Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times

Advertisements

Careful - you're starting to sound a little holier than thou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Can you tell me why its ok for kids to beg for money without doing anything else in return for the donations?
Because I think the community should help out kids when they are involved in a positive activity. Begging? Were the girls groveling on the ground for money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Can you tell me what is wrong with expecting kids to DO SOMETHING in return for money they ask for from others?

I don't think there is anything wrong with fundraising. I also don't think there is anything wrong with asking for donations either.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Careful - you're starting to sound a little holier than thou.
Example, please?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because I think the community should help out kids when they are involved in a positive activity. Begging? Were the girls groveling on the ground for money?

I don't think there is anything wrong with fundraising. I also don't think there is anything wrong with asking for donations either.
This is most likely a club cheerleading event, since high school sports don't have "nationals". Before you say "so what?", these are kids who are paying fairly hefty dues and buying pricey outfits. They can probably afford to pay their own way, they just want to get other people to help them out.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is most likely a club cheerleading event, since high school sports don't have "nationals". Before you say "so what?", these are kids who are paying fairly hefty dues and buying pricey outfits. They can probably afford to pay their own way, they just want to get other people to help them out.
Well we don't know if it's a club or not. I also don't know where you are getting the idea that high school sports don't have nationals. Many do. Either way, it's very easy to say no and walk away. I don't know what the girls' income levels are or why they are asking for donations. Methinks if the parents were as well off as you'd have us believe, they would surely find it easier to write a check rather than sit outside in November asking for money from strangers.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Bitterness and nastiness? Where? It is not holier than thou to want our kids to understand that there is no free ride in life. That the world doesn't owe you anything because you are a good cheerleader.

You are entitled to give your money to whomever strikes your fancy. The rest of us see the value in having kids work for our dollars.
Pretty much. Being a cheerleader is really expensive. It's no surprise to anyone with eyes and a brain, not even the girls themselves. I cringed when my daughter wanted to be a cheerleader and I foresaw the thousands of dollars to lay out every year, and inwardly I thanked my lucky stars when she dropped the idea. We didn't pressure her, but she decided she didn't really want to be part of that crowd.

I have no issue with fundraisers. Cheerleaders and sports teams can put on exhibitions, car washes, carnivals, silly games (at my school, the football players dressed up like cheerleaders for a day), and so on. Hang Christmas lights (around here that's big business). Shovel snow or rake leaves--I bet a bunch of neighbors would pool funds to pay for a lacrosse team to keep their yards clear. Moving mulch is another big business here in the springtime.

Sports groups probably have it a lot easier than the math clubs, science teams, spelling champs, etc., who don't often get the celebration and spotlight that the cheerleaders, football players, and basketball players do. I think groups that will need significant financial outlay from time to time should raise funds a few times a year and bank it, so they have the cash when a trip rolls around.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Because I think the community should help out kids when they are involved in a positive activity. Begging? Were the girls groveling on the ground for money
Lots of kids are involved in positive activities. You don't have to be "groveling on the ground for money" to be panhandling.

Quote:
So will you send me some money so my kids can go to more wrestling tournaments?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Again, if you think asking for donations is going to instill a lazy attitude towards life, something else is sorely lacking elsewhere in the parenting department.
There is nothing lacking in my parenting skills. My kids are well educated, have always held part-time jobs, and played sports that required travel. If they thought the best way to earn money for travel was to merely ask strangers to give it to them, THEN I would think something was lacking in my parenting.

Why shouldn't I stand outside Kroger and ask people to chip in for me to take a nice vacation? I work hard, I deserve one, but, wait, I didn't EARN one.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Well we don't know if it's a club or not. I also don't know where you are getting the idea that high school sports don't have nationals. Many do. Either way, it's very easy to say no and walk away. I don't know what the girls' income levels are or why they are asking for donations. Methinks if the parents were as well off as you'd have us believe, they would surely find it easier to write a check rather than sit outside in November asking for money from strangers.
Which sports have nationals? Not even high school football does, in this state anyway. In this state, it all ends with state, for every sport that I have had kids involved with or known about.

As far as that last sentence, you'd be surprised. My kids did gymnastics, another expensive sport at the club level. It was funny (ironic) that the parents with the most money were the ones wanting to do fundraisers to defray expenses. Now for myself, I'd rather write a check and said so many times. Sometimes the club won't give you that option. They say "everyone has to participate".

Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
I am annoyed at the number of organizations that I have to push through to get into practically any store in my area. One Walmart had 4 different groups putside at the same time all "collecting donations" at the same time. One was for a soccer team to go to Districts. A mile down the road, that soccer team's main competition was having a car wash. I donated to the team having the car wash.

One of my favorite fundraisers I have seen (a few years ago) was outside of a Toys R Us. A group of Boy Scouts was outside wrapping gifts in exchange for a donation. They had 4 tables set up and were working fast (but good). They had a huge line. People get to donate and get a chore out of the way at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting