Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Your parents could be nobel laureates and that still doesnt change the fact that on average the higher your education level, the less likely you're to use hitting as a discipline method.
There's a large body of research correlating these two factors.
Just so you know; Your parents are the exception to the rule and not the other way around.
It wouldn't matter even if it were the other way around; because you don't have to be a Nobel laureate to understand that correlation is not causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
But if the results are the same, why, as a parent, would you choose to hit vs not hit?
Because the results are the same as statistical averages. That does not mean they are the same for a particular child.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
She slapped(popped,hit,swatted or whatever) him on his arm.
Well, there's the answer.
Still a stupid thing to do to a child; elbows in particular are extremely fragile before puberty as well as much of the arm. My dad made the mistake of grabbing me hard by the elbow when I was 4, and shattered it. There is a very good reason spankings are delivered to the butt and not any other part of the body.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,046 times
We don't spank,hit or swap our children, but I am not saying those that do, are abusing their kids.
We just don't do it. If we did however, I think choosing to do it in a public place is wrong.
I think we also have to remember, that even if you don't hit/spank your children, there are mental forms of abuse as well.
I have been in the line at the grocery store & heard some pretty awful things said to kids that make me cringe.
Things like; " shut up" 1000 x, " Your're such a disgusting brat", " why are you so stupid sometimes"?
It really makes me wince when I hear parents speak to their kids like that....

Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
We don't spank,hit or swap our children, but I am not saying those that do, are abusing their kids.
We just don't do it. If we did however, I think choosing to do it in a public place is wrong.
I think we also have to remember, that even if you don't hit/spank your children, there are mental forms of abuse as well.
I have been in the line at the grocery store & heard some pretty awful things said to kids that make me cringe.
Things like; " shut up" 1000 x, " Your're such a disgusting brat", " why are you so stupid sometimes"?
It really makes me wince when I hear parents speak to their kids like that....
Agree with this. There are so many other forms of discipline, much more damaging to a child than a spank, swat, or whatever, that I don't know why people get so emotional over a child being spanked. IMO, kids can get over being spanked way, way easier than they can ever get over being yelled at, cursed at, and belittled. I wish I could run to the phone and call the police when I hear a parent cursing and screaming at a kid the way people can if they see a parent spank their kid.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Shouldn't every parent simply give their kids over to the ACS or FEDs to raise as only they can do.. ?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It wouldn't matter even if it were the other way around; because you don't have to be a Nobel laureate to understand that correlation is not causation.
Who said anything about causation?

But since you brought it up, I do believe there's a link here.

Educated people tend to more gentle, patient and more willing to listen to the experts, like the American association of pediatrics, who recommens not using corporal punishment on children.

Those parents holding an advanced degree and who still hit their children are statistical deviants, and not part of this correlation.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
I could count on one hand the number of times I spanked my daughter. By spank, I mean one or two swats on the butt - as an attention getter, NOT to hurt her. One of those times was when she was three, we lived in a city row home with a tiny yard, next to a busy street, and she tried to run out in the street after a ball. She would have easily been hit by a car. Another time was for jumping on the bed - she just wouldn't listen. It took falling, hitting her head, and requiring stitches to get the point across. Spanking was easier that having to look at that scar. When she turned four, she started to understand when I explained to her WHY you don't do or say such and such, how you could fall, get hurt, etc. I never had to spank her again. I know she's probably not the norm, but she turned out to be a really good kid. She's 26 now.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,450,165 times
http://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/defau...factshsyt2.jpg

Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So this woman's discipline method is hitting them in public?
How lovely and caring of her!

I always see ghetto people hitting their children in public. People who are 'slightly' educated NEVER hit their children. Much less in a public setting.

There are better ways to teach your child besides using corporal punishment, you know?

I'm glad she's sitting in central booking right now, maybe she'll think twice before hitting her child in public again.
Though I have no kids and don't plan to, I agree with this. I think there is a always a better way to get your points across without using physical force.

This is what I hate mostly about my father. He thinks the belt or raising your voice is/was always the best and almost quickly refers it as first resort towards my younger brother (with me, since I would do my best to avoid spanking every way possible, after age 7 he would just verbally scolded me but still... I didn't like getting yelled at). Then again, we're hispanics and that's all they know of.

At times I feel he is like this for stupid things such as being absent-minded, if my younger brother doesn't understand a homework assignment and he has to explain it more than 3 times (that's not my brother's fault... everyone has different learning abilities) and if he laughs loudly. Then he'll be talking how I'm a studious woman because of him. Nope... I'm studious because I decided to and I want to have a better job position in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting