Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

And that is the kind of park I imagine, hml.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
A question please. Those of you with neighborhood parks. Are they maintained by HOA? Would the HOA be liable if something horrible happened in the park?

We have a little play area next to our neighborhood swimming pool and it has a sign about no unattended children. It is not fenced in but of course the swimming pool is and our HOA maintains it. We pay a fortune in liability insurance and am wondering about neighborhood parks.

Does your public park have any sign about "Not responsible for unattended children"? As litigious as our society is I would think any municipality which owns and maintains a public park would try to protect themselves in some way.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Ours is maintained by the town, we don't have hoas. No signs except about fires and leaving at sunset.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A question please. Those of you with neighborhood parks. Are they maintained by HOA? Would the HOA be liable if something horrible happened in the park?

We have a little play area next to our neighborhood swimming pool and it has a sign about no unattended children. It is not fenced in but of course the swimming pool is and our HOA maintains it. We pay a fortune in liability insurance and am wondering about neighborhood parks.

Does your public park have any sign about "Not responsible for unattended children"? As litigious as our society is I would think any municipality which owns and maintains a public park would try to protect themselves in some way.
I couldn't tell you. I don't think I have seen those signs around here. It wouldn't occur to me to think of suing unless something major was wrong with the equipment. I fell off a slide when I was in elementary school and knocked the wind out of myself (I was climbing up the slide), I've hurt myself jumping out of swings (I can fly!), I banged the crap out of both knees on an old board when I was in preschool and still have the scars.

Those "not responsible" signs aren't worth the money it takes to set them up (they don't absolve anybody of anything, they just make some people believe they have no rights), so my not seeing them is probably irrelevant. Most of our parks are maintained by the city.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
We are all definitely shaped by our experiences. Here is an image that I found closest to what our park is like. Note that this is not the park in our neighborhood but it is a similar idea.

http://www.red-wing.org/images/conte...artha_lane.JPG
Yeah, I live in a very nice city with lots of parks. Three are within a block of where we live, seriously. The parks are way nicer than the one you posted. We didn't have parks where I grew up, but my sister (a year older) and I would go to the elementary school to play when we were six and seven.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM

This is a local park where I live. Yes, I see the adult in the picture.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Doesn't matter. I wouldn't do one just like I wouldn't do the other, because there is no need for either.

No, Magritte. My mom shackled me in my room 100 feet underground just to be safe.

Yes, it does matter and way to evade the question.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
In regards to necessity (and I don't mean survival, but necessity for any end goal). I don't consider a solo adventure in the park at 8 necessary for my kid to have fun or learn independence or responsibility. So yet again, no need.

I didn't fail to answer it, though it would seem you failed to see the answer:

I wouldn't just come up with an age. It depends on many other factors, some of which include the child's level of readiness (but not all).

I don't keep record of this stuff (Wasn't aware anyone did) because it wasn't important then and it isn't important now. Different kids require different treatment and can handle different degrees of responsibility. But I can also admit that the way I was raised wasn't necessarily the best way, even if I turned out great because/despite of it. Means precisely ZILCH.

This much we should all easily agree on. But when you leave your kid alone amongst strangers, unfortunately, it isn't just up to the kid how an attempt to assault/kidnap goes.

What are we depending on, really? Let's just look at it. A cell phone and the ability to scream "HELP". The latter could be more or less ignored the same way we now ignore car alarms. A cell phone could lose its signal, a skilled kidnapper could go for that first or in some other way prevent the call from being made in time. And even if the call for help is made in time and heard, that doesn't prevent the kidnapper from getting away with your child. Someone could jump your kid... for their phone.

Yes yes, "very rare". But like I said earlier many dangers are rare. They're still worth avoiding if you can reach the same end goal either way.

Thank you!

You need to keep records to retrieve a memory of something from growing up?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
For those of you who WOULD leave your child at the park alone at age 8, did you do anything to work up to this, or would this be the first time you allowed them to be without adult supervision?
He plays in our unfenced backyard alone. He has shown me time and again to follow rules, understands safety issues and is a trustworthy kid.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He plays in our unfenced backyard alone. He has shown me time and again to follow rules, understands safety issues and is a trustworthy kid.
Yes. Our parents used to "test" our ability to follow safety rules. They would send us into a store alone sometimes to see if we looked before crossing, etc. We didn't know that's why they were sending us in alone, either. There were other things, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting