Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So the child spent 4 years preparing, win the state and then the regional, someone mismanages the money at the organization level, and tell the kid "too bad you are poor you can't go" and people wonder why children are disaffected.
I'm the child of parents who were desperately poor during the Great Depression. Yes. It has affected the way I think. I make NO apologies for that.

You think my parents weren't told "too bad you are poor you can't go"? I'm here to tell you they were. They didn't become "disaffected". They grew up, one of them went to war, one of them was supporting her siblings when she was 16, and they worked their buns off for every single thing they had. Every. Single. Thing.

Yeah. It affected me. They raised me to work for what I have. I see some kid outside a supermarket holding out a jar asking me for money so he can take a trip someplace (while I have my own bills to pay) and I'm going to offer to let him wash was my car. I'm not worried about Junior growing up to be disaffected because everything isn't handed to him. How about we let him learn that life is hard and (especially in today's economy) it isn't necessairly fair? If things continue to go downhill it's a lesson a lot of people are going to have to learn.

You wash my car. I give you money. Seems fair to me.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-27-2011 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: It's all in how you look at things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They're cheerleaders. If they want me to give them money, then I want to see them cheer. I don't care if they're any good.

When my high school marching band had a fundraiser, it was held at the football field. We performed our drill and charged people to come. It included a hotdog and soda. The proceeds went to send us to Disney World to perform in the Mickey Mouse Parade.

When I was a street musician, I played for my supper - literally. Storytellers tell stories to earn money. Performers of all sorts, perform, if they want money to do the things they want to do.

Is there something offensive about expecting cheerleaders to cheer in exchange for the money they are requesting from strangers?
No! The same cousin who sent the e-mail asking for money to go to nationals, also invited my family to the HS gym to watch their performance. I don't know if it was a thank you for people who'd donated or if we paid to go, or what, but I'm sure there was some connection.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There is nothing wrong with raising funds. Panhandling is different.
Do you expect something in return for every dime you give?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They're cheerleaders. If they want me to give them money, then I want to see them cheer. I don't care if they're any good.

When my high school marching band had a fundraiser, it was held at the football field. We performed our drill and charged people to come. It included a hotdog and soda. The proceeds went to send us to Disney World to perform in the Mickey Mouse Parade.

When I was a street musician, I played for my supper - literally. Storytellers tell stories to earn money. Performers of all sorts, perform, if they want money to do the things they want to do.

Is there something offensive about expecting cheerleaders to cheer in exchange for the money they are requesting from strangers?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Giving to a charity so starving people can eat is a little different than giving money so a kid can go to a cheerleading competition.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,250 times
I think I forgot the original question.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Giving to a charity so starving people can eat is a little different than giving money so a kid can go to a cheerleading competition.
Yes, it is different. But my question remains the same.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
The mom tells me how lucky I should feel to be represented by such a find group of girls
That's a little strange to me too.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, it is different. But my question remains the same.
You weren't asking me, but quite obviously I don't expect the poor people to dance for me before I donate money to the Salvation Army. It is completely different than thinking it would be a nice idea for a cheerleading squad to put on a performance to earn money. 2. totally. different. things.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If these kids have been working towards this goal for 4 years, then why haven't they addressed the fundraising aspect beforehand?

Yes, People should NOT be asked to just hand over money. I have no problem giving to the truly needy, the ones who have tried to find work, who have kids to feed, who have disabilities limiting them. I DO have a problem being asked to fork over money to make somebody else's dream happen. I have dreams too. Reality happens.
I was talking specifically about the one time we fund raised for a single student who won the right to represent our state and region at nationals and was then told at the last minute she would have to pay her own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting