Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

It's really impossible making an informed decision without knowing what song you are talking about.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 48,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That's all it says??? Honestly we all get tired of such things from time to time...kids are no different and there is not to acknowledge that. Both you and your child are in for a long road if you keep this up.
You said "Honestly we all get tired of such things from time to time". This is actually what I was really concerned about and did not want to say it because I worried I may offend someone here. I think many ordinary adults in their mind view school as no fun and difficult. That is fine, honestly. But it is not fine if you casually and repeatedly expressed that to your kids (especially when they are only 6 years old), even if you truly believe school and studying are boring. For the benefits of kids, parents should be humble and be more respectful of teachers and schools. I still remember the first day of my school, my mother took me to the school and handed me to the 1st grade teacher (my parents couldn't afford kindergarten for me) and said to her: "feel free to be strict on him". I am so grateful that my parents, both of only elementary education, had so much respect for teachers and education.

Yes we get tired of studying from time to time, but it does not mean that we have to sing about the sentiment in the classroom, led by the teacher. As a student, I complained and heard complaints about schools and teachers all the time, but at the end of the day, we went back and focused finishing the homework. Why? Because there is always some "mainstream" message from parents, teachers, government, and respected publications about the importance and value of learning and studying. Now we say it is OK for the teacher to lead a song of complaints about schools?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
Was the song taught by the teacher? Please, I was not concerned about the exposure to such songs. I was concerned that such songs come from the TEACHER!

Not taught by the teacher, nor sung in class. Thanks for the clarification about the object of your concern.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
You said "Honestly we all get tired of such things from time to time". This is actually what I was really concerned about and did not want to say it because I worried I may offend someone here. I think many ordinary adults in their mind view school as no fun and difficult. That is fine, honestly. But it is not fine if you casually and repeatedly expressed that to your kids (especially when they are only 6 years old), even if you truly believe school and studying are boring. For the benefits of kids, parents should be humble and be more respectful of teachers and schools. I still remember the first day of my school, my mother took me to the school and handed me to the 1st grade teacher (my parents couldn't afford kindergarten for me) and said to her: "feel free to be strict on him". I am so grateful that my parents, both of only elementary education, had so much respect for teachers and education.

Yes we get tired of studying from time to time, but it does not mean that we have to sing about the sentiment in the classroom, led by the teacher. As a student, I complained and heard complaints about schools and teachers all the time, but at the end of the day, we went back and focused finishing the homework. Why? Because there is always some "mainstream" message from parents, teachers, government, and respected publications about the importance and value of learning and studying. Now we say it is OK for the teacher to lead a song of complaints about schools?
Talk about over thinking things. Do you repress all less than perfect thoughts or ferlings?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Yes we get tired of studying from time to time, but it does not mean that we have to sing about the sentiment in the classroom, led by the teacher.
This chorus program is supposed to be extracurricular, and it is primarily supposed to be FUN. They may meet in a classroom, but it is not a school function. I thought you wanted your son to "develop singing as a healthy habit and have some fun."

So, after you ask the chorus leader why they chose the song, which I think would be enlightening, if the answer has nothing to do with learning, will you be satisfied? Can the chorus activity not just be fun for Jason??

Kids know when they're being indoctrinated. Even children see through the public TV "songs" about eating vegetables and get tired of those, too.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,220 times
Quote:
I wonder if you were me, would you be concerned too?

I am an immigrant, with a PhD from the US. I feel the pop culture often portrays schools as boring and academically accomplished students as un-cool. But a song like this is taught to a 6-year old by a teacher?

Am I being too sensitive here?
I wouldn't be worried at any bit ... I'd just shelve this under the "your kid is having fun playing pretend." As play is very important for children and forgotten about while all the focus is put on academics. Take a breather.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:14 PM

45 posts, read 48,338 times
It is funny that part of me wants to hear agreement of my concern, but part of me wishes this is not a concern.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
If that were MY kid, he would have been out of the "program" the second I heard/read the lyrics they were trying to teach him, and the people who chose that song would be on their way to being FIRED.

Who on earth decided that this was a healthy thing to teach children?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times
If anything that is a relief of stress for a lot of kids, with school. By the time you get to mid-school, you can't criticize school, in front of a teacher, or school worker, (at least now)without getting in trouble.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
With whom do you think it's worth discussing?

The Blair program is prestigious and very beneficial for kids. It has been in place for a long time. I would trust the teachers. Let the song go and your son will probably forget all about it when they are done performing.

If YOU value education above all else, you can reinforce that at home. As nashvols said, YOU are your children's greatest influence.
Well, just call me "Satan" instead of "Falls Angel". (Meaning I'm being the devil's advocate.)

Sometimes these long-standing programs get very hung up in tradition and don't seem to think about how times have changed. My oldest daughter went to a high school that opened her freshman year, with no "that's how we've always done it" to deal with. She did sports at another long-time high school, and you could tell the difference. They had plenty of "traditions" that wouldn't be tolerated at her "real" school, like hazing.

I do not think teaching little kids a song about hating school is appropriate. They may come to that conclusion themselves at some point, but there's no need to encourage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting