Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
My thoughts but, who knows about other conditions. I was cut, as the OR nurse said, "from your tooter to your rooter" (from above my navel to my pubic bone) so, of course, I hurt. But they had me up within 24 hours. I am a big believer in getting up and moving.....
You had one hell of a cut. Mine was a bikini cut, possibly because I already had a scar there from 4 previous abdominal surgeries. It looks about 8" from side to side, but my hips were much smaller than so it could have been a smaller incision at the time. Whatever the size, they fit baby that weighed over 11lbs through that cut. Makes you wonder why doctors do the vertical cuts. It can't be due to emergency because mine was an emergency too. Maybe the vertical ones are less problematic in the future. I have severe adhesions binding my uterus, bowel and bladder together. Special care needs to be taken to avoid constipation. Since I can't have a hysterectomy without serious damage to my bladder, I'm not having one unless it's a life or death situation like cancer. I'd rather have my current problems than bladder incontinence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
My thoughts but, who knows about other conditions. I was cut, as the OR nurse said, "from your tooter to your rooter" (from above my navel to my pubic bone) so, of course, I hurt. But they had me up within 24 hours. I am a big believer in getting up and moving.....
She has a thyroid condition but other than that, she's pretty healthy. The swelling is starting to go down now. She's alternating walking and putting them up. They bother me more than they do her

They told me it was from the pitocin. I don't remember mine getting like that and I had it both times. As long as it keeps getting better and not worse, that's all I care about.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
She has a thyroid condition but other than that, she's pretty healthy. The swelling is starting to go down now. She's alternating walking and putting them up. They bother me more than they do her

They told me it was from the pitocin. I don't remember mine getting like that and I had it both times. As long as it keeps getting better and not worse, that's all I care about.
Same thing happened to me from the pitocin Jersey, it was unbelievable how swollen they got. We went to the doc it looked so horrendous. I had four days of pitocin though, good times . It didn't hurt, the swelling, it was just really really weird.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Pitocin didn't do that to me. I had major water retention during the pregnancy and it was gone almost instantly after the c-section. Maybe the length of time on Pitocin makes a difference. Mine went into fetal distress after 18 hours.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM

Ok. Thank you both. I didn't have that reaction. I had no swelling on the pitocin but wasn't on it either time very long. The first time was an hour and a half. The second was under 24 hours. I think she was on it about 30 hours. They left it on to shrink her uterus.

They did that to me after the twins.

Now the feet look like they are going down some. I am feeling better.

There's nothing worse than worry about your kids.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 PM

I just did a google and validated that over a 24 hour prolonged high dose administration there is a risk of severe water intoxication. So it does seem length of time might be the difference.

I'm glad she hear she's doing better.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 PM

513 posts, read 799,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just did a google and validated that over a 24 hour prolonged high dose administration there is a risk of severe water intoxication. So it does seem length of time might be the difference.

I'm glad she hear she's doing better.
Yeah I was in labor for over 48 hours and had the worst swelling. My feet (normally size 6 in women's, 4 in kids) were so huge I couldn't fit in my moms shoes (size 8). I had to wear slippers and flip flops, which looks even more absurd. On both sides my calf looked like my thigh. There was no difference. I guess some people retain water. Others don't. But it did go away after I got home and stated moving around.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Yeah I was in labor for over 48 hours and had the worst swelling. My feet (normally size 6 in women's, 4 in kids) were so huge I couldn't fit in my moms shoes (size 8). I had to wear slippers and flip flops, which looks even more absurd. On both sides my calf looked like my thigh. There was no difference. I guess some people retain water. Others don't. But it did go away after I got home and stated moving around.
There was just no way shoes were going on. It's flip flops and thankfully it's warm enough to wear them.

I can't get over some of the differences in having babies and their care now. It used to be clean the cord with alcohol at every changing, now it's leave it alone. It used to be have them sleep on their sides now it's on their back only.

I'm sure I'll find more differences along this road.

The baby had her first doctor visit yesterday. It went very well. She's healthy as could be and is only within two ounces of her birth weight. She picked back up nicely.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I can't get over some of the differences in having babies and their care now.
Then they'll change the standard again in 20 years!

Quote:
It used to be have them sleep on their sides now it's on their back only.
Then they'll change the standard again in 20 years. This one made me crazy. Mine wouldn't stay on their sides. No matter what I did, they'd wiggle onto their backs and sleep with their arms over their heads. Since one had projectile vomiting, I was terrified they'd vomit and choke in their sleep on their backs. But it all worked out anyway and they survived without incident.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Almost up to her birth weight already on exclusive breastfeeding? Bravo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting