Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
REALLY?!

Google the term sexual assault.
This is nothing like ACTUAL sexual assault. Pantsing someone is not a sexual act.

And really, paying for private school tuition? What if your kid liked his school? What if he wanted to stay with his friends? What if he didn't want to attend a school where he had to wear a uniform? First he gets pantsed then removed from his friends and then made to wear a uniform? His life would just keep getting worse.
Degrees of Sexual Assault - Sexual Assault Info

Fourth Degree
Not every state has a classification of Fourth Degree Sexual Assault but those that do consider this type of assault as a misdemeanor. Usually this involves sexual contact such as groping or exposing genitals but not necessarily intercourse. If sexual intercourse is involved with a Fourth Degree Sexual Assault it is usually a sexual assault occurring between two minors. Fourth Degree Sexual Assault can carry a five year jail term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If I were the parent of a child this was done to, I'd demand more than two days. This was a sexual assault. And the school sent the message that you get a slap on the wrist for such assaults. If it was my child, I'd get a lawyer and the school would be paying private school tuition for my child to switch schools.

I feel for this boy going back to that school after his attacker got nothing but a slap on the wrist. I can tell you he'd get a lot more than 2 days for this in the school where I teach. He'd be lucky if they let him back in.
ya, good luck with that. I really hate this mentality that the schools are the enemy. If that's how you feel, you should be paying for private school anyway. I also don't agree with switching schools at the first sign of a problem. Kids need to be taught to face problems and deal with them, not run away every time something doesn't go their way.

The OP came back and said what she did. No lawyers, no switching schools, and she and son are satisfied with the outcome. Proof that cops and lawyers and outrage and overreaction aren't necessary.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Degrees of Sexual Assault - Sexual Assault Info

Fourth Degree
Not every state has a classification of Fourth Degree Sexual Assault but those that do consider this type of assault as a misdemeanor. Usually this involves sexual contact such as groping or exposing genitals but not necessarily intercourse. If sexual intercourse is involved with a Fourth Degree Sexual Assault it is usually a sexual assault occurring between two minors. Fourth Degree Sexual Assault can carry a five year jail term.
Pretty sure that meant exposing YOURSELF to someone.
Not pantsing another person.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
ya, good luck with that. I really hate this mentality that the schools are the enemy. If that's how you feel, you should be paying for private school anyway. I also don't agree with switching schools at the first sign of a problem. Kids need to be taught to face problems and deal with them, not run away every time something doesn't go their way.

The OP came back and said what she did. No lawyers, no switching schools, and she and son are satisfied with the outcome. Proof that cops and lawyers and outrage and overreaction aren't necessary.
But what fun is it without the kid being hauled off to juvie, pitch forks and fire, angry mobs, court cases and the kid being a sex offender for the rest of his life?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Whether they like it or not, schools are obligated to look for and prevent bullying. This school is wrong by downplaying this incident. Where my kids attend school, this kind of act would NOT be tolerated.

NO BULLY - Guidelines for Teachers

Every school must recognise its extent and impact and take steps to stop it happening. When bullying is ignored or downplayed, pupils will suffer ongoing torment and harassment. It can cause life long damage to victims. Both bullies and those regularly victimised are more likely to become criminals. A school's failure to deal with bullying endangers the safety of all its pupils by allowing a hostile environment to interfere with learning. There is clear, unambiguous evidence that school action can dramatically reduce the incidence of bullying.

Bullying Frequently Asked Questions - School Environment (CA Dept of Education)

What can a school community do about bullying?
Preventing and responding to school bullying is the responsibility of every school administrator, teacher, school staff member, student, and parent. The entire school community must recognize the responsibility to create a climate in which bullying is not tolerated.

Bullying What Is the Schools Responsibility

It is a given that all children and teens cannot learn in a violent environment, like at a school where they are being harassed and bullied. It is up to their school administrators, educators and parents to work together to ensure that this is not the case. According to the HRSA, many schools have taken their responsibility to stop bullying very seriously and have put into place an anti-bullying system of rules and consequences.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's what you would do.

You aren't a 13-year old boy who was exposed against his will to hundreds of people. If you can handle it, bully for you.

He's not. He's a 13 year old who probably just had the worst day of his young life.

And the young man in that video was so humiliated he killed himself. Are you going to tell his parents, who will never see his shining face again, that he should have laughed it off and made jokes about it? I'm sure they would LOVE to hear that.
Thank you. It simply is not that easy for millions of folks.

Just ask any psychologist.

Middle schools are a whole different beast. This is when the pressure to conform; to be like everyone else is the greatest.

No one wants to be naked in front of hundreds of people. It's quite a common nightmare people have, actually.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-23-2012 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: don't get personal please

Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Thank you. It simply is not that easy for millions of folks.

Just ask any psychologist.

Middle schools are a whole different beast. This is when the pressure to conform; to be like everyone else is the greatest.

No one wants to be naked in front of hundreds of people. It's quite a common nightmare people have, actually.

Whatever dude, there is nothing wrong with teaching our children to ignore the jerks in life and be able to differentiate between a bad joke and true harassment. Instead everyone gets upset over anything done wrong to them.

More than likely you aren't going to change people by "punishing" them.
And you're just going to prolong the situation by being a litigious baby about everything and bring even more attention to the situation. Instead of think wow that person sucks and getting over it.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-23-2012 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted comment

Old 05-23-2012, 08:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i sometimes wonder about the situation where discipline is handed out by some party rather than law enforcement. just because the school dishes out x penalty, i wouldnt think that would prevent someone from seeking legal action from law enforcement. if the mother called the police and demanded they arrest the kid for a sexual assault, could they say no?
The school won't usually give out the last name of the kid who did it, or any information about where they live, etc. So unless your kid knows the last name and knows where they live, the police can't do much.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

Whatever dude, there is nothing wrong with teaching our children to ignore the jerks in life and be able to differentiate between a bad joke and true harassment. Instead everyone gets upset over anything done wrong to them.

More than likely you aren't going to change people by "punishing" them.
And you're just going to prolong the situation by being a litigious baby about everything and bring even more attention to the situation. Instead of think wow that person sucks and getting over it.
But you have to stand up for your kids at some point. You have to let the school know that you're watching them and that you will call them on it if they don't do the right thing by your child.

It took my daughter coming home with two split lips, a black eye and a concussion from a supposed fall (which she had no memory of) before I learned to raise hell with the school when I need to. I am never going to be considered a friend by the principal of any school my children attend...and that's fine with me. I'd rather have them take me seriously than be that nice mom who's afraid to speak up.

In this case, it is an assault and it's not a joke. By 7th grade a kid should know right from wrong. They should know that the only pants they are allowed to put their hands on are their own. The boy who had this happen to him shouldn't have to think, wow that kid sucks and I'd better get over it. He shouldn't have to be in this situation.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
But you have to stand up for your kids at some point. You have to let the school know that you're watching them and that you will call them on it if they don't do the right thing by your child.

It took my daughter coming home with two split lips, a black eye and a concussion from a supposed fall (which she had no memory of) before I learned to raise hell with the school when I need to. I am never going to be considered a friend by the principal of any school my children attend...and that's fine with me. I'd rather have them take me seriously than be that nice mom who's afraid to speak up.

In this case, it is an assault and it's not a joke. By 7th grade a kid should know right from wrong. They should know that the only pants they are allowed to put their hands on are their own. The boy who had this happen to him shouldn't have to think, wow that kid sucks and I'd better get over it. He shouldn't have to be in this situation.
A lot of people shouldn't have to be in the situations they are in but they are and instead of sitting around feeling sorry for themselves they do something about it to get through it and that doesn't always include trying to teach everyone a lesson.

If I had a kid and they were being beat up in school, I sure as hell would stand up for them.
If my kid was pantsed as a joke I would explain to them I have had it done to me before, yes it is embarrassing but its nothing to dwell on and that the sooner THEY get over it the sooner it will pass and then arm them with a barrage of comebacks for people who still were being jerks.

No they shouldn't have to deal with it but the more you bring attention to those situations the worse those kids get, trust me bring mommy, daddy and the school, the police and lawyers into it is just going to make those kids have more against the child, the more reason you give them to do something again.

You comfort your child, help them get through it and hopefully those kids will eventually back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting