Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, no, no!!! It's MERRY 5th day of the week. Get with the program....
Fourth day, for our European friends-- at least, if my seventh grade French teacher was correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Well we all know that Thursday is really Thor's Day and Thor was a Norse heathen G-d whose day I would NEVER celebrate
You have just offended our Asatruar contingent.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
How dare you assume that I celebrate Thursday ?
No offense to people in Russia, where it's already Friday.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Happy Thursday, everyone!
Ugh. You are SOOOO offensive Julia!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
So you're calling me a liar? I don't have to fabricate a story to make my point, so think what you wish.

I guess the people I have known are just not as narrow minded as those you have known.
I've known a lot of Muslims, there are some in my family, just never seen any of them celebrate Christmas. So you have. That's all. Chill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I actually know a Muslem family that celebrates Christmas with their kids. They do the tree/decorations etc. I doubt it is a religious occasion for them, I suspect they just don't want their Americanized children to feel left out. Of the Jewish families I know that celebrate Christmas, that is the reason they do so too, for the kids. I don't know why people are so quick to cry, "heretics!" when they hear of non-Christians celebrating Christmas. It's just the commercial side of Christmas these families are celebrating, even many atheists celebrate Christmas. Heck, my son wanted to celebrate Hanukkuh last year, and I considered buying a menora. I thought it would be a learning experience.
C'est la vie!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I've known a lot of Muslims, there are some in my family, just never seen any of them celebrate Christmas. So you have. That's all. Chill out.
You are simply stating you've never known Muslims who celebrate Christmas and that's all? And telling standupandbecounted to chill out?

How do you expect someone to react when you call them a liar?

Quote:
I call BS on this story too. I know many Muslims, some more adherent than others, and not one of them gives their children gifts on Christmas.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM

157 posts, read 140,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Honestly? You wouldn't be the first person to make up "well, I know somebody who illustrates my point completely!" on an internet forum. Let's just call it creative definition of the word "data".
Honestly? Don't call someone a liar unless you know that person and know he or she is really lying. The man's name is Malik and he was, or still is the Imam for the Islamic Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Quote:
Well we all know that Thursday is really Thor's Day and Thor was a Norse heathen G-d whose day I would NEVER celebrate
What's so bad about Thor?

Quote:
Despite his ferocious appearance, he was very popular as the protector of both gods and humans against the forces of evil. He even surpassed his father Odin in popularity because, contrary to Odin, he did not require human sacrifices. In his temple at Uppsala he was shown standing with Odin at his right side. This temple was replaced by a Christian church in 1080.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/thor.html

Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Honestly? Don't call someone a liar unless you know that person and know he or she is really lying. The man's name is Malik and he was, or still is the Imam for the Islamic Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

What's so bad about Thor?

Thor
I was Joking

Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You are simply stating you've never known Muslims who celebrate Christmas and that's all? And telling standupandbecounted to chill out?

How do you expect someone to react when you call them a liar?
Standupandbecounted is welcome to respond to me any way they choose.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Standupandbecounted is welcome to respond to me any way they choose.
Ok. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting