Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I have a bit of a problem with raising children and teaching them that people have to earn their respect too. Again, I don't think we have to teach children that someone can treat them like dirt, but I think teaching kids that everyone should be treated with respect.

But I also don't think we need to leave it up to children to decide who is being respectful. And teaching them that because an older person is rude, that does not give them an excuse to be rude back.

I am not sure if it makes sense where I am going with this, but to teach children that people have to earn their respect too sends a bit of the wrong message.
I think you are confusing the words respectful and polite. Everyone should be polite. But of course respect has to be earned, how could you possibly respect someone you do not even know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
In school we were taught, "Turnips are raised, children are reared."
being "born and raised in ____" or 'born and bred to ___" are common sayings in my part of the country.

so things are different throughout our wonderful country.

And I think the comment was meaning when you enter a room you acknowledge those who are there with a smile, nod, tip of the head, or just saying hi. You don't walk past people without acknowledging them in some way. To do so would be to seem 'proud' and 'unkind'.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
being "born and raised in ____" or 'born and bred to ___" are common sayings in my part of the country.
My favorite is "fetched up".

And the ultimate comment on a bad upbringing in certain regional dialects: "He didn't have no fetchin' up."

Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I think responses in this thread demonstrate why rudeness seems to be the order of the day when people are out and about. God forbid anyone RESPECT a STRANGER! Who the Hell does he think he is? The nerve of some people!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Nice post and sadly some lessons that are fading fast.

We did some shopping yesterday followed by an early dinner. As we sat there waiting for or table, it seemed everyone sat there with some sort of electronic device, lost in their own little world. No eye contact, no conversation, no acknowledgement. A very elderly lady walked in was standing in the waiting area. Did anyone make room for her or offer her a seat? Heck no. Dunno, I just find that people are so much in their little worlds now some of the social niceties are being lost.

Did you?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think responses in this thread demonstrate why rudeness seems to be the order of the day when people are out and about. God forbid anyone RESPECT a STRANGER! Who the Hell does he think he is? The nerve of some people!
How do you respect a stranger anyways?

You have no idea who that person is or anything...

Besides being polite, helping someone if they need it and being courteous.....
How can you feel respect for someone you don't even know?

I chat up cashiers, waiters/waitresses, etc. I hold doors for people, I help people who need it etc. I don't feel respect for those people though. I was polite to them but that's about it.

How do you respect someone anyways? Is it a physical or verbal action or do you just feel it?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How do you respect a stranger anyways?

You have no idea who that person is or anything...
You look at them and think about the fact that they are someone's much-beloved mother. Or father. You look at the old guy in the WWII cap and think about the fact that when he was 18 he may have been on Corregidor. (Look it up.) You look at the guy on the bus who is wearing dirty work clothes and see that he's carrying a bag from Toys-R-Us and you think about the fact that someone calls him "Daddy" and that he loves his child enough to make a stop at the store when he's tired and hungry.

Hopefully, someday you'll learn that everyone has a story and most people have earned respect. You just don't know how.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My favorite is "fetched up".

And the ultimate comment on a bad upbringing in certain regional dialects: "He didn't have no fetchin' up."
I can remember someone saying about somebody when I was little "It aint her fault, she aint had no raisin"

Think about the same as "no fetchin up"

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
I not a big fan of overly simplistic platitudes.

I'm polite to people I don't know. But if I find out they're bigoted, abusive, a liar, a cheater, unkind to animals, not nice to me, gossipy, have drug or alcohol problems, don't bathe or brush their teeth, pick flowers at the park when the sign says not to, urinate in public, etc. etc. etc., I don't respect them. And it takes time to find these things out about people. So no, I don't automatically respect anyone. But I'll be civil to them regardless, before AND after I find these things out.

As far as speaking when entering a room, if I did that when either of my parents was talking, I would have been scolded for interrupting them.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You look at them and think about the fact that they are someone's much-beloved mother. Or father. You look at the old guy in the WWII cap and think about the fact that when he was 18 he may have been on Corregidor. (Look it up.) You look at the guy on the bus who is wearing dirty work clothes and see that he's carrying a bag from Toys-R-Us and you think about the fact that someone calls him "Daddy" and that he loves his child enough to make a stop at the store when he's tired and hungry.

Hopefully, someday you'll learn that everyone has a story and most people have earned respect. You just don't know how.

You make life sound like a U2 music video....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting