Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

The problem is that having been humiliated in front of so many others, he will most likely be taunted by some others (bullies themselves) who see him as a weak person. That's a part of the so-called "group mentality." And don't think they forget because they never will. I saw this happen to someone close when he was young.

By taking martial arts, those others will become hesitant to take a chance on dishing out their meanness on this young man. How will they know that he is involved in the martial arts? Word gets around fast. Bullies know who to pick on and who not to pick on. Best thing a parent can do for a child in this situation..... enroll them in a class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
sew in some belt loops and make him where a belt.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This is as far as I read. I fail to see how avoiding other people is a "more natural way" to grow up. Everyone has to learn to interact with all kinds of different people. virtual schooling can be a good temporary option in some cases, but it only delays the inevitable.
We're doing virtual school next year. I don't really see it as a way of avoiding the inevitable, more as acknowlegement that I can't undo the things that have happened to my child at school, all I can do is keep anything else bad from happening to her. We take sexual harassment a lot more seriously when it happens between adults than between children, I can't imagine that my child being groped is inevitable when she's an adult.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
So sorry this happened. I was so sad reading about this.
I have to agree with some of the opinions of not getting the parents/adults too involved and to maybe enroll in martial arts or another activity that builds confidence/defense skills.

I have a 13 y.o. who is much skinnier then the other boys, but no one ever messes with him (not even older, much bigger kids). The bigger football players follow him around and other kids come to him when they need help with a bully. I find it fascinating that my scrawny (scrappy) 13 y.o. seems to instill fear in much bigger bullies. I often wonder why this is.

He frequently tells me how he defends smaller kids from bullies in upper grades. He has taken on this roll of class defender. I think it is because he comes across as quite fearless, vocal, and maybe a bit wild and aggressive in his stance. I'm not advocating aggression in school but I do think Martial Arts (or other activities) can teach a children to present themselves in a way that discourages anyone from messing with them.

My son does not do Martial Arts, but he is a basketball player. I think the sport of basketball has taught him to be somewhat menacing in stance and physically assertive and has given him a lot of confidence. So maybe that is what has helped him.

He also has a "code" where he wants to protect the little guy, where he does not tattle on kids to teachers (though he tells me everything), and where he does not turn the other cheek. If someone dare touch him, I have little doubt he would immediately give it right back. I am not saying this is right, but his "code" is somehow happily getting him through middle school without being bullied. Middle school social dynamics is something I don't fully understand.

E.g. The first week of school as a 6th grader, a group of 8th graders pushed him into a locker and he immediately body slammed the boys back. The older kids didn't mess with him after that and even started calling him "Little Buddy" and giving him "high fives" in the hallways. They even go out of their way to tell others not to mess with him.

p.s. I virtual schooled by son 2 years ago.... I have a CD thread about it.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
the school didn't pants the kid.
The school failed to protect him and then slapped his attacker on the wrist. They FAILED to send the message that this is intolerable.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The school failed to protect him and then slapped his attacker on the wrist. They FAILED to send the message that this is intolerable.
Just to get a different perspective, I asked my husband about this last night. He said "2 days? That's a lot. Every school he goes to and every teacher he has until he graduates will see that." Most on this thread have thought it wasn't harsh enough, but that's just an opinion, and everyone's got one.

What should the school have done to prevent this?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
What should the school have done to prevent this?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
sew in some belt loops and make him where a belt.
he got pantsed in gym glass, you're seriously saying sew in belt loops to gym shorts and make him wear a belt?

No that won't get him picked on at all.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
when i was sexual harassed as a kid in school, mom told the school, and school called the police, he went home in handcuffs and i never saw him again.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
What?! He got a two suspension. What do you THINK should have happened? Hang him by the toes?! Jeesh, people aren't happy anymore with the outcome unless cops and lawyers are involved. These are freaking kids! Why do parents ALWAYS have to get involved for EVERYTHING (some things are necessary) but there needs to be a time when kids work through their own issues with each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting