Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
There's that too.....we need to be teaching our kids that sometimes, we have to make difficult decisions. We are not "entitled" to everything just because it's there. Sometimes, unfortunately, the answer just is "no".
One other possibility is to plan to do some fundraising that is not already allocated to a specific purpose. That way the fundraising plans are already in place. If a trip does not materialize then the club can always use the funds for some other purpose.

Another possibility is for the kid to do some personal fundraising that is not done through the school. I have a friend whose son needs superior prosthetics for ALL FOUR limbs from age 8-adulthood. Her son is a very active participant in his own fundraising. A child who wanted to raise money for himself is not limited by what the school district allows him to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So the child spent 4 years preparing, win the state and then the regional, someone mismanages the money at the organization level, and tell the kid "too bad you are poor you can't go" and people wonder why children are disaffected.

Look it really is as simple as saying "No thank you" or throwing the letter in the garbage but what the people are basically saying is that they shouldn't even be asked when going out in public. It is too much of a hassle to say "No thanks" then to even let kids have a chance to do something they have worked for their entire high school careers.

And for all the people who are telling them to sell something; how many threads on here have there been the very same people whining about how many different ways they are asked to support something that way?
If these kids have been working towards this goal for 4 years, then why haven't they addressed the fundraising aspect beforehand?

Yes, People should NOT be asked to just hand over money. I have no problem giving to the truly needy, the ones who have tried to find work, who have kids to feed, who have disabilities limiting them. I DO have a problem being asked to fork over money to make somebody else's dream happen. I have dreams too. Reality happens.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:33 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Again, "National" cheer and dance competitions are not typically school or district sponsored events - they are held by businesses and typically involve clubs - that have these competitions for various age levels, most of these are club type events not school represented events. As far as I'm aware, anything school or district sponsored stops at the state level. Claiming that school districts pay for football travel but not (or at the expense of) cheer travel (in this instance) would be comparing apples to oranges. Cheer teams compete for state titles as well...just like football, basketball, volleyball etc.My son's lacrosse team last year chose to go to Florida to participate in some events. The district certainly did not pay their way - nor should they have. It had nothing to do with state or district competitions. As far as I'm aware of, there is no "national competition" for high school football teams anyway - other than rankings based on their own in-state play.
I was referring to the part about "earning the trip".

Old 11-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Seriously? You're comparing the Salvation Army to a trip for a cheerleading squad?
No, someone else did that. I merely replied.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Your district has crummy rules. That doesn't mean that begging for money is right. Begging for money for a trip is no different from begging for money for any other reason.
LOL Right. Asking for help from one's community to help support a program that is good for kids is soooooo wrong!

Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If these kids have been working towards this goal for 4 years, then why haven't they addressed the fundraising aspect beforehand?

Yes, People should NOT be asked to just hand over money. I have no problem giving to the truly needy, the ones who have tried to find work, who have kids to feed, who have disabilities limiting them. I DO have a problem being asked to fork over money to make somebody else's dream happen. I have dreams too. Reality happens.
Because, FTMP, things like competitions are only known for a few months ahead of time, not years.

IRT Bolded: That sounds awfully, awfully bitter.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because, FTMP, things like competitions are only known for a few months ahead of time, not years.

IRT Bolded: That sounds awfully, awfully bitter.
I agree; the team probably only knew they were going to nationals very recently.

I have mixed emotions about all this fundraising. Some teams can't do it w/o addition funds above and beyond what the school gives them. (This is seldom the problem for football, however.) OTOH, if you have a couple of kids in a couple of activities, it can get overwhelming.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
]This is seldom the problem for football, however.
Football teams raise funds just like other teams. There are gate admissions, concession sales, apparel sales, and advertising sales. I can't speak for other schools but at the school my kids attend ALL the teams and clubs raise funds for things not covered by the school.

The extra money that football has does not just appear. At our school each football player is responsible for selling $500 worth of advertising. JV parents man the concession stand at varsity games. We have a booster club that handles apparel sales.

Our wrestling team raises funds. We host tournaments and run concessions.

Our lacrosse team raises funds.

The band raises funds. So does the orchestra. And the debate team. Football is no different.

I really can't stand the whole "football gets everything" way of thinking. Football raises funds just like everyone else. Of course, when there are 70 kids between JV and varsity it is easier to raise funds than it is for smaller teams. But the football team is not just given everything.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
LOL Right. Asking for help from one's community to help support a program that is good for kids is soooooo wrong!
There is nothing wrong with raising funds. Panhandling is different.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
LOL Oh brother.

"You shall perform me young lady!" GMAFB Tell me does the size of your donation change depending on whether you liked the cheers or not?
They're cheerleaders. If they want me to give them money, then I want to see them cheer. I don't care if they're any good.

When my high school marching band had a fundraiser, it was held at the football field. We performed our drill and charged people to come. It included a hotdog and soda. The proceeds went to send us to Disney World to perform in the Mickey Mouse Parade.

When I was a street musician, I played for my supper - literally. Storytellers tell stories to earn money. Performers of all sorts, perform, if they want money to do the things they want to do.

Is there something offensive about expecting cheerleaders to cheer in exchange for the money they are requesting from strangers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting