Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
most people who get pantsed arent asked first.
And that is what makes it all wrong. The one being made the object of the laughter is not allowed a decision in the matter.

And if it's horseplay between a few "pals" it's one thing but whe it's to make some poor kid humiliated in front of 100's, it's another.

Again -- kids should already know by age 3, that you keep your hands to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You probably thought it was rather funny -- and you may have done it to some of your friends yourself a time or two. Like I said, that's a whole different situation.

It's how much "consent" is involved. Someone accidently being let into your room is one thing, but what if a girl that hated you decided to film you getting undressed and put the video of it out on the internet for all to see?

No means no. It's that simple.
Then I would make jokes about what she does to the video.
Make jokes about charging people to watch it.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Then I would mak
e jokes about what she does to the video.
That's what you would do.

You aren't a 13-year old boy who was exposed against his will to hundreds of people. If you can handle it, bully for you.

Moderator cut: deleted comment

He's not. He's a 13 year old who probably just had the worst day of his young life.

And the young man in that video was so humiliated he killed himself. Are you going to tell his parents, who will never see his shining face again, that he should have laughed it off and made jokes about it? I'm sure they would LOVE to hear that.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: don't get personal please

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Then I would make jokes about what she does to the video.
Your willingness to laugh at things that are done to you does not justify this whatsoever.

I believe there should be options presented to the thug and his parents.

1. He writes a heartfelt apology which is reviewed and also reviewed and approved of by the victim and then he must give the apology in front of 100s, apologize for being a stupid jerk and how much he regrets his actions -- in front of the same 100s.

2. If he doesn't want to do that then alternative school until he learns a little socialization that he's obviously never learned. Alternative school isn't for "bad" kids, it's for kids who have behavior problems that hopefully can be turned around.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
And that is what makes it all wrong. The one being made the object of the laughter is not allowed a decision in the matter.
youre kidding me, right? "umm excuse me ole chap but me and my friends here would like to have a little fun and embarrass you. Do you have any objections?" Do you REALLY want/think/expect this to be the norm? Im going to take a wild guess and say that you were embarrassed/bullied when you were in school and you never got over it.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If I were the parent of a child this was done to, I'd demand more than two days. This was a sexual assault. And the school sent the message that you get a slap on the wrist for such assaults. If it was my child, I'd get a lawyer and the school would be paying private school tuition for my child to switch schools.

I feel for this boy going back to that school after his attacker got nothing but a slap on the wrist. I can tell you he'd get a lot more than 2 days for this in the school where I teach. He'd be lucky if they let him back in.
REALLY?!

Google the term sexual assault.
This is nothing like ACTUAL sexual assault. Pantsing someone is not a sexual act.

And really, paying for private school tuition? What if your kid liked his school? What if he wanted to stay with his friends? What if he didn't want to attend a school where he had to wear a uniform? First he gets pantsed then removed from his friends and then made to wear a uniform? His life would just keep getting worse.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
My 7th grade son is home today crying from embarrassment. A boy was dared to pull his pants down in the gym in front of all his classmates-boys and girls. Yes his underwear also came down.

The boy got two days suspension, but what should I do about my son.
This actually happened to me (but only my pants came down). Some idiot kid who didn't even know me (obviously, because I tackled and punched him for it afterward) "pantsed" me while we were all waiting for the bus to go home after school one day.

Surprisingly, he got no punishment. I got detention.

Shockingly, I never heard anything about it ever again. Didn't seem like anyone else even knew about it.

I wouldn't insinuate that it's "normal" in any way, but it's not unheard of. Sometimes kids (mainly boys) even do this to their friends as a joke. And I at least hope that the underwear coming down as well is usually an accident. All you can do is remind your son that this incident and the effects of it are very temporary. It's 100% normal to be highly upset about this sort of thing, and even to almost obsess over it for the following day or two. But as hard as it may be for him to believe, it's most likely to make no difference in his life, so long as he doesn't let it keep him down.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i sometimes wonder about the situation where discipline is handed out by some party rather than law enforcement. just because the school dishes out x penalty, i wouldnt think that would prevent someone from seeking legal action from law enforcement. if the mother called the police and demanded they arrest the kid for a sexual assault, could they say no?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's what you would do.

You aren't a 13-year old boy who was exposed against his will to hundreds of people. If you can handle it, bully for you.

He's not. He's a 13 year old who probably just had the worst day of his young life.

And the young man in that video was so humiliated he killed himself. Are you going to tell his parents, who will never see his shining face again, that he should have laughed it off and made jokes about it? I'm sure they would LOVE to hear that.
I'm saying we shouldn't let things bother us so much that we kill ourselves.
When I have children I am teach them that sometimes people are asses and that we can't control them and that everytime someone is mean to us doesn't mean that we should turn around and sue them, just to let it roll off.

The world is full of people who really really suck. You just gotta let it roll off and think to yourself, at the end of the day you aren't that moron.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-23-2012 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted comment

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Your willingness to laugh at things that are done to you does not justify this whatsoever.

I believe there should be options presented to the thug and his parents.

1. He writes a heartfelt apology which is reviewed and also reviewed and approved of by the victim and then he must give the apology in front of 100s, apologize for being a stupid jerk and how much he regrets his actions -- in front of the same 100s.

2. If he doesn't want to do that then alternative school until he learns a little socialization that he's obviously never learned. Alternative school isn't for "bad" kids, it's for kids who have behavior problems that hopefully can be turned around.
We ALLLLLLL should be a little more willing to just laugh things off.
We get so upset over things, instead of just laughing it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting