Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times

Advertisements

Turn her room into an office for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,077,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujub529 View Post
Does that answer your questions on what dad has to say about this? Am I going to get bashed some more?
Since you quoted me I will respond, I don't believe I ever bashed you, family issues usually run very deep and you just skimmed the top of the water.

Dad's input is important because she lives in his house, I find it strange the court would allow her to move in with all the other issues related to him.

On the most meaningless part of all this, the FLUTE, you gave it to her, it was hers to sit in a closet forever, not yours to sell.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,794 times
One disturbing thing I have noticed would be how great all the other parents on CD must be! How about you present advice oppose to the bashfest. Greatest asset of being behind a computer is well; being behind the computer! You can be as great,mean,awesome,and ugly as you would like to be.

Most of you would find it unacceptable if your child is bullied yet many replies have been borderline Bully-ish!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 AM

93 posts, read 156,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
One disturbing thing I have noticed would be how great all the other parents on CD must be! How about you present advice oppose to the bashfest. Greatest asset of being behind a computer is well; being behind the computer! You can be as great,mean,awesome,and ugly as you would like to be.

Most of you would find it unacceptable if your child is bullied yet many replies have been borderline Bully-ish!
I completely and 100% agree with you!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:

You can also be as blunt as you need to be, when somebody needs to hear something they'd rather not, and which friends and family who have a vested interest in keeping the peace won't tell them.

We're all adults here. If you can't take the criticism, then don't post the question. Sometimes you need to listen to what people are saying, not just take offense or get defensive. There's often a lot of truth in the replies that aren't sugar coating it for you.

I realize it's tough, but it's often not helpful to just sympathize, when people's relationships are in real jeopardy.

Sometimes, "there there, dear dear" is the last thing that will help someone out of an awkward situation.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You can also be as blunt as you need to be, when somebody needs to hear something they'd rather not, and which friends and family who have a vested interest in keeping the peace won't tell them.

We're all adults here. If you can't take the criticism, then don't post the question. Sometimes you need to listen to what people are saying, not just take offense or get defensive. There's often a lot of truth in the replies that aren't sugar coating it for you.

I realize it's tough, but it's often not helpful to just sympathize, when people's relationships are in real jeopardy.

Sometimes, "there there, dear dear" is the last thing that will help someone out of an awkward situation.

I'm seeing that far too often, people are posting for validation, not advice. The minute someone disagrees with what they're doing, or suggests a different way of handling something, they get defensive. I don't believe anyone has to be rude or nasty, but sometimes the truth does hurt. And probably the more true it is, the more it hurts.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

I'm seeing that far too often, people are posting for validation, not advice. The minute someone disagrees with what they're doing, or suggests a different way of handling something, they get defensive. I don't believe anyone has to be rude or nasty, but sometimes the truth does hurt. And probably the more true it is, the more it hurts.
I agree with you and Finster, as well.

I generally love validation, but it serves a different function than problem solving. I wish people would clarify in their OP which one they are looking for. Methinks it would head off a lot of misunderstanding.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujub529 View Post
Am I going to get bashed some more?
when somebody starts bashing it's time to hit the report button. too many of these people don't know the difference between constructive help and bashing.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,309,160 times
Default Guess what

Quote:

The funny part is that no one truly knows how good of parent they are until their child, leaves the house, rears their own, marriatal success, financial success, etc, etc....too many barometers to list.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

There is a lot of similarity I have noticed over the years among different kinds of posts. One really comon one is how do I get my kids to do exactly what I want exactly the way I want them to. These folk generally don't like the answer. You don't. Take a look in the mirror and figure out why you think you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting