Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Well, with the tiny difference that the OP's child is 2, and the old guy is obviously just a little bit older, and you would think should be a bit smarter and more mature, and should've by now figured out simple social rules and basic human courtesy, like not making snide comments to strangers. But I guess some people never really mature past toddlerhood.
Still --- he's free to be rude whether he should be or shouldn't be.

I think when you decide to take kids out in public, you're going to get some people telling you how cute they are, others don't think they're so cute -- it's just how it is. You can't control other people opinions but you can decide if you care about their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
We are moving quickly past the candy section with the giant boxes of gum.
Back to this little nugget.

Why in the name of Willy Wonka were you anywhere near the candy section? With a two-year old? You rolled a cart carrying a grumpy two year old down the candy aisle in Costco?

Think..... mothers and fathers of America. THINK!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Why in the name of Willy Wonka were you anywhere near the candy section? With a two-year old? You rolled a cart carrying a grumpy two year old down the candy aisle in Costco?

This IMO is exactly what this thread is about. People giving advice when they shouldn't butt in.

Realize that you are asking a tired mother, whose husband isn't around to help with the kids, who has had a bad day, to go around out of her way to avoid the candy section of a Cosco. The candy section I've seen at Costco is huge, so you are suggesting that she must walk around it to avoid problems with her 2 year old? Maybe you should THINK!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Everyone expresses their grumpiness in different ways. Some get road rage. Some tell the cashier "no wonder you're just a cashier, you're too stupid to do anything else" when they don't get the price that they wanted on their 5-pack of pens. Some post on an internet forum about how old men comment to someone else, about a third person's child. And some - like 2-year-old children, have temper tantrums.

Most people don't act out the simple social rules and basic human courtesy 24/7. As I said - sometimes people get grumpy. And just like that 2-year-old, sometimes they express their grumpiness. If it's okay for a 2-year-old to do, then it's okay for a 70-year-old to do. And I'd say - it's probably even MORE okay for the 70-year-old to do, because he's lived long enough to have earned the right to express his grumpiness. The 2-year-old hasn't been alive even as long as the 70-year-old's dentures.
I don't quite agree with that. Yes, everyone does get grumpy, but not everyone chooses to express it in a way that's offensive to others. Toddlers do it because they haven't learned otherwise yet - yet we teach them that some ways of expressing their emotions are inappropriate, like tantrums, or hitting or saying mean things to someone else. I guess some just never learn that lesson? I get grumpy, but I don't go around making random rude comments. By that logic, next time can I comment out loud about how horrible that lady's outfit is, or how this old guy's pretty wife is clearly a goldigger, or something equally offensive, just because I feel grumpy at the moment? Or is it only mothers with young kids that can be subjected to these comments?

Making unsolicited offensive comments to a stranger in public is uncultured and rude, simple as that. Doesn't matter if you're 75 or 15. Intelligent people learn to keep their thoughts and their grumpiness to themselves, especially on matters that absolutely don't concern them. People sticking their nose in others' business is a major pet peeve of mine.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
"Well, I guess we know who's here to pick up his dementia meds and diapers!"

Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Uh, at least at our Costco, there is no way to get to the pharmacy without passing the candy.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddiva View Post
I usually ignore random strangers, or give them an eyeroll and go about my business. If it's been one of those days and I just can't keep it in any longer, my default is usually sarcasm and I'd say something like:

Judgmental much?

You had your chance to screw up your kids, now it's my turn. (I used this one a lot when I knew they had kids, especially if i knew their kids weren't perfect.)

It must be nice to be perfect and have perfect children.
Especially since in his generation, dads probably had 0% of the responsibility of actually raising the child.
But you know, he's the bad-ass toddler whisperer now, beeyowtches!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh, at least at our Costco, there is no way to get to the pharmacy without passing the candy.
At ours it's paralleling the cashiers. So you have cashiers on one side and the candy/gum on the other.

Just as the other gentleman has the right to do what he wants, the OP does too. Ignore or engage.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Maybe you should THINK!!!
Oh, I did think. Oh, yes indeed I thought! I thought about what we did back in the Paleolithic Era (Detour and Distraction to avoid the candy coated Dinosaur eggs) since I'm old and grumpy and noticed all kinds of ageism in this thread.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wait...
Kid asks for gum
Mom says no
Man says "well, I guess we know who is in charge in that household!!"

How on earth is that unsolicited parenting advice? NO advice was given at all!

Why would you be annoyed at that? You should be happy that he saw that YOU are in charge, as the kid did not get the gum.
Agree, guy was either being a jerk or trying to be funny. Why would a kid be in charge anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting