Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

I admit that it's been a few years since I had a job but I didn't realize that all of today's jobs are now in the construction industry. I also didn't realize that as a SAHM I could just sit on my butt all day and drink beer. I have some serious catching up to do. Off to the store to buy me a case of beer. I'll leave the cat in charge of the kids and the household duites. The dog can pick up the groceries.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM

616 posts, read 854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What, precisely, is nonsense? That they spend their day in school? Yah actually they do. Every day. From 8 until 2:45.
And you're complaining? Jesus Christ, I'd take your spot in a heartbeat. sounds like you got a sweetheart deal.

you wanna trade?? I work on a construction crane from 5am to sometimes 12 midnight MONDAY THRU FRIDAY...you wanna switch??

I'd LOVE to do what you do and you do what I do.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
And you're complaining? Jesus Christ, I'd take your spot in a heartbeat. sounds like you got a sweetheart deal.

you wanna trade?? I work on a construction crane from 5am to sometimes 12 midnight MONDAY THRU FRIDAY...you wanna switch??

I'd LOVE to do what you do and you do what I do.
Is she your wife?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I admit that it's been a few years since I had a job but I didn't realize that all of today's jobs are now in the construction industry. I also didn't realize that as a SAHM I could just sit on my butt all day and drink beer. I have some serious catching up to do. Off to the store to buy me a case of beer. I'll leave the cat in charge of the kids and the household duites. The dog can pick up the groceries.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM

616 posts, read 854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Is she your wife?
no.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
I know several stay at home dads.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-26-2011 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
Hello!...I don't stay at home. I'm talking ME staying home.

and women in general are not dominating the construction industry so save that..lol

of course it's their choice, what else would it be??

LOOK, nobody is forcing women to stay at home. it's just the way things were set up years ago where Men being the bread winner and the wife locks down the home.

^Where's the problem with that because I don't see it? all I see is women acting catty and frustrated for having to play their position. that's it.

Again I say, If you women so upset about the roles, then get your lobbyists on the phone and lobby for Men to COME HOME and Women do our jobs...Then we'll really see how much lip-service you have.

Because trust me, I could use 5-10 years off just kicking it at home with the kids. and when my 10 years is up you bet I'll be complaining to keep my stay-at-home gig..lol...

TOUCHE!
For anybody who thinks that Feminism is now an unnecessary and outdated ideal, I give you Exhibit A.

As to the debate re SAHM's as a whole being less educated, and not as good a role model for their daughters, in terms of equality - I would say that NOW, perhaps not 20/30 years ago, women tend to work in high quality positions a lot longer and right up until they have their babies, when they decide to stay home, many for the younger years - and then they go back to work, or they work from home, or they start a home based enterprise. Or they stay home until their children have left the nest, but I think it's pretty rare that you'll find a SAHM who has never had some kind of career path up to the the time they had a child.

Women are having babies later, and staying at work longer. I don't think you can quantify the type of woman who is a stay at home mom any longer. The ones that have not had any kind of career prior to staying at home are probably the ones that would not have had a career regardless of whether they had children or not, and would have stayed in a subsistence job their whole lives (not making a value judgment, just stating a fact).

Luckily educated and driven women do have the choice as to when/if they wish to stay at home because they'd like to, or work because they'd like to. Because of technology, even that line is becoming more and more blurry.

Good luck trying to pigeonhole women these days - I don't think you really can, and I don't know why you'd want to.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh hooray, the bonbon and soap opera stereotype. Does your wife stay home with your children? Does she sit on her butt all day? That is unfortunate. There are lots of stay-at-home parents around here (mostly moms but some dads too), and they seem pretty busy to me.
His stereotype is silly and irritating, but honestly, I find the ones flung with abandon by fellow women to be far more offensive. They should know better, and yet...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What, precisely, is nonsense? That they spend their day in school? Yah actually they do. Every day. From 8 until 2:45.
Well, from some points of view that would be nonsense....<ducking and running, flinging bonbons as I go>

Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
His stereotype is silly and irritating, but honestly, I find the ones flung with abandon by fellow women to be far more offensive. They should know better, and yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting