Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
When I worked in a grocery store as a teenager we had rotating shifts for who had to clean the bathrooms, you guys aren't doing much better. I'll never forget the horrors I saw in those stalls and how it changed my naive, teenaged, angelic like view of women forever.
Oh, women's bathrooms are disgusting.There is no arguing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
My girls (12 and 8) won't use the women's bathroom if there's a boy their age in there. They'll walk in and walk right back out. My younger one gets really upset if there's a little boy peeking under the stall doors.

I'll tell you what's worse than the bathrooms though...we went to the public beach on South Padre and there were teen boys in the women's shower area, showering with their (I hope) mothers. There were no shower curtains or any way to have any privacy. We ended up rinsing off in our suits and then going into the handicap bathroom stall to change.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,792 times
My son is 9 and he refuses to use the women's restroom. I hate sending him into the men's restroom alone, I usually glare at all the men that walk in and out lol.

I know someone whose son was molested in a public bathroom. It is a real concern, so I don't judge moms who bring their boys into the women's bathroom.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 PM

508 posts, read 663,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I remember my dad taking me into the men's room once when I was about 5. It was so dirty.
I don't remember how old my son was the first time he went into a men's room - but when he came out, he had a look of total horror on his face, and exclaimed, "Men are DISGUSTING! It's FILTHY in there!"

Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I did always stand outside the restroom, which was kind of funny and creepy, while he was in there.
I have to do that now with my dad who has dementia, because he'll go in the wrong restroom. He will also wander off if I'm not right there when he comes out. I'm sure it looks weird that I'm standing right at the doorway to the men's room, but anyone who wonders what I'm doing there is welcome to ask.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Regardless of a child's age, it's never fun for me when someone else's children are peeking between the stall door and wall at me on the toilet, or are deliberately sticking any part of their bodies, especially their HEADS, into my stall while I'm on the toilet. If you're going to bring kids into the ladies' room, at least corral them!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is not politically correct for me to say and I truly am not trying to create a controversy here. But I am getting pretty annoyed seeing boys as old as 8 or 9 going to the female restrooms with their mothers.

This is the second time I have noticed that boys as old as 8 or 9 years old in the women's restroom with their mothers in one month. Even though i am 29 years old and I am not a little girl, I have to admit that seeing 9 years old boys (at least they look like 9) in the women's bathroom makes me a little bit uncomfortable.

By no means, am I trying to criticizing other people on what I think is the right thing to do. I am fully aware of the facts that different moms have different parenting styles. Young boys as young as five or six will be fine to go into the ladies bathrooms and I have absolutely no problems with that. But I always believe that there should be max age limit for a boy to go into the ladies restroom. (public restroom inside the mall for example)

I have a girlfriend who still brings her boy to the ladies' bathroom and her boy is 10 years old. He is a small boy, so people sometimes think he is only 7. The reason my girlfriend still brings her son to the ladies' bathroom is because she heard many horror stores in the men's public restrooms.

I don't have any children, but I KNOW for a fact that none of my brothers will allow their boys to go to the ladies restroom at age of 7.

Your thoughts on this subject?

It is a darn good thing that your brothers are always with their sons when they have to use a public restroom then.
There is a reason that women who are shopping alone with their children, sons included take them to the women's restroom. It is for the safety of their children and nothing more.
If there is not a family restroom available then the only other choices are to send the boys into the mens restroom alone, leave the boys out in the hall alone or take them into the ladies restroom.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:48 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
...I don't have any children...
Get back to me when you do. I'll be interested to hear if your opinion has changed by then.

(For the record, I'm not trying to be nasty. I am sure I had similar judgmental thoughts when I was childless. Things change. Your eyes are opened, often in the most uncomfortable ways, when you have a kid of your own)

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-23-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,731 times
I did not read all the responses to your post so this may be a repeat.

I don't have a problem with mothers bringing their sons to the woman's bathroom mainly because it's not safe for them (the sons) to go into the men's bathroom alone and I felt this way long before becoming a parent. I would rather see a child in the woman's bathroom than read about a child being molested because he was alone in the men's restroom. I have seen and appreciate the idea of "family restrooms" for this same reason. Further, I don't understand why this is a concern in a female's bathroom since any private activities take place inside a stall.

I generally do not believe that one needs to have a particular experience to understand it, but that may be true in this case. Quite possibly if and when you become a mother you will come to understand that your child's safety is more important than someone else's comfort level. That does not mean we allow our children to maliciously step on other people's boundaries, but recognize that options available to parents of young children needing to use a restroom is not always an easy task to maneuver even in the best of circumstances.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:32 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I have 3 sons and I remember how stressful it was sending them into the men's bathroom alone. I took them with me as long as I reasonably could. I would go to the bathroom and then call to him in the men's room to hurry up. It is pretty uncomfortable not having any idea who is in that bathroom, but your little boy is in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting