Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I'm not so sure, from all the violence seen on TV and video games I'm sure kids today are acclimated to it.

If anything, her father saved her from a REAL traumatic experience which was molestation/rape.
This girl is four, not some teenager playing Grand Theft Auto. I'm simply pointing out that witnessing a man being beaten to death, by your own rage-driven father no less, has got to be traumatic. Surely that little girl has not seen her father express that level of rage before ... if she has, that would give me great pause. I think she will probably be somewhat afraid of him for a while after that, certainly no "Oh Daddy, that was WONDERFUL" type of "hero" treatment.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't know if I agree that the daughter will regard her father as a hero and cherish what he did. Watching your father beat someone to death has got to be a traumatic event.

When she's old enough to understand what he saved her from, she will most likely appreciate what he did for her. Maybe "Hero" or "Cherish" aren't exactly the right terms, but she will be happy enough that he did that. More so than if he hadn't.
I would think being molested is more traumatic than watching your father beat someone to death to save you from molestation.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
I think the Father should receive a medal or something.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Too many stories lately about sexual abuse; how many times does it go untold and unpunished?

I can understand the extreme anger that this father must have felt. Who knows? I might be capable of the same thing.

With so many sympathizers like jtur for these guys, way more than it should.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,378 times
As soon as the father intervened, the child was out of danger, and nothing he did after that was "protecting his child". From the point of first intervention, he was just a wild, out-of-control, brutal thug murdering another human being, motivated by nothing but anger and vengeance, and for all I know, maybe even the pleasure of the klll. It is against the law, and punishable by judicial process, for a person in the United States, motivated by anger, vengeance, or even sense of justice, to take the law into his own hands and brutally murder (or harm in any other way) another human being who is not, at that moment, an immediate threat to anyone.

If the father, or anyone else, had called out "Hey, leave her alone", and the perpetrator turned and walked away, the girl wold have no longer been in any immediate danger whatsoever, and any personal attack on the suspected molester would then be a criminal assault.

There are laws in this country, and good reasons for them. You can't just say "Well, the law doesn't apply in cases where my personal sensitivities are offended."

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-18-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are a multitude of reasons why children don't tell. One is that we train our kids to be *obedient.* Often the abuser is someone they love. They are afraid if they tell that they will lose that person and that they will not be believed and thus they may lose the rest of their family as well.

Abusers know how to sense when a child is vulnerable to abuse. Children who are abused once become walking targets for other abusers, too. Children think that they permitted the abuse and that they should have been able to stop it. The abuser may threaten them with a loss of love or even the killing of their parents. In sexual abuse, the child's body may experience pleasure and this is very confusing. They know what happened is wrong, but their bodies still can be aroused.
I remember reading of one woman who was raped as a little girl by her next door neighbor who told her it was her own fault because she was so sexy.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is very scary to me, that so many of you want to make this guy a hero. Here is a man who, when he is angry, will keep on beating a person until he is dead. When he gets angry, he has so little control, that he will start beating a human being, and keep on beating him over and over again until he is dead, and has no self-control to stop himself. He will find a blunt instrument or a heavy object, and keep on beating and beating a living person with it until that person is dead, even with others trying to pull him off, he keeps on beating and even after the victim is dead, he still wants to keep beating him until blood and brains are spattered al over the ground.

And a great majority of you think he ought to be releaed without charges, and made into a hero, and encouraged to do it again (and again and again and again) every time he gets mad enough, and to be a role model for your children. You think he is sane. You think YOU are sane, for approving and encouraging this kind of animal brutality. You think you would have done the same thing. What in the hell is wrong with you?

This guy isn't just a headline in a tabloid. He lives in my community. This story appeared in my town's daily paper, the killer lives in the next county, he probably comes to town on weekends and shops at the same supermarket I do, he parks in the parking lot where my cart might get windblown and bump his fender. And you think he is perfectly sane, because he can't stop himself, once he tastes blood and gets started bashing in somebody's head..

Picture yourself, coming out of the supermarket into the parking lot, and there is this guy with a rock or a tire jack bashing somebody's brains out, and you ask What are you doing? He gives you a plausible reason for bashing somebody's brains out with a rock in the parking lot, and you say "OK, carry on." And you even call your kids over, to show them this wonderful display of human culture and civilization that you are so proud of.
Somebody in NYC recently beat in the head of school bus driver because the driver clipped his car and tore off one of his side mirrors. The family is deciding whether to end life support, at which point the assailant will probably be charged with murder or manslaughter.

No one would say "Yay" to that one. However, a person's love and desire to protect their child--and avenge harm brought to that child--brings in a whole different set of emotions.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
As soon as the father intervened, the child was out of danger, and nothing he did after that was "protecting his child". From the point of first intervention, he was just a wild, out-of-control, brutal thug murdering another human being, motivated by nothing but anger and vengeance, and for all I know, maybe even the pleasure of the klll. It is against the law, and punishable by judicial process, for a person in the United States, motivated by anger, vengeance, or even sense of justice, to take the law into his own hands and brutally murder (or harm in any other way) another human being who is not, at that moment, an immediate threat to anyone.

If the father, or anyone else, had called out "Hey, leave her alone", and the perpetrator turned and walked away, the girl wold have no longer been in any immediate danger whatsoever, and any personal attack on the suspected molester would then be a criminal assault.

There are laws in this country, and good reasons for them. You can't just say "Well, the law doesn't apply in cases where my personal sensitivities are offended."
Yeah, the guy could have run off and molested another child. Great idea there.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
When she's old enough to understand what he saved her from, she will most likely appreciate what he did for her. Maybe "Hero" or "Cherish" aren't exactly the right terms, but she will be happy enough that he did that. More so than if he hadn't.
I would think being molested is more traumatic than watching your father beat someone to death to save you from molestation.
I've only read the article posted by the OP, which said that the man was "attempting to molest" and a couple other vague phrases. That could mean so many different things. Someone in the thread alluded to his being on top her, raping her--or maybe that was a different hypothetical, I don't know--but I did not read anything like that in this article. The man could have been stroking her leg on top of her clothes for all I know.

I don't have much of an opinion about this situation. For one, it's just another "zoo" article, in which a situation is held up for everybody to stare and point at. We don't have all the facts, nor will we ever, because journalists almost never follow through on stories once the sensationalist glow dies off. Secondly, I don't know what I would do in such a situation. I would probably attack the man too, depending on the situation. But I strongly agree that such measures of violence are moments of gravity and sadness, not events to cheer about. I am very glad the father feels remorseful about what happened. I don't think he feels proud or heroic--killing another human being is an extremely momentous act, or at least it should be. If the father is not glad that he killed someone, I don't think his daughter will grow up to either. They may feel it was justified, but I don't think many people would feel real pleasure about what happened. Thank goodness.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've only read the article posted by the OP, which said that the man was "attempting to molest" and a couple other vague phrases. That could mean so many different things. Someone in the thread alluded to his being on top her, raping her--or maybe that was a different hypothetical, I don't know--but I did not read anything like that in this article. The man could have been stroking her leg on top of her clothes for all I know.

I don't have much of an opinion about this situation. For one, it's just another "zoo" article, in which a situation is held up for everybody to stare and point at. We don't have all the facts, nor will we ever, because journalists almost never follow through on stories once the sensationalist glow dies off. Secondly, I don't know what I would do in such a situation. I would probably attack the man too, depending on the situation. But I strongly agree that such measures of violence are moments of gravity and sadness, not events to cheer about. I am very glad the father feels remorseful about what happened. I don't think he feels proud or heroic--killing another human being is an extremely momentous act, or at least it should be. If the father is not glad that he killed someone, I don't think his daughter will grow up to either. They may feel it was justified, but I don't think many people would feel real pleasure about what happened. Thank goodness.
Great post. I do not condone cheering the death of another human being. A feeling of relief when a vile or heinous person has passed, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting