Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
For all the reasons previously stated, I like the idea of "Family Bathrooms" and hope to see more of them as society progresses.
I totally agree with this! There is only one near me that I know of (at one of the area malls). I went in there to change my sons diaper one day and thought it was such a nice idea. The sign said "Family Restroom- Father's Welcome", although everyone in there was just mothers with children!

It really is a great concept. There were children of all different ages in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:21 PM

400 posts, read 794,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm willing to bet that those mothers feel FAR more uncomfortable sending their children alone into a men's restroom than you feel seeing them in the women's restroom (where they really can't see anything anyways).
I agree with this.

I'd rather have my child with me in a female restroom then to send them off to a men's restroom alone with God-knows-who waiting to prey on a little boy. Yes, it is more likely that they'll be OK, but in today's world "what if?" is a very pressing question.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:40 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
I agree with this.

I'd rather have my child with me in a female restroom then to send them off to a men's restroom alone with God-knows-who waiting to prey on a little boy. Yes, it is more likely that they'll be OK, but in today's world "what if?" is a very pressing question.
Please elaborate how "today's world" is so dangerous? Less than 3% of child molestations are committed by a stranger and the majority of children assaulted are GIRLS. Go in the bathroom with your son if you must but let's not talk about what a dangerous world we live in, the truth is crime is down in almost every category but especially in violent crimes and crimes against children.

The truth is it is more likely (by many times over) that your child will slip, hit his head, and seriously injure himself walking to the bathroom than it is that a stranger will assault him once inside.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,238,286 times
As the mother of two boys the max age depends on the circumstances for me. My older son just turned 9, but he is quite tall and people often think he is 11 or even 12. He really won't go into the ladies room, so he goes usually with his brother (7) to the men's. Although I will say it does make me nervous at times especially in places like malls where there are odd people hanging around.

When my oldest was 7 I took him in the ladies room with me at a sports event, large arena. Some woman made a comment about it and I told her to mind her own business.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Like others have suggested, I will just stop using restrooms with broken doors.

And check for paper before..... not after. Takes two seconds and makes things much easier.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
I agree with this.

Well, then, you should probably lock him in his room and not let him near his family or your friends because they are more likely to prey on him than a stranger in a bathroom.....

Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 AM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Regardless of a child's age, it's never fun for me when someone else's children are peeking between the stall door and wall at me on the toilet, or are deliberately sticking any part of their bodies, especially their HEADS, into my stall while I'm on the toilet. If you're going to bring kids into the ladies' room, at least corral them!
Lol, a good swift kick is in order there!

Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I agree that seeing boys in the women's restroom isn't a big deal. When I was living in Europe I used many unisex bathrooms (yes, with multiple stalls and urinals) at clubs and restaurants. It was kind of liberating and fun! College dorms have shared bathrooms these days too.

I also think the mom is way overblowing the risk of boys in mens' rooms. All she has to do is stick her head in and make sure it is either empty or has more than one person in there, if she is that uncomfortable. Better yet, teach the kid about how to deal with unwanted attention in any circumstance. Age 8 or 9 is way to old to be getting this info for the first time.
So, it is OK for me to stick my head in the men's bathroom? That's won't anyone uncomfortable? "Teach the kid how to deal with unwanted attention in any circumstance"? Are you serious? I guess you have found the solution to children being molested?

I used to take my son with Down syndrome in the women's bathroom with me until he was about 10 years old. After that, when my husband or other son were not with me and still, he goes in the men's restroom and I stand at the door ready to go in if I hear the slightest undesirable.......... It appears to make the men coming and going somewhat uneasy. When my son was going to a day center for people with developmental disabilities, one of the male staff members was masturbating in front of the young men there and encouraging others to join in was the impression that I got from my son and another molesting the young men when they took them out in the van per a good resource. Check out the number of pedos in each city and those are only the ones that have been caught.

I was showering several years ago in a state park with open stalls when a woman brought in her two boys probably 6 and 8 years old. She had them sit on a bench so if one moved carefully about, they would see nothing unless they made an effort. But, being a mother myself of two boys, I understood. At another RV park, a dad had came into the ladies restroom to check on his older daughter with disabilities. I don't think the dangers of being vulnerable can be overstated in the world today.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,230,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Please elaborate how "today's world" is so dangerous? Less than 3% of child molestations are committed by a stranger and the majority of children assaulted are GIRLS. Go in the bathroom with your son if you must but let's not talk about what a dangerous world we live in, the truth is crime is down in almost every category but especially in violent crimes and crimes against children.

The truth is it is more likely (by many times over) that your child will slip, hit his head, and seriously injure himself walking to the bathroom than it is that a stranger will assault him once inside.
In a 1999 report by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children there were 58,000 children
abducted by non-family members. If a mother wants to take her son to a women's rest room
(in an enclosed stall) for whatever reason, let her.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
In a 1999 report by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children there were 58,000 children
abducted by non-family members. If a mother wants to take her son to a women's rest room
(in an enclosed stall) for whatever reason, let her.
Yes, but over 200,000 children were abducted by family members and only 115 children were victims of the stereotypical kidnapping where the child was held overnight, transported 50 miles or more, killed, ransomed or held with the intent to keep the child permanently.

Not only that, but...

Child Abduction Facts

Quote:
The FBI estimates that 85 to 90 percent of those (roughly 750,000 people or 2,000 per day) reported missing were children. The vast majority of these cases are resolved within hours.
Quote:
Stranger kidnapping victimizes more females than males, occurs primarily at outdoor locations, victimizes both teenagers and school-age children, is associated with sexual assaults in the case of girl victims and robberies in the case of boy victims (although not exclusively so), and is the type of kidnapping most likely to involve the use of a firearm.
Quote:
About 74 percent of the victims of nonfamily child abduction are girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting