Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Note that disciplining a child in public does not need to involve spanking either *if* you start out by setting clear rules in the first place.

The absolute best way to discipline your child in public is to not have to do it at all. While this may not always be a possibility, review the rules before you go. Don't schedule errands when your child is likely to be sleepy (naptime) or hungry (mealtime).

So, ignore everyone but your child. Stay calm and speak quietly. Whispering will get your child's attention more quickly than yelling. If you normally would use a time-out, you can easily use it in public by removing your child to a quiet part of the store, a rest room if necessary. Head out the door if it is necessary. Removing the child from the area is a good idea and while you may have to do your errand later, using the removal as a learning moment is the better part of valor. You will not have to do this often if you are consistent with it. If the behavior is relatively harmless, ignoring the behavior will extinguish it sooner than punishing it or paying attention to it. Good behavioral techniques can help you here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I think the reason that many of us and can't tell the difference between a spanking and child abuse because spankings get taken to far at times and do come into child abuse.

Take a read at these stories

Sharron Watson Whipped Son Over Bad Grades, Nearly Severed His Butt - True Crime Report - Strange But True Crime Stories from Across America.

Stepfather beating boy in video facing charges - TODAY News - TODAY.com

Nerlande Commandant: Boynton Beach mother charged with aggravated child abuse for allegedly beating son with belt - Sun Sentinel

This becomes totally out of hand.
Why are these people even procreating? It makes my blood boil when I hear these stories.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM

63 posts, read 75,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Yeah, but we can still have arrested if we see you doing it, no matter how much you whinge.
Think again. Spanking is not illegal in my state so you won't have anyone here arrested if you see them so i guess you'll have to harass some other unfortunate soul.

It's folks like you who make a perfect poster child for spanking. You need a good 'whipping' into shape. i bet you get 'adjustments' quite often. If not, it's only a matter of time before you get that long nose of yours busted.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:35 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprazhm View Post
Think again. Spanking is not illegal in my state so you won't have anyone here arrested if you see them so i guess you'll have to harass some other unfortunate soul.

It's folks like you who make a perfect poster child for spanking. You need a good 'whipping' into shape. i bet you get 'adjustments' quite often. If not, it's only a matter of time before you get that long nose of yours busted.
But you can have a nice cool down in a cell and an investigation by CPS for abuse while we work on making it illegal, can't you?

It's not all that surprising that for someone who hits small children hitting is what comes to mind when you're angry with an adult, too. Whether you call it spanking, adjusting or whipping, it's all the same thing.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
People advocate spanking and in the same breath claim that kids are out of control in school.

Spanking a kid is low-level discipline. I'm not a psychologist, but there are plenty of studies out there that track kids' development with and without corporal punishment. Why do people insist on saying they turned out great? It's pretty obvious, even on an anonymous board, who didn't turn out great. Even if you think you turned out great, you'll never know if you could have been better sans the spankings.
If you ask the vast majority of parents nationwide you'd find that the general consensus is that the absolute problem with discipline in public schools is the removal of corporal punishment and prayer, the leading applications for required moral and social developement.

The lies being propogated here by liberal progressives are that children who do not misbehave or who respond to vocal commands, get spankings. Not so. The vast majority of parents spank children who require it. And a spanking is not abuse by any definition of the word.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
But you can have a nice cool down in a cell and an investigation by CPS for abuse while we work on making it illegal, can't you?

It's not all that surprising that for someone who hits small children hitting is what comes to mind when you're angry with an adult, too. Whether you call it spanking, adjusting or whipping, it's all the same thing.

Nice try but you will have to satisfy your lust to crush a family somewhere else. CPS will not remove a child over spanking, even they know most children sometimes require corporal punishment and they wont cater to the whimes of vindictive neighbors or the malice of unstable and lonely strangers whose deepest desire in life is to stir up trouble.

You need to fulfill that displaced desire for attention in more appropriate ways or you could get hurt really bad.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
The lies being propogated here by liberal progressives are that children who do not misbehave or who respond to vocal commands, get spankings. Not so. The vast majority of parents spank children who require it. And a spanking is not abuse by any definition of the word.
Hey now! I'm a liberal progressive--or what would pass for one now in talk radio la-la land--and I think the anti-spankers are nuts. Keep politics in the politics forum.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
CPS does not operate any jail cells, unless you are counting the for-profit foster home system they keep in business.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Hey now! I'm a liberal progressive--or what would pass for one now in talk radio la-la land--and I think the anti-spankers are nuts. Keep politics in the politics forum.
Hate to be the one to break it to you but, you sir are a moderate liberal progressive. This whole thread is nothing but politics.

When you have a fringe group of nuts who believe they have the legal right to break up familys and have folks arrested for spanking their children, it's a political power move. The only way to force an unpopular or unstable change into society is to make the norm illegal.
The only way to do that is through political avenues.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Hate to be the one to break it to you but, you sir are a moderate liberal progressive. This whole thread is nothing but politics.
It's "political" in the dictionary sense as a public affairs question, but not in the brain-dead, binary left-right sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting