Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Good for your DD's squad! It sounds like you have a great group of girls and mentors/parents! Good luck at nationals.
Thank you for the luck!!! We do have great girls as well as parents. Our coach is awesome as well! With most squads, when the girls hit middle school and make the school squads, they leave, but our girls stay until they go off to college, even after they make their school squads. We have this great squad and we are just a community rec center squad... not one of those major training centers that cost hundreds of dollars a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Thank you for the luck!!! We do have great girls as well as parents. Our coach is awesome as well! With most squads, when the girls hit middle school and make the school squads, they leave, but our girls stay until they go off to college, even after they make their school squads. We have this great squad and we are just a community rec center squad... not one of those major training centers that cost hundreds of dollars a month.
This makes my heart happy!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
To see this post makes me sad. I am actually the fundraising go to person for my daughter's squad. We would NEVER ask for straight donations. That was never even considered. we've done/doing doughnuts, t shirts, skate-a-thons, glamour portraits, bracelets. hairbows, restaurant helpers... and more. Never. Not once would we consider a straight donation solicitation. I agree with the OP, it is panhandling.

Our squad also does community service. We are working to be 'known' in our small community. This is only our second year with a nationals bid, so we are still learning about successful fundraising, but we aren't entitled to go without the hard work it takes to get us there... not just the practice and skill, but the financial aspect.
I'm glad to read that someone who's in it understands my point. Although I probably wouldn't have given money this thread would have never been made if it were an actual fundraiser instead of panhandling. I have no problem with a group trying to earn their way. Begging for the money is just wrong and if people think there's nothing wrong with this group was doing they have flaws in their own values.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Our squad also does community service. We are working to be 'known' in our small community.
You have no idea how much this impresses me. Good for you! I'd like to add my wishes for good luck. It sounds like this is a pretty special group.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You have no idea how much this impresses me. Good for you! I'd like to add my wishes for good luck. It sounds like this is a pretty special group.
How can we ask our community to support us if we cannot give back to that same community? That is when the idea of community service came in. What impresses me is the girls' willingness to become involved. They are a special group.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
I've coached cheerleading for years. "Tag days" are very common. We frequently send teams to nationals and it's very expensive. We get local businesses to sponsor us, sell candles, Avon, etc. and ask for donations outside of stores.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My son went to Australia with People to People when he was going into 7th grade. We did not follow the suggestion that we ask friends and relatives to sponsor him. We paid, and we were glad we could.

Now, many years later, my granchildren are always selling stuff for their teams, dance groups, or scouts. Most of the time my daughter emails me to buy something. My philosophy is, if the kids aren't even willing to call me in person and ask me, then I'm not buying. Even when they do, I will not buy somehting I do not want. I would rather send the school or scout troop a check than to buy something they will only get a dollar or two out of anyway.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son went to Australia with People to People when he was going into 7th grade. We did not follow the suggestion that we ask friends and relatives to sponsor him. We paid, and we were glad we could.

Now, many years later, my granchildren are always selling stuff for their teams, dance groups, or scouts. Most of the time my daughter emails me to buy something. My philosophy is, if the kids aren't even willing to call me in person and ask me, then I'm not buying. Even when they do, I will not buy somehting I do not want. I would rather send the school or scout troop a check than to buy something they will only get a dollar or two out of anyway.
From an Aussie,
I hope your son enjoyed his trip to the land down under.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Thank you. People to People is exactly who I thought of regarding letters soliciting neighbors and relatives. We received a letter from a neighbor for this same thing. A kid who I'd bought tons of stuff from over the years for football, wrestling etc. I declined to donate. It never occured to me to ask my neighbors to send my child on a trip....

Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Anyone got a few tens of $k.
I'll send one of my kids to the US for a cultural exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting