Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Who cares?
Obviously, I do. You brought up personal preference, and I figured you were implying this little girl explicitly preferred to swim next to a shark rather than a dolphin. I want to know what would make a five year old girl actually prefer to swim next to an animal that is much like a dolphin, only more dangerous. And would they not have the same level of fun had it been a dolphin instead? Honestly, I don't think such a little girl exists because as I said before, I think kids who want to swim next to big sharklike animals would be 100% satisfied swimming next to a dolphin... unless of course, someone else leads them to believe that it's in danger we find our fun...

You see... Reasons why often do matter.

Quote:
There is nothing out of balance except your assumption that people should prefer dolphins to sharks. Preference is personal. Including, apparently, one's preference for risk aversion.
We're talking about a five year old kid. You are remembering that, right? They're hardly at an age where their preference for risk aversion (or a lack of it) should necessarily be left intact... if that were at all relevant to this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Obviously, I do. You brought up personal preference, and I figured you were implying this little girl explicitly preferred to swim next to a shark rather than a dolphin. I want to know what would make a five year old girl actually prefer to swim next to an animal that is much like a dolphin, only more dangerous.
Why do I prefer potatoes to rice? Why has my next door neighbor's son loved big cats since he got his very first board book about big cats when he was a toddler? Why does my son prefer Mind Craft to WOW?

Quote:
And would they not have the same level of fun had it been a dolphin instead? Honestly, I don't think such a little girl exists because as I said before, I think kids who want to swim next to big sharklike animals would be 100% satisfied swimming next to a dolphin... unless of course, someone else leads them to believe that it's in danger we find our fun...
I think you are wrong. I think it is perfectly normal for people to have interests about any old kind of thing. You are so risk averse that that is the only property of the shark that is of import to you. Who knows what properties of sharks get other peopel excited. You are making a completely unsupportable assertion that someone has talked this kid into danger excitement. Makes no sense to me.

Quote:
You see... Reasons why often do matter.
To you, I guess. Not to me.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Then the question is Why? Why would a five year old little girl prefer swimming with a shark to swimming with a dolphin? Where would this preference come from, I wonder. Something's out of balance if we're to assume that, I think, because most kids would be absolutely thrilled with swimming next to a dolphin. C'mon now.
Seriously, the above is a bonkers statement.

Many. many kids become very interested in certain groups of animals. Some like dinosaurs, some like snakes, some like sharks. I know a 7yo who knew the scientific names of all the large sharks. My own daughter loves jellyfish and has since she was little. To me they are a nuisance. To her, the coolest animals ever. Now she is in college to become a jellyfish biologist.

Implying there is something wrong with kids who like sharks over dolphins is wacko on your part.

[quote[If it's about calculated risk, the difference between swimming in the ocean where a shark might swim up and swimming right next to one should count for something. You don't see me telling parents not to let their kids ride their bikes at all, or not near a road somewhere, just not in the middle of a highway. I've defended swimming in the ocean because I don't think it can be compared to swimming in a pool (depending on what the person really enjoys about it). Most people would agree they're two different things. But a shark vs a dolphin? To a five year old? Should be about the same.

However, just like I've done in comparing swimming with sharks to swimming with dolphins, I can make reasonable decisions that allow a good balance between fun and safety here as well. Let's see... How bout not letting your kids swim out too far in the water? Just far enough where they can actually swim is plenty; it really shouldn't make a difference to them unless someone puts it in their head that it's "not enough". Swimming as close to the shore as possible greatly reduces the risk of them being attacked. It also greatly boosts your chances of spotting a shark in that area. For one, closer = more visible. And two, the more shallow the water, the closer to the surface the shark must be.[/quote]

Calculated risk? Sorry the vast majority of attacks take place in shallow water close to shore (usually bull sharks). Being in shallow water, close to shore does not particularly improve your chances. Especially since shallow water tends to be more turbid and makes it harder for the shark to differntiate between your foot and a fish.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Why do I prefer potatoes to rice? Why has my next door neighbor's son loved big cats since he got his very first board book about big cats when he was a toddler? Why does my son prefer Mind Craft to WOW?
Okay, so you don't want to consider the question I asked. Fair enough. (Curious, though: Which was the more dangerous of the two, in your mind, potatoes or rice? lol)

Quote:
I think you are wrong. I think it is perfectly normal for people to have interests about any old kind of thing. You are so risk averse that that is the only property of the shark that is of import to you. Who knows what properties of sharks get other peopel excited. You are making a completely unsupportable assertion that someone has talked this kid into danger excitement. Makes no sense to me.
I'm not talking about generally just "having interests". And I'm not talking about people as a whole. I'm talking about a five year old little girl and why swimming with dolphins wouldn't have sufficed.

Oh, and you were wrong earlier. I'm not calling any part of this "wrong", nor am I saying it's bad parenting. I'm saying the dolphin idea would've been better.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Number one, I am not the parent in this scenario so you can back down from me. Secondly, I do believe this was a controlled environment. I visited the company's website and viewed the video. TO ME, it looks to be a controlled environment.

Finally, I never said this man was a professional marine scientist or animal behaviorist. I simply said he was a "trained professional". How do we know he hasn't been trained in dealing with the animals he works with every day?
Ugh, if you think the ocean where sharks were just being feed is a controlled environment, then there is no point discussing anything further.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Okay, so you don't want to consider the question I asked. Fair enough. (Curious, though: Which was the more dangerous of the two, in your mind, potatoes or rice? lol)
I did consider the question you asked. I have no idea where preference comes from. And I don't care. You are missing the point. YOU are the one who is focused on danger as the only valuable property to be examined when determining preference. Preference comes from whereever it comes from and danger may not have anything to do with it.

Quote:

I'm not talking about generally just "having interests". And I'm not talking about people as a whole. I'm talking about a five year old little girl and why swimming with dolphins wouldn't have sufficed.
Yes, you are. And I am saying you have no earthly idea whether or not dolphins would have "sufficed".

Last edited by somebodynew; 07-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: quote fail

Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are. And I am saying you have no earthly idea whether or not dolphins would have "sufficed".
Sure I do. Parents say no to kids all the time (Remember? We're talking about a KID, not people in general? Getting kinda tired of reminding you). And if a kid's so spoiled that swimming with a dolphin isn't good enough, you got bigger problems than what sort of fun to let them have.

lkb, thank you for the correction. However... umm.. wtf?

Quote:
2. Don't swim too far from shore. It's less safe and isolates you farther from help. If you're screaming for help a mile into the ocean, the seagulls might hear you, but they won't help you.
10 Tips For Avoiding a Shark Attack

Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Sure I do. Parents say no to kids all the time (Remember? We're talking about a KID, not people in general? Getting kinda tired of reminding you).
Get off your high horse. I know exactly what you are saying. I think you are wrong and your wrongness is based on your feeling that your degree of comfort with safety should be adopted by all. You are making assumptions that are not supported in the lives of other people. You don't get to tell other people that dolphins "suffice". If you choose to do that with your child rock on. But I don't accept that there is something inherently superior about your degree of risk aversion compared to someon else'. The parent made a judgement that the risk was worth the benefit and, perhaps, a dolphin would not have "sufficed", and I think that is a perfectly reasonable judgement to make.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM

"Life is too short to be boring"?

That's the judgment you can't concede is inferior to mine? What the hell's "boring" about swimming with dolphins? Good godlessness, you people!

And my horse is not high. I'm frightened of high places like horses because all I see is danger everywhere.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
"Life is too short to be boring"?

That's the judgment you can't concede is inferior to mine? What the hell's "boring" about swimming with dolphins? Good godlessness, you people!
Who the hell are you talking to? ANyway for my part, I am certainly godless! That's what atheits ARE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting