Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to hear that txt.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
I love giving gifts. I really like giving homemade gifts. They take longer than just going out and buying something, but I think they usually turn out good in the end.

My parents 42 wedding anniversary is tomorrow. For thier 40th, I put together a video montage of their life together. After I created the DVD, I took all of my mom's pictures and organized them into albums for her. She had one of those 30 gallon storage bins with loose pictures in it. They were in no order at all. I found their Prom picture (1967) next to a picture of me when I was 17 (1996). Some of the pictures were of people I didn't know because they had died 20 years before I was born. I ended up creating a family photo website where my entire family (Grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) could log in and identify pictures and add stories about the pictures. It took about a year and 1/2 to sort them all out, but she ended up with 20 photo albums that were neatly organized in chronological order. I also included any stories that came with the pictures.

I think that was the best gift I ever gave because she was so happy to see them all. She loves pulling them out and showing them to family when they come to visit.

What were your favorite gifts to give?

btw... I am just now realizing that most of my gifts take a lot of advanced planning. I am starting to realize why I am so tired all of the time. lol.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I can't take the heat! I'm tempted to buy one of those little plastic kiddy pools FOR ME! Do I have no shame?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
I'll be right with you on Thursday Hopes. I hear it's supposed to be 90 here...I'm an 80's kind of gal...not sure we've even hit that very much lately so it will be quite a jump. You heard jk and rkb...really really windy here today. I kept hearing my flag whipping in the wind, hoping the wind wouldn't pull the flagpole right out of the holder and down the street. I knew it couldn't actually do that but man, it sure sounded possible for a bit. All calm now and have the sprinklers going.....My transplanted hostas seem to be surviving ok - I broke apart 2 clumps and turned them into 10 separate plants! I planted them around/under one of the maple trees (the one that has leaves LOL). I love the look of hostas and daylillies together. I had planted a bunch of daylillies last year in that same area. In a few years it should all pull together nicely.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM

We hit 96 today. Thankfully, it's not super humid, just normal humid. But it's dreadful. We went from the high 60s to 96 almost overnight.

A thunderstorm is coming tomorrow. The high is 77. But I guarantee you it will be MORE uncomfortable tomorrow than it is today because the humidity will be super high.

Anyways, I was pricing above ground swimming pools. I can afford to get one, but then I bulk at the maintenance involved.

Considering I hate cleaning my house, it's unrealistic to think I'll maintain a pool properly.

So, I told the kids I was buying a baby pool. They thought I meant a big blow up one.

I said, no, no, no, a little plastic one! And we're having a pool party!

My sister said to get a sprinker and sit under it in lawn chair!

LMAO! Could you imagine?

That would be torture--every few seconds cold droplets hitting hot skin! It would be worse than slowly getting into a cold swimming pool!

I told her we'll just crash her house and swim in her pool when she's at work.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
I see nothing wrong with having a wading pool to cool off in. Also, sprinklers can be set to -not- move back and forth; so it's like sitting under a low-pressure wide-nozzle cold-water shower.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't take the heat! I'm tempted to buy one of those little plastic kiddy pools FOR ME! Do I have no shame?
Umm. I did buy a kiddie pool for me. Luckily I had DD as my excuse, but the pool was actually for me.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Good Morning All!

Reading about Syria this morning is so depressing. Makes me so grateful for all I have in my life.

I've had Joan on my mind all week.

YouTube - ‪Joan Armatrading - Willow (Live in the Studio)‬‏

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Umm. I did buy a kiddie pool for me. Luckily I had DD as my excuse, but the pool was actually for me.
I was wishing I had that excuse yesterday!

Then it occurred to me that I have dogs who need help cooling off in the heat!

I'm buying the kiddie pool--for the dogs, of course!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
So we got our first farm share yesterday. Most of it - easy. But I've never had bok choy before. Need suggestions on what to do with it.
Slice them in half, wash gently (keep the halves intact), and trim the ends. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil on low for five to eight minutes, checking frequently. The white parts will be cooked but crunchy, and the greens will be wilted and crispy at the edges. Nom nom nom! Bok choy is very good for you.

Kale, I use in soups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting