Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times

Advertisements

As a victim of sexual abuse from age 9 to 14, I am in awe of this father. He did a wonderful thing and protected his daughter so much.

It stays with the victim forever and ever and ever and ever. Meanwhile, the abuser gets nothing, nada, zippo.

Well done. You are a wonderful dad and protector.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
First, you are citing old data.

Second, studies show that upwards of 90 percent of sex crimes are not reported.

Third, not all sex offenders are arrested.
I don't know how they get the studies, but I still tend to agree with it.

For example, a female childhood friend of mine (who was about 13 at the time) was molested by her moms live in boyfriend who was in his mid 30's. He was military and served in Desert Storm I might also add.

Turns out, the mom found out, but yet did NOTHING. My childhood friend still suffers to this day from the sexual abuse.

Another situation involved a close relative of mine, she was molested by her own family but nobody every found out so hence it was never reported.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
I.But it is pretty scary to live in a country where there are so many people lining up to say it is just fine fly off into an uncontrolled rage to murder in cold and angry blood everybody who is simply "not normal".
But here is the deal, humans live in groups, and that's is key in how the human race survives whether we like it or not; and when you're living in a group, certain behavior is deemed appropriate and other behavior is not. And what it all boils down to is that if you do something that will hurt the entire group, or a individual in the group, then a single person or a whole group of people will then TURN ON YOU, AND EVEN KILL YOU, just to protect the safety of the group. So it's not about whatever country you're in, it's about groups of humans protecting themselves and it's the same all over the world.

The same can be said for people who get sick, such as a person who acquires leprosy. Automatically the person with leprosy is now a threat to the entire group so they're rejected by the group.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,378 times
I'm not the one who introduced "not normal" into the discussion as a defense for murdering the "not normal" person. Look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it is "just you". A grown man "gently fondling" a four-year-old girl is NOT NORMAL, dude. .
And she even put it in all-caps. And it's Mr. Stern.

I'm a parent, just like the rest of you. You have now given me two choices to consider;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yet you would have him merely push the man away and say to his daughter, "It's OK, Sweetie, he was just touching you that way because he wanted you to like him." .
Or, the alternative:

"You just stand over there , Sweetie, and watch your daddy spread this guys brains all the ground."

Quite honestly, I'd rather have my daughter learn to cope with the first alternative. There are more ways then brute violence to prove that one is "mighty" anything.

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-20-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who introduced "not normal" into the discussion as a defense for murdering the "not normal" person. Look:

I'm a parent, just like the rest of you. You have now given me two choices to consider;

Or, the alternative:

"You just stand over there , Sweetie, and watch your daddy spread this guys brains all the ground."

Quite honestly, I'd rather have my daughter learn to cope with the first alternative. There are more ways then brute violence to prove that one is "mighty" anything.
You are still missing the point. Your "argument" was bizarre, completely bizarre. Its the fact that you're sitting there and equalizing sexual molestation to a boo-boo. Quite frankly... If you think by sitting there and telling your victimized "sweetie"/daughter that it was just a man trying to win her affection would help her get over it... then I have to question your ability to deal with the emotional well-being of a human. That's just compounding and vulgarizing the issue even more. I've grew up with people who were victims, it's not that simple. Sure, they've all had to "get over it"... but it still stains them and their memories to this day. You can't even get it... you've obviously had a very sheltered emotional perception.

You could've made a seasoned, reasoned argument without belittling the effects of being victimized.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,546 times
Quote:
Not to diminish the present incident, but I think if I were a parent or a bystander or a tabloid reader, I would be able to see the difference between being savagely raped for hours and then strangled, and being gently fondled by a person trying to win affection.
OMG. You really think this was a case of a 4 year old being "gently fondled"?? and you think children are molested because the perp wanted to win their affection? How do you come up with that?

Quote:
I've seen estimates as high as 60% as the number of American women who say they were sexually molested as children. If that is the case, where is the mass psychological trauma pervading our deeply brutalized female society that has scarred half our nation so badly that brutal execution without due process of every fondling perpetrator is the minimum acceptable response? For a lot of girls, maybe most, a fleeting instance in pre-pubescence of fondling has probably been no more traumatic than having their lunch money stolen by a bully, or being sent to bed without dessert for not eating their spinach, or having their brother cut the head off their doll. S*** happens, we survive.
Are you kidding me here? You honestly believe that for a lot of girls, being molested as a child registers on the same scale as being sent to bed without dessert? I can't fathom that. You are extremely out of touch with reality; you need to get some perspective stat. **** happens, we survive. Wow. No, child molestation and sexual assault are totally not serious AT ALL, like, what's the big deal, get over it, DUH! I just don't have the adequate words for something like this. And we're the scary ones. Okay then.

I feel sorry for your kids.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

Or, the alternative:

You want your daughter to learn that a man has the right to FONDLE her because it's his way of showing her he likes her?

That just threw the needle off the Creepy Weird Meter. Whoa.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You are still missing the point. Your "argument" was bizarre, completely bizarre. Its the fact that you're sitting there and equalizing sexual molestation to a boo-boo.
What about equalizing it to this justification for murderous revenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Several years ago, there was a story about a little girl in California (Garden Grove?) who was kidnapped, savagely raped for hours, and then strangled. I felt at the time, and still do, that if the man who did it was in front of me I could shoot him in cold blood. .
You can't have it both ways. You make distinctions, or you don't make them.

You want to say that all inappropriate sexual attention justifies immediate execution on the spot? Is there a gray area between "boo boo" and "savagely raped for hours and strangled"? Where do you draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You want your daughter to learn that a man has the right to FONDLE her because it's his way of showing her he likes her?

That just threw the needle off the Creepy Weird Meter. Whoa.
Show me where I said that.

Once a child is molested, there arem't any "you wants" -- everything that happens after that is bad, and you choose the least of the evils.

Half the women in the US report that they were inappropriately touched in their childhood. Nearly all grew up pretty normal and unscarred. How many of them do you think would tell you now that it would have been better for their emotional development to have been forced to watch one human being brutally murdering another one before their very eyes?

One in particular that comes to mind, a good friend of mine. She was fondled by a neighbor in her childhood. She also found her brother's body in his pickup truck where he had committed suicide. If she could have one of those memories erased from her mind, see if you can guess which one it would be. I'm not saying being fondled is fine, I'm saying there are worse things that can traumatize a child, and watching someone being murdered by her own father is one of them. How do you think she will live with that? Even worse, now she has both of them. Nothing got fixed.

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-20-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
What about equalizing it to this justification for murderous revenge?

You can't have it both ways. You make distinctions, or you don't make them.

You want to say that all inappropriate sexual attention justifies immediate execution on the spot? Is there a gray area between "boo boo" and "savagely raped for hours and strangled"? Where do you draw the line?
I am trying to fathom why "boo boo" is even in this discussion.

Interesting choice of words, along with "execution" and "murderous revenge."

Old 06-20-2012, 05:15 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:

Um, no, you're not going to get away with that cutesey little bit of dishonesty, Mr. Stern. Assuming that everyone else is stupid is a lousy message-board tactic. Anyone here can go back and read my post and see that you are not being truthful. I never said anything of the kind.

"NOT NORMAL", in caps, had ZERO ZIP NOTHING to do with a defense for murder, so don't even try. It had to do with your bizarre and disturbing view of child molestation:

Not to diminish the present incident, but I think if I were a parent or a bystander or a tabloid reader, I would be able to see the difference between being savagely raped for hours and then strangled, and being gently fondled by a person trying to win affection. My sense of outrage would be variable on that scale, but maybe that's just me.

An entire string of people have called you on that NOT NORMAL statement and you've offered no explanation. As a matter of fact, you've come back and reiterated that you would actually tell your daughter that this is what the molester was doing rather than wreak violence. So you don't want to be violent, that's great. It doesn't erase the fact that your thinking is f***** up if you see affection anywhere in child molestation.

I've read a few of John Douglas's books. He is the former FBI man who started the profiling unit and has been involved in many well-known murder cases, including some involving child rape-murders. He said, in reference to one such rape and murder of a little girl, that the type of profile that fit her murderer--never caught--is that the man expects that the child will react to his sexual advances as an adult woman would, and then he panics when she cries and resists him instead.

Quote:
I'm a parent, just like the rest of you.
No, I don't think you're anything like the rest of us.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-20-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting