Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,574 times

Advertisements

I'm only 26 yrs old but man have times changed. I've have this done to me and did it to other people. I remember my friend doing this to me before football practice in 9th grade in front of the cheerleader's practice. I actually hesitates w little one pulling them back up because I was a "proud" dude. I made sure they got a good look. They were amazed shall we say. Some of you people want charges brought against the 13 yr old boy. This is unbelievable. Kids do stupid stuff. It's been going on since the beginning of time. This is one of the reasons this whole a bullying campaign is bothering me. I believing it's setting kids up for failure because when they get to the real world they will still believe that everyone gets a trophy and that everyone will be nice to them and be their friend. That's not how the real world works. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

And stop comparing this and saying "if it was a girl things would have been different". If it was a girl, the boy wouldn't have even did it. We live in a double standard world but so what. It's been that way and it ain't changing.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I'm only 26 yrs old but man have times changed. I've have this done to me and did it to other people. I remember my friend doing this to me before football practice in 9th grade in front of the cheerleader's practice. I actually hesitates w little one pulling them back up because I was a "proud" dude. I made sure they got a good look. They were amazed shall we say. Some of you people want charges brought against the 13 yr old boy. This is unbelievable. Kids do stupid stuff. It's been going on since the beginning of time. This is one of the reasons this whole a bullying campaign is bothering me. I believing it's setting kids up for failure because when they get to the real world they will still believe that everyone gets a trophy and that everyone will be nice to them and be their friend. That's not how the real world works. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
In the real world pantsing is frowned on. Mature people know better than that.

So while I agree that middle school kids (and some very immature adults) do profoundly stupid, cruel and unexpected things sometimes, that is not a reason to give them a complete pass on their mistakes. When you do something stupid, you pay the consequences - that's real life.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,873 times
Glad I was homeschooled.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
I believing it's setting kids up for failure because when they get to the real world they will still believe that everyone gets a trophy and that everyone will be nice to them and be their friend. That's not how the real world works. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
So are you saying kids should or should not be accountable for their actions, you are using double-speak?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So are you saying kids should or should not be accountable for their actions, you are using double-speak?
He got suspended for 2 days so how was he not held accountable? Some of these posters want sexual assault charges brought on the guy. You think that's what it takes to be held accountable for something like this? Get real. And of course this is frowned on in the real world but what adult does this? I don't see adults in my office pantsing people once they get off the elevator. These are kid problems.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
And stop comparing this and saying "if it was a girl things would have been different". If it was a girl, the boy wouldn't have even did it. We live in a double standard world but so what. It's been that way and it ain't changing.
Girls got pantsed by boys when I was in junior high. There was a period of time when I refused to wear pants with elastic waistbands (like sweats) for this reason. All the girls dreaded P.E. because we wore pull-on shorts.

I think the rash of pantsing only lasted a few weeks, thank goodness.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
It boils down to maturity. The maturity level of kids are not on par with adults which is why you can't punish kids for THIS type of behavior the way you would if an adult did this. As tewest said, you just don't see adults pantsing each other. Kids need to learn coping mechanisms

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,853,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The op already said the boy went back to school and was fine. That he didn't want charges, etc. It's on the 2nd page posted by the op. It's all resolved with the boy now. I think they did a good job at handling it.

Everyone else is just being hypothetical.
No, I'm responding to the hypothetical. Everyone is saying that if this happened to their kid, they'd bring charges, etc. I'm asking what if the hypothetical kid didn't want charges brought? I'm betting few would.

Responding to a different post, another reason we punish kids differently from adults is because their brains are actually wired differently. They're much more impulsive and can't consider consequences as well. So saying an adult who did this to a stranger would be punished more harshly isn't very helpful...an adult has full understanding that he shouldn't and understands what the consequences are likely to be. A 13 year old doesn't. That's the entire reason why we have a different law system for juveniles.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am absolutely FLOORED by the extreme reactions to this kid. FLOORED. Yes, what he did was wrong and yes, he should be punished. Pulling a prank like this does not make him a sadist.

I really fear for where this world is going when we have to jump to such extremes for normal behavior.
I'm with you on this one. Calling the police over pantsing? Really? In addition to being ridiculously harsh to the kid who did the pantsing (and was suspended for 2 days), it gives the message to the boy who was pantsed that he's so vulnerable and weak that mommy and daddy have to protect him from everything and that what happened was so horrendous that the police have to be involved.

The mom handled it all just fine. If it happened to my daughter I would tell her that the pantser was a jerk but that she was strong, smart and resilient and that nothing that silly would get her down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting