Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
AWFUL!!! Why would anyone in their right mind want their child to be in pain for up to 2hours? That sounds barbaric!!!
You've never heard of the old warning "You'll eat your dinner standing up"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You've never heard of the old warning "You'll eat your dinner standing up"?
Not in my world, fortunately.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
AWFUL!!! Why would anyone in their right mind want their child to be in pain for up to 2hours? That sounds barbaric!!!
I should say the stinging sensation afterwards.

Don't worry- I'm against spanking anyhow.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
They grow up into adults who fear god. Because for these folks, without god there to punish you into right, there is no reason to do right.
Thanks for the input. That means a dysfunctional individual was created.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
What kind of slap are we talking here? Are we talking about a smack on a clothed rear or bare legs? Or are we talking about a smack across the face or bare private parts? If the former, then I saw, it was discipline probably well needed, but if the latter, then umm.....I think it's a bit much.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM

509 posts, read 588,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Sometimes yes. It's unfortunate, but it is reality. You grab the rear and of some guys girlfriend, you just might get punched in the face no? In the real world people have their limits. In the real world, if you push someone's buttons you might regret it.
And then the person hit could press charges against his assaulter.

In the real world, adults are not allowed to physically attack other people. Sadly, in my opinion, adults are allowed to hit (spank or slap) children.

There's no hitting in our house. Period. Family rules. And that applies to all of us, mom and dad included. I discipline my children, but in a way that helps them learn and grow into mature adults capable of making the right decision when I'm no longer around. Discipline is teaching, not punishment.

Btw, I was spanked as a child. I turned out great. I love my parents. I have always known they love me. But I don't think spanking is ok or right. And I do think it can be very damaging to some children. I'd rather not take that risk, and besides, my hands are for guiding and loving my kids, not hurting them.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post

Just because you don't agree with with a lil pop now and then, doesn't make it wrong.
Yeah, it does. Abuse is abuse. If the only way you can reason with a child is to physically strike the child, you've failed as a parent. You're teaching your child that violence is an acceptable solution to a problem, and that it's OK for a bigger person to lash out at those who are smaller and defenseless. Kids need patience and guidance, not the back of a hand from the people they love, trust, and rely on the most.

We wouldn't tolerate it if one adult struck another adult in public, so I'm not sure why it should be OK to strike a defenseless child.

I'm sure that over the preceding 26 pages, the tired justification of "I was spanked and turned out OK" has been trotted out several times. I know someone who was molested and turned out OK. That doesn't mean the molestation was acceptable.

Last edited by Adrian71; 10-13-2012 at 05:56 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Yeah, it does. Abuse is abuse. If the only way you can reason with a child is to physically strike the child, you've failed as a parent. You're teaching your child that violence is an acceptable solution to a problem, and that it's OK for a bigger person to lash out at those who are smaller and defenseless. Kids need patience and guidance, not the back of a hand from the people they love, trust, and rely on the most.

We wouldn't tolerate it if one adult struck another adult in public, so I'm not sure why it should be OK to strike a defenseless child.

I'm sure that over the preceding 26 pages, the tired justification of "I was spanked and turned out OK" has been trotted out several times. I know someone who was molested and turned out OK. That doesn't mean the molestation was acceptable.
Agreed. I think spanking is "OK" specifically because children can't defend themselves. Same reason it used to be "OK" to be a racist sexist burning people alive because you thought they were witches back in the day. None of these people could defend themselves back then either. None of these backward views were challenged by anyone who wasn't about to be executed, so none of them were corrected.

Now all of a sudden, children are people and not property. Some parents can't handle the concept, which explains all the resistance to promoting far better alternatives for the way to discipline a child.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
So, what happened? Any updates?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post

A spanking isn't abuse. A few swats to the butt with a hand when young is not abuse.
It becomes abuse when it becomes excessive and turns into belts, hairbrushes,spoons,etc.
I personally do not support spanking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting