Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

Dare I say it?

Yes!

Happy Passover to any and all who are celebrating the holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Dare I say it?

Yes!

Happy Passover to any and all who are celebrating the holiday.
LOL! Yes you may and thank you.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
OK, I take it back. One person did say they don't like being told Merry Christmas
I don't care if people say that to me. But that's the thing. I don't care. It's meaningless to me. It's an empty statement to me. It's wishes for happiness on an event that has no validity to me. It's a routine scripted statement made by automatons who would *never* think to say "Happy Thursday!" to me in the grocery line. It doesn't really even mean anything to most of the people who say it.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM

157 posts, read 140,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't care if people say that to me. But that's the thing. I don't care. It's meaningless to me. It's an empty statement to me. It's wishes for happiness on an event that has no validity to me. It's a routine scripted statement made by automatons who would *never* think to say "Happy Thursday!" to me in the grocery line. It doesn't really even mean anything to most of the people who say it.
I'm really sorry to hear that.

We don't decorate, or do a tree, or have presents except sometimes a couple for child, but the time itself makes me warm inside; the lights, the music, people actually interacting more, the special smells, the overall cheer all make me believe there's hope for the human race.

There are events during the year, but none like Christmas to bring people together in the warmth of it all.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that.
Why?

Quote:
There are events during the year, but none like Christmas to bring people together in the warmth of it all.
I think you forgot to add to you and your family.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Quote:
What does your belief system have to do with my holiday? What does my belief system have to do with your holiday? Your belief system has no significance to me, has no meaning to me.

Telling me "Merry Christmas" is as meaningful to me as if you had said "Sixteen green yes." Why would you want to make an empty statement to me? Just because YOU find meaning in it? Then wish yourself a Merry Christmas.

However if you were to say Happy Holidays, as I said in a previous post, I'd appreciate it, find it to be generous and pleasant, and I would wish it upon you as well. It _includes_ your belief system, rather than _excludes_ your belief system.

When you say Merry Christmas to me, you are saying "your own beliefs are irrelevent, and I don't care what you believe, if anything. I only care that you hear me tell you that *I* acknowledge Christmas as the only valid holiday during this season."

I consider it impolite. I'm not hurt by it. Mostly because I really don't care what you believe, either. But it's a waste of words, it's empty, and it is pointless. I don't recognize or acknowledge a Christ. Therefore I am incapable of having a "Merry Christmas," whether you wish it upon me or not.

Quote:

Do you really have such strong thoughts about people wishing you a "Merry Christmas"? That is interesting. My atheist dh tends to wish people a "Merry Christmas" at holiday parties, and last year I reminded him that some people don't celebrate Christmas. I guess you are a case in point. Then again some people don't like being told "Happy Holidays", either. I guess we should just stop wishing everyone anything and keep quiet. Personally, I am not offended by anyone who wishes me a happy or merry anything, whether it's "happy holidays", "merry Christmas", "how are you", "happy New Year", or "have a nice day", it's just meant as a polite greeting, "a waste of words" as you say. And if someone said, "happy hanukkah" or "happy kwanzaa" I would not not mind. It's the thought that counts, so I don't think to myself, "how impolite of that person". I have way too many more important things to worry about in life.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Do you really have such strong thoughts about people wishing you a "Merry Christmas"? That is interesting. My atheist dh tends to wish people a "Merry Christmas" at holiday parties, and last year I reminded him that some people don't celebrate Christmas. I guess you are a case in point. Then again some people don't like being told "Happy Holidays", either. I guess we should just stop wishing everyone anything and keep quiet. Personally, I am not offended by anyone who wishes me a happy or merry anything, whether it's "happy holidays", "merry Christmas", "how are you", "happy New Year", or "have a nice day", it's just meant as a polite greeting, "a waste of words" as you say. And if someone said, "happy hanukkah" or "happy kwanzaa" I would not not mind. It's the thought that counts, so I don't think to myself, "how impolite of that person". I have way too many more important things to worry about in life.
Actually, I think it's more of a lack of thought. They are assuming that everyone celebrates Christmas like they do, and have failed to think about other people as individuals who may celebrate something else or nothing at all. It is the thoughtlessness of assuming that everyone is like them that some find objectionable.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
I hope that teacher doesn't teach geometry. Since when is an egg shape a "sphere"?

And the funny part....the Easter egg has nothing to do with Easter. It has to do with non religous traditions tied to fertility and spring.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hope that teacher doesn't teach geometry. Since when is an egg shape a "sphere"?

And the funny part....the Easter egg has nothing to do with Easter. It has to do with non religous traditions tied to fertility and spring.
They ARE religious traditions tied to fertility and spring. They're just not *christian* religious traditions.

Remember, Christianity isn't the only religion out there. And spring fertility rites date back several thousands of years. Christianity is the new kid on the block.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Why should anyone care if colored eggs at Easter time are called Easter eggs? When else do people color eggs that the majority of people celebrate?

By that same logic, why should it bother anyone if they're called Spring Geometric Shapes of Uncertain Provenance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting