Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

I was raised with all of those except speaking when you enter a room (it would be weird to acknowledge my sisters every time I ran across them at home) and ma'am and sir. It's how we plan on raising our kids, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I will (well, attempt to) teach my children to be well-mannered and considerate of other people but I won't expect them to respect someone they don't know. I'll expect them to hold doors open for others, give up their seats for anyone who looks like they need to sit down (elderly, the injured, pregnant women or just someone who looks very tired) and not to be rude to people.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I will (well, attempt to) teach my children to be well-mannered and considerate of other people but I won't expect them to respect someone they don't know. I'll expect them to hold doors open for others, give up their seats for anyone who looks like they need to sit down (elderly, the injured, pregnant women or just someone who looks very tired) and not to be rude to people.

Yeah, I agree.
I mean I have been watching the coverage on boston and I respect the EMS, police, fire, doctors, nurses and everyone who helped on the scene. It takes a lot of courage to run into somewhere where a bomb just went off not knowing if another one will. I respect those people for what they do.

Joe Schomoe or Rachel Randomperson out in public I am polite too, friendly, etc but if I spent my time out looking at people trying to determine my level of respect for them I wouldn't be able to think of anything else because there are so many people.

Feeling respect for some random person is a bit far fetched.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
if I spent my time out looking at people trying to determine my level of respect for them I wouldn't be able to think of anything else because there are so many people.
And yet some people manage to do it. You can choose to think about others or you can decide it's too much work. If it would over-tax your brain you can just stick your nose in your phone and not worry about it. Easy peasy. Keep your phone charged.

(BTW: It's not a level of respect. It's just simple respect.)

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And yet some people manage to do it. You can choose to think about others or you can decide it's too much work. If it would over-tax your brain you can just stick your nose in your phone and not worry about it. Easy peasy. Keep your phone charged.

I don't have my nose burried in my phone, more often than not I have the radio up and I am singing off key and sticking my head out the window, I learned to put my phone down on occasion.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You look at them and think about the fact that they are someone's much-beloved mother. Or father. You look at the old guy in the WWII cap and think about the fact that when he was 18 he may have been on Corregidor. (Look it up.) You look at the guy on the bus who is wearing dirty work clothes and see that he's carrying a bag from Toys-R-Us and you think about the fact that someone calls him "Daddy" and that he loves his child enough to make a stop at the store when he's tired and hungry.

Hopefully, someday you'll learn that everyone has a story and most people have earned respect. You just don't know how.
But they haven't earned my respect.

Or maybe in his toys r us bag is a kilo of coke he's smuggling in a toy bag to throw people off.
That's how I would smuggle my coke, in a toys r us bag or maybe a mcdonalds sack, ya know, cause no body really would suspect either one. Those cartel member aren't doing it right smuggling it in people and trucks. LOL

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM

You can't just earn respect from one person and get it from everyone.

I have the respect of a few people and like no one here respects me.

It just doesn't work that way.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:

Well here is the question. What IS respect?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you?
In response to your question about me offering a seat to an elderly person at a restaurant. We were standing at the time ready to be seated by the hostess but yes, I always try to offer a seat to someone more in need than I. We even scoot in a bit and offer seating to other folks who may be standing if we are in a crowded restaurant for example. I also open doors for folks, let people in while driving, say hello to people with a friendly smile. Doing a kind deed for others always is a good feeling. Hopefully my kids pick up on some of our habits.

About respect..I really like how DewDrop phrased it. I also believe that each person does have worth as well. I try to treat each person I come across with respect. When it comes to an older person though, I would like to see my kids be polite, address them appropriately....Mr./Mrs. Smith, acknowledge them, etc.

Last edited by Siggy20; 04-16-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well here is the question. What IS respect?
Great question. (As usual you're making us think. )

IMHO: Acknowledgement that other people have worth. Showing consideration for another person because he has worth as an individual and human being. Appreciating that though a person may be an unknown stranger on a bus he is also a person with a story. And that story may be wondrous. (It helps to be a glass half-full type. It also helps to be a person who gets respect. It's very easy to give what you receive. I learned that when I was very young.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting