Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Either walk over and talk to the mother, or call CPS, or both. If you know of abuse, call CPS. If the child isn't being fed, call CPS. If the child is being left at your house with no access to his mother, he is abandoned: call CPS. You said there is an open case but not enough evidence. How can they get evidence if no one tells them what is going on?

BUT FIRST

A warning: not everything an 8-year-old says is true. My friend (from a good family) tells me that when she was that age she convinced her teacher that she was one of 10 siblings and had to spend most of her time taking care of the little ones. (She was one of three.) I had a neighbor boy at my house one night until his aunt arrived home at about midnight. He had told me no one was at his house. It turned out his grandmother had been there - but asleep - the whole time and had thought he was with his aunt. Also, "There's nothing to eat at my house," may mean, "There's nothing I want to eat at my house."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
How about if YOU go to the apartment office instead of him? Tell them there's an unsupervised child who's mom is not home. If his mom gets mad, it can't be at him. Every time he's alone and comes to your house do this, along with letting the school know and/or calling the police yourself. And at some point, his mom HAS to come home...go over asap and talk to her.

I know you feel bad for the child, but if you don't feel bad enough to take him in permenently or continue to let his mom use you, you have to put a stop to it.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Either walk over and talk to the mother, or call CPS, or both. If you know of abuse, call CPS. If the child isn't being fed, call CPS. If the child is being left at your house with no access to his mother, he is abandoned: call CPS. You said there is an open case but not enough evidence. How can they get evidence if no one tells them what is going on?

BUT FIRST

A warning: not everything an 8-year-old says is true. My friend (from a good family) tells me that when she was that age she convinced her teacher that she was one of 10 siblings and had to spend most of her time taking care of the little ones. (She was one of three.) I had a neighbor boy at my house one night until his aunt arrived home at about midnight. He had told me no one was at his house. It turned out his grandmother had been there - but asleep - the whole time and had thought he was with his aunt. Also, "There's nothing to eat at my house," may mean, "There's nothing I want to eat at my house."
Quite true.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
His mother is not home again! This is really getting on my nerves. She is probably out "getting lost" again since she just got approved for an emergency section 8 placement. How to say "I am not your freaking babysitter" and not come across wrong. She told he son that he would get in trouble if he went to the apartment office again if she wasn't home when he got home. I think this is why some people should not be parents.
I would offer suggestions, but you never answered my questions. You also appear to be a help seeker and a help rejector. You were given great advice already.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
How about if YOU go to the apartment office instead of him? Tell them there's an unsupervised child who's mom is not home. If his mom gets mad, it can't be at him. Every time he's alone and comes to your house do this, along with letting the school know and/or calling the police yourself. And at some point, his mom HAS to come home...go over asap and talk to her.

I know you feel bad for the child, but if you don't feel bad enough to take him in permenently or continue to let his mom use you, you have to put a stop to it.
They (the mother and her "husband" of the day) finally showed up. I did go to the apartment management and got phone numbers that they have on file. All are out dated. The school has been trying to contact the mother since he enrolled this year.

I never agreed or offered to walk him to or from school. It all started about a month ago when the boys would leave around the same time. The other child ran all the way to school and was not paying attention to lights or anything because his mother claimed (and told him) that he got kicked out of the other school for being late all the time. She has never once taken him to school. His grandfather enrolled him in school. So, my son invited the child to walk with us since I walk my son to and from school everyday.

The occasional playdate was compounded when the reading teacher asked my son and I to help the other child read daily since he is 2 grades behind and I volunteer in the classroom on reading and math. Well that turned into the mess I have now.

I believe there was little to no food in the house. On Friday I entered the apartment with management and maintenance just to make sure the place is empty. I'm no perfect housekeeper but I at least make sure my kid has a safe and clean place to live.

I'm only two months from being out on the street myself but you would never know it. My son wears clean and kept clothes everyday and has been taught manners. I just don't understand how people can allow their children to wear torn clothes, go without food, and go to unknown houses. I can't really judge her, I just think I have different priorities. It amazes his teacher when we talk about our home life. I eat 3-4 times a week so that he can have breakfast/lunch/dinner everyday. I haven't had a new shirt or pair of pants in 5 years because he keeps growing and needs clothes. The public library is free and so are going for walks. My son entered kindergarten knowing how to read, write, and do basic math. I just don't understand parents who don't help their kids with the basic things in life.

Sorry for the rant, but it just amazes me. I think I have my priorities right, play honest and fair, and get the short end of everything. It just gets my goat that people treat their kids this way.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
They (the mother and her "husband" of the day) finally showed up. I did go to the apartment management and got phone numbers that they have on file. All are out dated. The school has been trying to contact the mother since he enrolled this year.
You live in the same apartment building for heaven's sake! Walk over there.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Op, if you only eat 3-4 times a week, you will be of no use to your child. He can get free breakfast and lunch at his school, so you just have to have dinner and snacks for him. Do you have food stamps? If you continue to starve yourself, no good can come of it. Also, look into food pantries and church programs. No one needs to go without food in this country.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM

You sound like a wonderful mother. Congrats to you!

So......what are you going to do when he shows up at your door in 30 minutes and wants to stay all night?

So......what are you going to do when he shows up tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM?

So......what are you going to do when he says that there is no food at his house and YOU haven't had anything to eat all day?

So......what are you going to do tomorrow after school when he wants to walk home with you (and his mother is probably not home AGAIN)?

Have you made any plans?
Let us know.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You live in the same apartment building for heaven's sake! Walk over there.
OP said that no one was home.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
OP said that no one was home.
"They (the mother and her "husband" of the day) finally showed up. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting