Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Not when everyone knows a few. Those add up.
Yes, everyone always knows someone. The standard of internet expertise on a subject. "I know somebody that_______".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
That's not made up.

I'm sure everyone knows a few people who let their high school or college grades slip because they cared just a little too much about Warcraft or Eve Online. I know the examples I've seen in real life aren't the only ones, because I've heard plenty more stories from others.

That's even taking it very strictly and just looking at people who dropped out of college. Plenty more have seen their grades and thus future prospects fall because of too much time wasted in front of the video games.

The really frustrating part is how defensive gamers get about their little hobby. It's almost as if they're trying to convince themselves that they aren't wasting years of their lives on something that is almost completely forgettable.
Of course it's made up. Your claim wasn't that they let them slip, but that they ruined lives.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 09-01-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 04:29 PM

232 posts, read 251,296 times
I did know a mid-30's couple that was addicted to online gaming and literally spent 12-14 hours a day playing it on their own separate laptops. They both collected social security for one reason or another (I didn't ask). Our kids were friends and every time I walked in the door their eyes were glued to their games. Their daughter told us they only got off their laptops to eat or go to the bathroom. She said they occasionally would get off for a couple of hours to go to a restaurant or to go to the grocery store. It was very sad. I think that this issue is far more common than people think. I honestly think cell phones are almost worse in some cases. Kids that can't put them down while they walk, eat, drive, or go to the bathroom is an issue.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM

674 posts, read 611,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Of course it's made up. Your claim wasn't that they let them slip, but that they ruined lives.
Actually, I said I've seen people drop out of school over games.

You can ruin your life either through dropping out or through getting terrible grades and killing your future that way.

And, again, I've seen both firsthand from people who spent most of their time playing video games when they should have been studying. That's not made up.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:

You can ruin your life either through dropping out or through getting terrible grades and killing your future that way.

And, again, I've seen both firsthand from people who spent most of their time playing video games when they should have been studying. That's not made up.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:59 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:

Oh spare me. The video games didn't make them drop out, their weak minds made them.

There are plenty of people who play videos and are successful. My brother has an Xbox and plays with his friends at night. He has a job, a girl friend, he doesn't spend all day playing video games and he's doing just fine.

Video games don't make people fail at life, people fail at like because THEY suck at balancing their time.
Just like it isn't the foods fault someone is fat, it's their fault.
It isn't the guns fault, it's the shooters fault.
I have a ps4, a laptop, an iPhone, all sorts of techy devices. Look at my Facebook page. I'm out living life, seeing the U.S., experiencing life. I've been to San Diego to now in Kansas in just two days.
It's all about balance.

Don't blame video games, blame the idiots who can't balance their lives.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I played A LOT of Nintendo, Doom, Wallenstein, Mortal Combat Diablo ect growing up in the 80's/90's and look at me now... I'm at zero violent outburst, suicides, devil worshiping or mass-shootings, awesome hand-eye coordination, good imagination as well as getting all nostalgic about old games and posting stuff while I should be working!

My kids all play games... to us they are like movies, only better. I remain convinced they are far more beneficial in many ways than sitting passively in front of a TV or theater screen too.

It's kind of funny because my wife just about the same age as me, didn't play games as a kid and is of the old mindset that video games are bad for you.

It's too bad she grew up in a world where "video games (were) for boys"... my daughters play just as much as my son and the idea that video games are "boy stuff" is as foreign and ridiculous as saying that women shouldn't drive or vote to them.

It seems the bottom line in this argument is that players say gaming is good and non-players say gaming is bad. It's kind of like smoking... Nonsmokers unanimously agree that it's better to not smoke while all smokers agree that... they would like to quit smoking.

I guess it's NOT like that... Gamers WIN!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 PM

674 posts, read 611,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Oh spare me. The video games didn't make them drop out, their weak minds made them.

There are plenty of people who play videos and are successful. My brother has an Xbox and plays with his friends at night. He has a job, a girl friend, he doesn't spend all day playing video games and he's doing just fine.

Video games don't make people fail at life, people fail at like because THEY suck at balancing their time.
Just like it isn't the foods fault someone is fat, it's their fault.
It isn't the guns fault, it's the shooters fault.
I have a ps4, a laptop, an iPhone, all sorts of techy devices. Look at my Facebook page. I'm out living life, seeing the U.S., experiencing life. I've been to San Diego to now in Kansas in just two days.
It's all about balance.

Don't blame video games, blame the idiots who can't balance their lives.
It's more like smoking than a gun.

Games are specifically designed to be addictive. Some people can handle them, but many can't. These are people who are functioning members of society when they are away from their electronic gods.

Look, if people want to flush away thousands of hours of life, which you never get back, and have absolutely nothing to show for it, that's their business, but I sure as heck won't let my own kid go down that road. I really don't want my kid to become so addicted to something that she gets angry when people question whether it's a worthwhile endeavor.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:

Games are specifically designed to be addictive. Some people can handle them, but many can't. These are people who are functioning members of society when they are away from their electronic gods.

Look, if people want to flush away thousands of hours of life, which you never get back, and have absolutely nothing to show for it, that's their business, but I sure as heck won't let my own kid go down that road. I really don't want my kid to become so addicted to something that she gets angry when people question whether it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Oh no they're not.
Seriously, most games have story lines and after you play the game once you don't play the same game twice.
Your kid could become addicted to something that someone would question if it was a worthwhile endeavor.....she could develop a love for sky diving to the point she's sinking all her money into her next jump. People can obsess over anything. The fact that MAJORITY of people can handle owning a few games and a console and that's it's a fairly small percent that gets obsessive, I'd say is the people not the games.

I have a friend in the military, he's in the Air Force, he's in a gamer league. He excels at his job, he serves our country with pride and he plays games in his spare time. He also works out, hangs out with friends, is in school for business.

Seriously, quit trying.

You cannot blame the game you can only blame the person.
Just like video games don't make kids commit violent crimes. They were sick enough to begin with because normal people don't play violent video games and go on a mass murdering spree.
Their crazy azz was broken before they even got their psycho hands on a controller.

It isn't up to the things in life to makes us want to use them in moderation, it's up to us to be strong enough to use their favorite things in moderation. If you can't be strong on your own then let natural selection take its course and when they stroke out at the age of 36 and 450lbs and divorced....it's no ones fault but their own. We can't save the whales all the time....no pun intended.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:11 AM

187 posts, read 270,450 times
Quote:

Oh please, just because YOU can't handle them, doesn't mean that your average person will immediately become a video game addict the second they turn on a game. The majority of video games out there are non-addicting, story-driven games that have a defined beginning and end. Yes, there are things like World of Warcraft and people have suffered addictions to the games... but if it wasn't the game, their weak minds would simply latch onto something else. It's the weak-minded person, not the game.

Do you let your kids watch TV? I would say society, at least American society, has a far larger TV addiction problem than video game addiction. Your average American watches 5 hours of TV per day... and it's mostly socially acceptable! You tell me that isn't cutting into many people's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting