Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times

Advertisements

Sending her to bed without dinner has nothing to do with what she's done wrong and doesn't teach her anything. If this is new behavior. ..well...some of it is just the age and it doesn't pay to get upset at every attitude problem. As long as she's not being disrespectful to you...let her hate the world..hate her life...think her chores are do over the top.

For the serious ones.....we coached our daughter on ways to express herself....same message but less 'tude and gave her one chance to correct what she said...then the punishment was given out instantly and did not keep her from the family...extra chore or doing something extra for the family.

Going to bed without dinner is well.....tad out of Dickens don't you think? There is just no call for it.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 PM

105 posts, read 111,027 times
I think that the best thing to do when she talks that way is ignore her. At 12 she isn't likely to respond to those things (just being honest) so simply don't react. Eventually she will need something from you (help with homework, etc), and then you can say "when you're rude to me, you don't get what you want." Then remind her of how she treated you earlier.

Mine are only 3 and 6, but I wouldn't go as far as NO dinner--just no dessert.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Never did it. I don't see the benefit to either side, honestly.

I'd bring up a snack later, and try to have a calm conversation about why it upset me.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
I sent my kid to his room with the message that meal time was designed to be a pleasant experience and that his attitude was giving me indigestion; therefore, he was excused until he could be civil. Furthermore, if he chose to nurse that attitude all night, it was no skin off my nose, but I wasn't about to allow him to ruin dinner for the rest of the family. He came down about twenty minutes later with a sincere apology. It never happened again. So, yeah, I think it was a very effective lesson.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
It's pretty much up to the parent. The kid wont starve and gets no sympathy from me. Heck, make some brownies and leave some crumbs behind...

Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It's pretty much up to the parent. The kid wont starve and gets no sympathy from me. Heck, make some brownies and leave some crumbs behind...
That's just cruel.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I sent my kid to his room with the message that meal time was designed to be a pleasant experience and that his attitude was giving me indigestion; therefore, he was excused until he could be civil. Furthermore, if he chose to nurse that attitude all night, it was no skin off my nose, but I wasn't about to allow him to ruin dinner for the rest of the family. He came down about twenty minutes later with a sincere apology. It never happened again. So, yeah, I think it was a very effective lesson.
This. Though the attitude was, "That's gross. I'm not going to eat that. You aren't a very good cook." That got, "You're excused" and nothing to eat until a sincere apology was made.

5-ish. They learned to keep their opinions about the cook's skills to themselves. Quickly.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
This is how we (mostly) handled those types of situations whether it was mealtime or other family time. Not to say there weren't times when I was at the end of my rope with 16 yr old attitude and lost my temper. I can't remenber ever sending someone to bed without supper but neither would I bet the farm I hadn't. I have blocked much of those times from my memory at this point.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This is how we (mostly) handled those types of situations whether it was mealtime or other family time. Not to say there weren't times when I was at the end of my rope with 16 yr old attitude and lost my temper. I can't remenber ever sending someone to bed without supper but neither would I bet the farm I hadn't. I have blocked much of those times from my memory at this point.
I have pretty good kids overall, but I've blocked a few things from my memory, too. It's a good way to approach family life in general.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,911 times
I don't use food as punishment or reward so, no.

Quote:
If I was going to send my child away from the dinner table, it would be like this, and focused purely on how his behavior is negatively impacting everyone else and that when/if he was ready to join us he could do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting