Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

I coach an academic quizbowl type team. We always win our region and go on to nationals. Normally the trip is paid for in its entirety as the prize for winning the region but one year the group running regionals mismanaged the money and couldn't pay for the whole trip to nationals. Our district picked up a third of what was left and 4 out of the 5 kids who won paid for themselves. The rest of them fund raised for the one girl whose family was not in a position to pay for any part of her trip.

It is against board policy to have bake sales, we did not have enough time to get anything else board approved (we had a six week turn around time to buy the tickets). The other coach and I had each chipped in $400 and we needed that last $1000. I apologize if any of my students asked any of you for help for their team mate who had worked for years on this competition and through no fault of her own was suddenly told that she how had to pony up $2000 six weeks before the competition.

They, and I did not realize, just "asking" was evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But then how are those recipients earning it when someone else is out ringing the bell for them?
Seriously? You're comparing the Salvation Army to a trip for a cheerleading squad?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I went through my high school years selling World's Finest Chocolate for our band to take a couple trips. Then, when my boys were in Cub Scouts, we sold boxes of M & Ms outside Walmart. Both times, years apart, I have had people tell me they would rather just give us a donation instead of getting candy they probably wouldn't eat.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, but who puts on those events? It is popular to go - but they are held by businesses and many of the competitive teams are clubs not schools. It's not the same thing as travel to a state or district sponsored event. That expense is footed by the team - through fundraisers. I don't see any problem with that.
What is a district sponsored event? Our district doesn't sponsor any events so I have no idea what that would be.

All events outside of regular games are organized by a group, whether it is a state or national level organization. No one is putting these events on, at least not in my area, for free. Even the academic teams, go to events put together by organizations. For example we go to one event put on by our state's environmental department but even though it is a non-profit group the event costs $300 per team.

And our cheerleaders only compete against other school teams. Travel and pop warner competitions are separate.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I coach an academic quizbowl type team. We always win our region and go on to nationals. Normally the trip is paid for in its entirety as the prize for winning the region but one year the group running regionals mismanaged the money and couldn't pay for the whole trip to nationals. Our district picked up a third of what was left and 4 out of the 5 kids who won paid for themselves. The rest of them fund raised for the one girl whose family was not in a position to pay for any part of her trip.

It is against board policy to have bake sales, we did not have enough time to get anything else board approved (we had a six week turn around time to buy the tickets). The other coach and I had each chipped in $400 and we needed that last $1000. I apologize if any of my students asked any of you for help for their team mate who had worked for years on this competition and through no fault of her own was suddenly told that she how had to pony up $2000 six weeks before the competition.

Standing out in front of the grocery store and panhandling is not the lesson I'd want to be teaching my kids. I find it odd that you have a policy against bake sales but not against what basically amounts to begging for money. Quiety fundraising for a special circumstance such as you describe is not the same thing. Again.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Standing out in front of the grocery store and panhandling is not the lesson I'd want to be teaching my kids. I find it odd that you have a policy against bake sales but not against what basically amounts to begging for money. Quiety fundraising for a special circumstance such as you describe is not the same thing. Again.
They sent letters out, which many people in this thread has said is same thing as panhandling.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Bake sales can be a liability because of allergies and lack of proper food handling. You don't want to get blamed for making someone sick.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

It's not evil. It is presumptuous though. I think it is in poor taste to simply beg for money no matter how great an experience a trip may be.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I think it would totally depend on my mood at the time, who was asking, and what kind of trip it was.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's not evil. It is presumptuous though. I think it is in poor taste to simply beg for money no matter how great an experience a trip may be.
So basically only well off children should participate in any after school activity that has expenses above and beyond what the district chooses to pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting