Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times

Advertisements

Great idea, num1baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
A high school cheerleading squad wraps presents at my local Barnes and Noble to raise money.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am annoyed at the number of organizations that I have to push through to get into practically any store in my area. One Walmart had 4 different groups putside at the same time all "collecting donations" at the same time. One was for a soccer team to go to Districts. A mile down the road, that soccer team's main competition was having a car wash. I donated to the team having the car wash.

One of my favorite fundraisers I have seen (a few years ago) was outside of a Toys R Us. A group of Boy Scouts was outside wrapping gifts in exchange for a donation. They had 4 tables set up and were working fast (but good). They had a huge line. People get to donate and get a chore out of the way at the same time.
love this idea!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:30 PM

351 posts, read 633,081 times
I agree with the original poster.

No room for a *** mom around here panhandling with kids. Let'em rake my leaves.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

So will you send me some money so my kids can go to more wrestling tournaments?
I would donate to a wrestling team asking for help, sure.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A high school cheerleading squad wraps presents at my local Barnes and Noble to raise money.
I think this is a great idea. A lot of people would be happy giving money for gifts wrapped (and I expect many people donate a little extra if they know it is for a good cause). It also teaches the children involved the value of hard work towards a goal, and the fact that money is never free.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I think this is a great idea. A lot of people would be happy giving money for gifts wrapped (and I expect many people donate a little extra if they know it is for a good cause). It also teaches the children involved the value of hard work towards a goal, and the fact that money is never free.
Exactly. I think that's the point that most of us are trying to make.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Lots of kids are involved in positive activities. You don't have to be "groveling on the ground for money" to be panhandling.

So will you send me some money so my kids can go to more wrestling tournaments?
Forget your kid's wrestling tournament - I am officially now asking for donations to send me on a 10-day Western Carribean cruise. Because, I am a bingo champ, and plan on playing bingo on the ship. PayPal it to w w w eatmyshorts dot com

Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Why does hard work always have to end up in earning money? Can't valuing hard work come from getting a job done, achieving a goal, learning a new skill, etc?

Why must it always involve the almighty dollar? Why do some value money so much above all else that we scoff when asked for a donation of it?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Forget your kid's wrestling tournament - I am officially now asking for donations to send me on a 10-day Western Carribean cruise. Because, I am a bingo champ, and plan on playing bingo on the ship. PayPal it to w w w eatmyshorts dot com
Yes. This is the same thing as a national sports competition. Hope you didn't hurt yourself on that stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting