My favs were probably Pink Floyd and Styx, but also have a sappy side to me w/ Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, even Willie Nelson music. We may start out our day w/ Christian rock and end w/ hard rock. We love it all. I don't forbid my daughter any music. Her fav right now is Taylor Swift. If she could, she'd forbid me listening to Adam Lambert, lol. She doesn't know what I see in him, but I love his music.

Ahhhh, I adore Adam Lambert.

Maybe my problem is that my favorite music includes Coldplay, Radiohead, Adam Lambert, Incubus, Keith Urban, Muse, Aaron Copland, Dmitri Shostakovich, Pete Seeger, and Iron Maiden. I think I hit every genre there... and I was listening to the same type of mix when I was fourteen, so forbidding any music would be supremely hypocritical!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Music has also become a great connector. We have a Christmas tradition of going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra. Every one loves the concert. The other day, the younger one and I were watching The Nutcracker on TV. She recognized the music from one of the TSO's pieces. We then spent the next hour or so searching classical pieces and comparing them to modern adaptations. I have taken the oldest to Cruefest as well as other concerts.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Music has also become a great connector. We have a Christmas tradition of going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra. Every one loves the concert. The other day, the younger one and I were watching The Nutcracker on TV. She recognized the music from one of the TSO's pieces. We then spent the next hour or so searching classical pieces and comparing them to modern adaptations. I have taken the oldest to Cruefest as well as other concerts.
I love TSO. Unfortunately, I just missed the concert here in Houston.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Years ago, my youngest daughter (now age 18) developed an interest in "oldies" (meaning 70's and 80's). To this day, she can hear a song on the classic rock station and identify who the group is. She's always enjoyed pawing through my old 45's and LP's. Last year, her dad found an old turntable stereo and fixed it for her as a Christmas present - she spent days listening to KISS, The Partridge Family, Blue Oyster Cult, etc., plus Cheech and Chong's Wedding Album and George Carlin's Class Clown (which includes those seven words...)

Old 12-28-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I am planning on taking my older son to see "The Nutcracker" next year. It was on our local PBS affiliate on Christmas Eve and he was just transfixed.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am planning on taking my older son to see "The Nutcracker" next year. It was on our local PBS affiliate on Christmas Eve and he was just transfixed.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!

Buy the tickets as soon as they go on sale next year so you don't miss out. Was the PBS version you watched the American Ballet Theater production with Baryshnikov? That one is simply as good as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting