Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times

Advertisements

I dont know, if it was a junior or a third....maybe, but this kid will be the sixth? Thats a very long line, and alot of tradition and history you are altering. At this point, that name is an heirloom, and it has much more importance than the name itself.

You can look at is this way, at least Henry Louis is a normal name, that will never get the kid joked in school, leave a teacher or employer unable to pronounce it, or get his resume tossed in the trash can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM

19 posts, read 18,897 times
I think it may come up to talking to a counselor about it with him. In all other matters, we have been able to discuss and compromise, consider, and reach a solution which meets both of our needs. We've been together for seven years, and though the conversation of what we'd name a baby has come up before, this is the first time he has been quite adamant about the boy's names. His desire to call our baby Henry Louis may be a carryover from childhood, one which holds a lot of meaning to my husband, and I respect and recognize the name's importance to him.

I want to reach a compromise which satisfies us both. Calling the child by a nickname not at all related to the baby's name seems disorienting, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'd prefer a middle name which I could use, at least, but he wants Henry Louis VI. The natural nicknames from Henry and Louis are not appealing to me: Harry, Lou, Hank, Hal, Louie.

For the record? Henry Louis ____ VI makes me cringe. No, I don't think I could live with it

Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
I would compromise on this. Tell your husband he can name the baby if it is a boy and you will name it if it is a girl.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Your body, your baby, your choice.

The minute your husband carries a pregnancy for 10 months then squeezes a watermelon out of his butt, he gets to choose.

There was a tradition where I grew up that the father chose the girl baby's name, the mother chose the son's. The naming continuity is actually very American. It is rare for people not to select a new, fresh name in Australia. There ARE no juniors, seniors, IV's etc. My ex only shared the first name of his father and grandfather, the middle names were unique.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
IMHO, this family tradition is long established (about 100 years to get to the 6th right?) and obviously important to your husband. Have you considered agreeing to call the child your first choice of a nickname, while legally naming him Henry Louis VI?
My name was the fifth generation on both sides of the family, so no arguments. But I was never called by it, but by a nickname. It is simply my name on legal documents.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

The minute your husband carries a pregnancy for 10 months then squeezes a watermelon out of his butt, he gets to choose.

There was a tradition where I grew up that the father chose the girl baby's name, the mother chose the son's. The naming continuity is actually very American. It is rare for people not to select a new, fresh name in Australia. There ARE no juniors, seniors, IV's etc. My ex only shared the first name of his father and grandfather, the middle names were unique.
this is stupid. It takes 2 to make a baby, and it is just as much his as hers. Tradition is very important to some people. I don't see why this mom not liking the name is a good reason to put the kibosh on 100+ years of family tradition.

There was a similar thread a while back with a much worse (more old fashioned) name than this one. IIRC most posters said to go with tradition and come up with a good nickname.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM

187 posts, read 442,929 times
No offense, but your husband sounds a bit selfish. I don't understand the reason some families choose to carry on a name for so long. For what? Kind of takes the fun out of naming YOUR child.

Hope you are able to resolve this.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
In all schools now kids are only called by the legal first name. My Angel is Lorenza at school. So your son will always be Henry at school. And maybe to his friends as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

I agree, if you don't like the name tell him no and move on.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do you really want to be the one that ends a 6 generation family tradition?
Traditions are made to eventually end. Somewhere along the line some mother is not going to agree to keep naming the child after the father again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting