Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You weren't asking me, but quite obviously I don't expect the poor people to dance for me before I donate money to the Salvation Army. It is completely different than thinking it would be a nice idea for a cheerleading squad to put on a performance to earn money. 2. totally. different. things.
Two different things, yes. But I think the girls are involved in a good, healthy activity and I would be happy to support them. Without expecting anything in return.

It's ok to do things for others without expecting anything in return. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Two different things, yes. But I think the girls are involved in a good, healthy activity and I would be happy to support them. Without expecting anything in return.

It's ok to do things for others without expecting anything in return. Really.
Really, I am aware of that, as I donate quite often to people I don't know and will never see. Teaching kids that it is ok to panhandle for a non-necessity, is wrong IMO.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm the child of parents who were desperately poor during the Great Depression. Yes. It has affected the way I think. I make NO apologies for that.

You think my parents weren't told "too bad you are poor you can't go"? I'm here to tell you they were. They didn't become "disaffected". They grew up, one of them went to war, one of them was supporting her siblings when she was 16, and they worked their buns off for every single thing they had. Every. Single. Thing.

Yeah. It affected me. They raised me to work for what I have. I see some kid outside a supermarket holding out a jar asking me for money so he can take a trip someplace (while I have my own bills to pay) and I'm going to offer to let him wash was my car. I'm not worried about Junior growing up to be disaffected because everything isn't handed to him. How about we let him learn that life is hard and (especially in today's economy) it isn't necessairly fair? If things continue to go downhill it's a lesson a lot of people are going to have to learn.

You wash my car. I give you money. Seems fair to me.
It amazes me how much people's perspective shift.

Earn?

We want kids to excel in school, excel in after school activities, participate in their community, work at a part time job and now their reward for all of that hard work is they get called "entitled" if they DARE to put out a letter or can for a quarter so they can continue their hard work by going on to another level of competition.

Lets be really clear here. When these kids, many of whom are the same children in most danger of not graduating or other bad outcomes, drop out of these activities because they can no longer afford them, what do you think is going to happen?

Ugh, I am literally so disgusted with this thread I am done with this whole forum. I hope those girls get their chance and I am eternally grateful that there were kind hearted people who helped Danielle (my student) go to the competition she had WORKED so hard to get to. She worked 25+ hours a week (because her dad had a stroke her sophomore year) and would not have been able to wash your car between that job, school and her community service. She got to go, we placed second in the nation, and she EARNED a scholarship which is the only reason why she was able to go to college.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM

249 posts, read 803,705 times
Let me jump in here a moment. You usually say, "No thanks" and walk away.

So, what you did was to get upset with a (formerly fat) person because you didn't like something she said, and then you said, "No thanks" and walked away and came on this site to post rants and raves about the situation.

Um, "No thanks". Let's have a new subject, because this one is nothing to cheer about.

Oh, I get it, are you maybe harboring a little tiny grudge because you yourself were not picked to be on the cheerleading squad as a young girl?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Really, I am aware of that, as I donate quite often to people I don't know and will never see. Teaching kids that it is ok to panhandle for a non-necessity, is wrong IMO.
Exaggerating the act of asking for donations into panhandling is wrong IMO.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
What is the difference?

According to Mirriam-Webster:

Definition of PANHANDLE

intransitive verb
: to stop people on the street and ask for food or money : beg

Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What is the difference?
You really can't see the difference between asking for donations and panhandling? REALLY?

So is St. Judes panhandling when they ask for donations?

How about UNICEF?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What is the difference?

According to Mirriam-Webster:

Definition of PANHANDLE

intransitive verb
: to stop people on the street and ask for food or money : beg

transitive verb
Yes, you are right.

Asking for donations for a trip and panhandling are the exact same thing.

Much the same as killing a bug and killing a dog are the exact same thing.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
OK, perhaps the "act" of asking for donations is not what I think is wrong. I think it is HOW it is done, or the assumption that the kids "deserve" it. If someone came up to me and politely and humbly asked for a small donation for something they'd been working very hard on, I might think of it as "a good cause." For a mom to come up and say I should be proud to be represented by her daughter is a bit much; and treating them to nice dinners with the left over money? please.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Because, FTMP, things like competitions are only known for a few months ahead of time, not years.

IRT Bolded: That sounds awfully, awfully bitter.
IKB stated that the students had been working toward this competition for 4 years. Plenty of time to think ahead as to how it would be paid for.

I am not bitter at all. I've paid my way, I've given when I felt it was a worthy cause, and I fully support area fund raisers. I just don't support taking the easy way out in life.

But, for the record, IKB is also saying that one student, due to circumstances beyond her control, needed donations to fund her trip. That would be a worthy cause in my book. An entire team thinking they can pay for a trip by holding up a jar is short-sighted and lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting