Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
What schools have men using the bathrooms? None that I know of.

Most kindergartens, btw, have bathrooms in the classroom and most elementary schools take the children to the bathroom as a class (though kids *can* sometimes go alone if they have to go between those times - mostly though at least two kids go together).
I know for a fact that male staff members use the same bathroom the kids do at the elementary school. My kids may have used the BR as a class, but could go individually(or with a buddy) as soon as kindergarten.

The way our school is laid out it would be very impractical to expect the teachers to always take the walk to the "adults only" bathrooms, unless their classrooms were adjacent.

Our school had no bathrooms in the classrooms. A kindergartener could have run into a sixth grader in the BR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I have a grown son and frankly I don't remember being any place where I was terrified of having him go into a men's restroom alone while I waited outside for him. And I can't remember many times he had to come in with me. I guess our lives didn't involve too many public bathrooms.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I know for a fact that male staff members use the same bathroom the kids do at the elementary school. My kids may have used the BR as a class, but could go individually(or with a buddy) as soon as kindergarten.

The way our school is laid out it would be very impractical to expect the teachers to always take the walk to the "adults only" bathrooms, unless their classrooms were adjacent.

Our school had no bathrooms in the classrooms. A kindergartener could have run into a sixth grader in the BR.
Our schools here are preK to 4 and there are bathrooms in the prek and k classrooms. Interestingly, in my grandchildren's elementary school, there were very few men on staff. And, the teacher's bathroom was not that far.

At any rate, the kids did not go to the bathroom by themselves either. They went on the way back from lunch or recess as a class and if a child needed to go during class time, they went in pairs.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 PM

98 posts, read 95,389 times
I think 9 or 10 is a bit too old to be going in the women's rest room. Now if the kid has a developmental disability then I think it would be okay because he's a lot more vulnerable then other boys. If it's a busy rest room with people going in and out I would think your son would be safe because I don't think too many people are gonna just let someone molest a kid. Your son will be okay he can go in by him self do his business and come out.

I've seen plenty of women waiting out side the men's rest room waiting on their son's and glaring at people. It's not about an adult woman feeling uncomfortable but more about girls feeling uncomfortable. But then again I do think we might see a little more of what the op was talking about (an 11 year old boy) in the future. People shouldn't live in fear so much either unless your kid isn't smart enough to know not run off with strangers they should be okay waiting outside.

Then again I know people who wont even let their 11/12 year sons go to the movies by themselves or with friends. As long as your kid has street smarts they will be okay. I'm not saying that people shouldn't watch over their kids but you can let them out of your site long enough to take leak (unless they just can't take care of them selves or are bad about wandering off).

Old 03-30-2014, 12:46 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Quote:
What schools have men using the bathrooms? None that I know of.

Most kindergartens, btw, have bathrooms in the classroom and most elementary schools take the children to the bathroom as a class (though kids *can* sometimes go alone if they have to go between those times - mostly though at least two kids go together).
So what if there are men using the school's bathroom with the boys???!!! As long as none of them are known child molesters, what is the big deal? The school should be responsible enough to monitor that none of their young students go to the bathroom for very long, just to make sure that students do not slip or have any accidents there, and there are no perverts inside the bathroom. But I would think that worrying about your boy's safety just because there are men in school is definitely an overblown reaction.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:36 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Our schools here are preK to 4 and there are bathrooms in the prek and k classrooms. Interestingly, in my grandchildren's elementary school, there were very few men on staff. And, the teacher's bathroom was not that far.

At any rate, the kids did not go to the bathroom by themselves either. They went on the way back from lunch or recess as a class and if a child needed to go during class time, they went in pairs.
Weird, that's the opposite of how it was when I was in primary school. If we needed the toilet we had to go one at a time (so if two needed to go at the same time one had to wait for the other to come back) because they knew if we went in pairs we would mess about it.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:51 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
When I worked in a grocery store as a teenager we had rotating shifts for who had to clean the bathrooms, you guys aren't doing much better. I'll never forget the horrors I saw in those stalls and how it changed my naive, teenaged, angelic like view of women forever.
Someone who deals with porta-potties after a main event usage (concert, fairs, etc.) spoke from his experience saying the women's portable johns (apparently, they were separated in those venues) were hands down worse.

On a related note of men vs. women in that same article, they mentioned when it comes to viewing strippers and those such adult shows, the women viewing men is far crazier, noisy, and chaotic then men viewing women

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
My son is 9 and he refuses to use the women's restroom. I hate sending him into the men's restroom alone, I usually glare at all the men that walk in and out lol.

I know someone whose son was molested in a public bathroom. It is a real concern, so I don't judge moms who bring their boys into the women's bathroom.
This has happened to me before.... I walk out of a men's room, and then a woman standing just outside talks loudly into the men's room I just left... "are you OK in there?". "Yes!" was the response. Was initially wondering about that, but then made the connection... a young boy just went in alone, and then I just walked out.

Yeah, scary stuff to be a parent.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Yeah, my son is 8 and has been loudly complaining about having to go in a public restroom with me since he was 5 or 6. This year I finally let him start going into Men's rooms alone if there is no family restroom.

I sat him down and explained about bad people might try to touch him or hurt him and told him what to do if that happened, but the boy is clueless. I don't think it really registered beyond him thinking his mom is weird.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I'd be more concerned about leaving my 8, 9, or 10-year old outside the bathroom while I went to the bathroom, than I'd be with standing outside the men's room while my son went in to do his thing.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,949 times
Personally, I am sick and tired of boys in the ladies room, my DD is generally mortified. Its not a matter of "what can they see" etc its a matter of its the ladies room, not the co-ed room and boys belong in the boys bathroom. My DH would never have taken our DD into a men's room, ever. We taught her early on how to use a potty, same with DS. Sure, I might stand outside when he was really young but this whole idea of the older boys with their mommies is annoying and embarrassing for my DD as well as the poor kid whose mommy takes him into the ladies bathroom.

Last summer we were at a water park, a Mom had parked her easily 10/11 yr old son outside the shower curtain where she was taking a shower. This was a large dressing/restroom type facility. I told the Mother through the shower curtain that her son needed to leave the area, the Mother refused so I went and got management. Women could not change themselves or their daughters because of this kid. Management came in and told the boy that he would need to go stand outside. The mother was all kinds of livid but frankly, I didn't care. She was inconsiderate of everyone else in that room and her son needed to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting