Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

My daughter is an 8th grader and I still pack her lunch. I usually do mine, my husband's and hers all at once. It just works for us.

She is pretty independent and gets herself breakfast every morning--sometimes cooking eggs--and lunch, etc. on the weekends. It just makes for an easier morning if I do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Mine was packing his own in the 3rd or 4th grade from what I remember. I'm feeling rather mean now as well.....

Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM

331 posts, read 603,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well, I guess that makes me a mean mama. I'm surprised at how many say they still fix a lunch for teens.

There are several reasons why my girls are required to make their own lunch.

1)It's about responsibility and teaching time management. It's about thinking the night before about did they put their lunch box containers in the dishwasher so they would be ready the next morning.

2)It came to be because I was tired of getting half their lunch back and they would say "I don't like that kind of sandwich". One girl actually doesn't like any kind of bread - lucky kid- and so I said "OK you start making your own lunch and that way we all will be happy".

3) They are allowed to buy lunch once a week and since we get a monthly menu they pick in advance which day they will buy. When they buy I can't be sure what they are actually eating. But when they take lunch to school they are required to pack up what they don't eat and bring it home. This isn't my rule. I think the school does this and I'm glad they do. How else would we know what is eaten and what gets tossed.

Not saying my way is best for everybody-it's just what works for us.

^^^^ I don't feel mean at all. I push personal responsiblity in my house, my kids started making their own lunches for school in 2nd grade, before that they assisted. They do have chores at home, but more of take care of your things, pick up after self, and take personal responsiblity.
I understand for some it works for their home to make the kids lunches, easier, cleaner, etc. This is just not how it works for us. Them making their own lunches, from the "lunch" self in the fridge enables them to pick a healthy balance as well as portions.

Interesting thread....Love hearing how different householdsd operate!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Thanks to all of you for the responses.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
In 6th grade or so, I stopped packing lunches (on a regular basis) and getting them up in the morning. I'd pack lunches from time to time if I had the time and the inclination, but not as a habit. Interestingly, once it was their responsibility, they sure appreciated it more when I jumped in with a packed lunch from time to time!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Helicopter parent here, apparently.

I'll still pack my high school senior's lunch if she asks. I guess I really am ruining all hope of her ever being independent.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM

18 posts, read 30,065 times
My 4th grader packs her own lunch most of the time. Sometimes I will do it for her the night before, but she doesn't like "soggy" sandwiches & I don't have time in the morning. She is also responsible for emptying her lunch box when she gets home, putting the ice pack back in the freezer, containers in the sink, and washing & refilling her water bottle.

She has just started doing her own laundry occasionally also, since she doesn't like to bring her dirty clothes to the main laundry area so her clothes don't always get washed with the rest of the family's. I got sick of hearing how her favorite outfit wasn't clean so I told her when the hamper in her room starts getting full, throw her clothes in the washer! I think she actually likes doing her laundry!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
not to hijack the thread but the best way to get a boy or man to do his own laundry is to turn his shorts pink! All it takes is once of twice and then they want to do their own laundry. Neat trick my MIL taught me. She had 4 husbands and she trained then all pretty well.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Mine started packing their own lunches around 3rd grade or so.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
Well I'm way ahead of all of you. My toddler packs his own lunch.

(not actually my toddler but you get the idea)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting